View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    So - 1/3 Lesbian households have children; and 1/5 of gay male households are raising children.

    Same-Sex Households with Children in the United States

    People have past relationships before coming out that result in children; adopt; make surrogate arrangements; take in foster children; raise God-children...

    The only difference is while most heterosexual households do have kids; most same-sex households do not - but many do. Straight couples who choose not to have kids shouldn't have their rights restricted - nor do they "hate" traditional families. In the same way, same-sex households should be restricted in their rights, nor do they hate traditional families.

    But - if the Iowa constitutional amendment should pass, it would make those same-sex households who have children families of divorce immediately. So I hardly see how that is "supporting family".
    Married couples who are not raising children should be arrested for defrauding the state.

  2. #292
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I agree. If my gall called me her "partner" I'd take it as an insult because "partner" doesn't denote any level of affection or intimacy.

    I suspect that straight couples who call each other "partner" do so to make their gay friends feel more accepted. IMO it's the gay friends who should start calling their significant other "husband" or "wife" as appropriate.
    I actually agree with you here. Again, I don't really care what people call one another, but "partner" has worked its way into the lexicon (shortened from "life partner"), and it will not be easy to remove.

    How the word got there, though, was the result trying to come up with something other than "husband" or "wife" when they couldn't be legally married.

    And, "partner" is nowhere near as annoying as "significant other". Who the hell came up with that one. I laugh about that one to this day.

  3. #293
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Married couples who are not raising children should be arrested for defrauding the state.
    Do you favor forced adoption for those who are biologically unable to have kids?

    I can just see it. Government knocks on the door with two orphans and says, "They're legally your responsibility now."

  4. #294
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I know what you're saying, but this is America, we started out with a melting pot of bastardized versions of English and have only made it worse with time....there's not much left to ruin, yo.
    Don't try to explain. It was my generation that thought up..........groovy. Ugh, what were we thinking.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I actually agree with you here. Again, I don't really care what people call one another, but "partner" has worked its way into the lexicon (shortened from "life partner"), and it will not be easy to remove.

    How the word got there, though, was the result trying to come up with something other than "husband" or "wife" when they couldn't be legally married.

    And, "partner" is nowhere near as annoying as "significant other". Who the hell came up with that one. I laugh about that one to this day.
    I think it's funny that we have all these names and labels for what someone is to us...until the relationship ends; then they're just the "ex"

  6. #296
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,040

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Note to self.......new zealanders have no known sense of humor. Check.


    What is worse is that I am an American...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #297
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,040

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I think it's funny that we have all these names and labels for what someone is to us...until the relationship ends; then they're just the "ex"
    I toss in "my crazy" before ex... makes it much more accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Do you favor forced adoption for those who are biologically unable to have kids?

    I can just see it. Government knocks on the door with two orphans and says, "They're legally your responsibility now."
    I think that when you marry you are voluntarily applying for the job as parent. That's what marriage is all about, that's the state's "compelling interest" in violating your right to privacy and sticking it's noes in your relationships in the first place.

    If you don't want to do the job, that's fine, the State can just annul/divorce you.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-08-11 at 06:53 PM.

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Don't try to explain. It was my generation that thought up..........groovy. Ugh, what were we thinking.
    Yeah but "boss" is back, though...not all is lost.

    We use it a little differently now than then....instead of "that's boss" it's "like a boss", but basically the same meaning.

  10. #300
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Whoa now, if you're married to your woman, having sex with anyone other than her is adultery; even if consensual. That's beyond the bounds of gay marriage, you're crossing a line on a fundamental level there. I don't care what form of marriage is at hand, you don't have sex with anyone but your spouse(s).
    I was talking about before the marriage, not during the marriage.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •