View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #251
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,884

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    My lawyer has a time share there.



    I can agree with that.



    I rant in a Basement thread and have a thread in the Tavern on it, yeah I've been going through this for a couple years now.
    After I posted that I started thinking that you might have mentioned this before... you dealt with BPD then, specifically? It is amazing, the disconnect that goes on. It is crazy and abusive, and when I try to talk to people about it, they indicate that they just think that I'm a whiner and can't deal with normal problems... those that have had to deal with her know exactly what I am talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #252
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    After I posted that I started thinking that you might have mentioned this before... you dealt with BPD then, specifically? It is amazing, the disconnect that goes on. It is crazy and abusive, and when I try to talk to people about it, they indicate that they just think that I'm a whiner and can't deal with normal problems... those that have had to deal with her know exactly what I am talking about.
    I feel for you both. I only had a girlfriend with BPD, and fortunately we did not marry. I can't even imagine that kind of emotional roller coaster in a marriage!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I feel for you both. I only had a girlfriend with BPD, and fortunately we did not marry. I can't even imagine that kind of emotional roller coaster in a marriage!
    Well, it ended mine.

    What would normally be a typical argument any couple would have would always be escalated into something epic. Should I back down, I was 'lieing'. If I just walked away, I was 'neglectful'. If I fought on....well that just made everything worse. Regardless of the outcome, it would always be brought back up weeks, even years later. Let me tell you that there's nothing wrong with her memory lol.

    She could go from wanting to fix the marriage straight into her boyfriend's arms at the bar in under an hour.

    We both love the kids, but love is not enough.

  4. #254
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yes or no, and explain your answer.

    I say yes, SSM promotes family just like opposite sex marriage.
    Of course it does.

    Side note: I see that someone has been tampering with the poll again. This is why I make all my polls public.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #255
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Of course it does. Not sure why the bigots and haters would think it does not.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Of course it does. Not sure why the bigots and haters would think it does not.
    Because we're bigots and haters, duh.

  7. #257
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If that were true, then since we all agree that divorce undermines the family, two loving,caring, nurturing parents would never divorce.

    But they do, which disproves Amazed's premise.
    Did you all agree that divorce undermines a family? I'm pretty sure that everyone hasn't agreed to that. In fact, there are definitely times when divorce is better for everyone in the relationship, including the children. It might not be ideal for the children but if it comes down to parents who can't live together or be together at all or parents who get a divorce, can move on from a failed relationship, and become better people in new relationships or even just as two single parents who still both share in raising the children, then it may actually support a family more than staying together.

    And, no, most divorces do not work this way and do hurt the family, but it is not an absolute that all divorces undermine the family. I had friends in high school who were happy that their parents got divorced because they didn't believe that their parents were happy together. Overall, their family was better for their parents not being with each other.

    Divorce still has nothing to do with allowing same sex marriage. It is a separate issue for promoting the family, that should be dealt with through incentives for trying to get people to not marry before they know what they are getting into and finding ways to encourage people to stay together during rough times. I think that one good thing that I have recently read that might be one incentive that every state could possibly try would be to offer a waiver on the marriage license fee for attending approved premarital counseling, like Georgia does. Or, there could be some sort of tax incentive to attending premarital couseling or marriage counseling (make it a tax writeoff or something like that). Unfortunately, the best way to get people to understand that marriages can be hard and should be worked on in most cases (with exceptions being most abuse cases) is to teach this to people when they are young.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Did you all agree that divorce undermines a family? I'm pretty sure that everyone hasn't agreed to that. In fact, there are definitely times when divorce is better for everyone in the relationship, including the children. It might not be ideal for the children but if it comes down to parents who can't live together or be together at all or parents who get a divorce, can move on from a failed relationship, and become better people in new relationships or even just as two single parents who still both share in raising the children, then it may actually support a family more than staying together.

    And, no, most divorces do not work this way and do hurt the family, but it is not an absolute that all divorces undermine the family. I had friends in high school who were happy that their parents got divorced because they didn't believe that their parents were happy together. Overall, their family was better for their parents not being with each other.

    Divorce still has nothing to do with allowing same sex marriage. It is a separate issue for promoting the family, that should be dealt with through incentives for trying to get people to not marry before they know what they are getting into and finding ways to encourage people to stay together during rough times. I think that one good thing that I have recently read that might be one incentive that every state could possibly try would be to offer a waiver on the marriage license fee for attending approved premarital counseling, like Georgia does. Or, there could be some sort of tax incentive to attending premarital couseling or marriage counseling (make it a tax writeoff or something like that). Unfortunately, the best way to get people to understand that marriages can be hard and should be worked on in most cases (with exceptions being most abuse cases) is to teach this to people when they are young.
    Oh look who wants to play. You can pick up where you left off:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It what way(s) is the current license inadequate? Specific examples of regulation would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I apologize for having missed these examples. Would you mind re-posting them?

    Just as "husband" and "wife" were replaced with "person 1" and "person 2", all we have to do is add "person 3". Anyone with basic Microsoft Office Word 2011 skills can so alter a form.

    I apologize but this sounds a lot like anti-SSM when they say if you let men mary men then you have to let men marry dogs. I think a limit of 4 spouses is reasonable AND established in "the traditions, history and culture of the people"; thus establishing polygamy as a basic human right.

    Just add "person 3".

    Present regulation regarding "Community Property" require equal shares for each spouse unless there are special considerations which require a hearing.

    Yes.

    if you were business partners and your partner wanted to add someone as an equal, they would require your consent. This is no different.

    2 men rob a bank, are caught, and ordered to testify against each other or get a longer sentence. According to you, we shouldn't allow gay marriage otherwise these 2 men could marry each other to take advantage of Spousal Privilege.
    You are in the proper thread.

  9. #259
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No, you're a "strictly legal contracted" woman. And she's not your 'wife', she's your "partner". This is the vocabulary your side has presented, and is one way we know that pro-SSM is not about the family. You're about just whatever feels good, whatever that may be. In your case, specifically, at best you're the broken watch.
    Really? When did you get to decide what people call themselves. Are you going to bust down her door and disallowe her to call her wife, "Honey" when she comes home? Are you going to prevent their children from calling them Mom?

    How else do you intend to rule the lives of gay people?

    Why stop there? Why not dictate to everyone what they should call themselves and how they should live their lives?

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Really? When did you get to decide what people call themselves. Are you going to bust down her door and disallowe her to call her wife, "Honey" when she comes home? Are you going to prevent their children from calling them Mom?

    How else do you intend to rule the lives of gay people?

    Why stop there? Why not dictate to everyone what they should call themselves and how they should live their lives?
    What I did in that post was reflect back to the gay community what they look like.

    Ugly, isn't it?

    In the last few pages I've argued with YourStar that gays should call each-other "wife" "husband", etc, because "partner" does not describe the same kind of relationship. YourStar gave insight that gays call each-other "partner" due to social rejection, and I maintain that continued use of "partner" perpetuates that social rejection and does the gay community no favors.

Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •