View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #171
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    'Gays will have a 50% divorce rate' doesn't motivate me to picket with you. The promise of hot-wings will meet a better result.
    So equality doesn't matter to you?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What is in their hearts is almost universally regarding as to what kind of caring and compassionate person the individual is, not who they want to have sex with. Seriously, that is ridiculous. Anything else?
    I let the Lord make His own judgments of people's hearts.

    I'm only concerned with behavior and how the behavior of others affects me.

    Please excuse me for answering purely academic questions about my faith.

  3. #173
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're saying that a sinner....sins....I don't see anything I would disagree with there.
    You know perfectly well, that's not what I was saying. I was saying that you choose to discount sins, to deny that certain behaviour which is scripturally prohibited IS prohibited, because it suits you to. You do not acknowledge these 'sins', you do not ask forgiveness for committing them and you make no effort not to commit them again. You may tell me that you do, but given the many thousands that exist within the pages of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, I am proposing that you do not. You pick and choose. I know many, many Christians that struggle with this dilemma. It seems to make them a little more humble. Perhaps you don't struggle.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I concurred, hence I joined it.

    You say it's wrong, hence you reject it.

    What I use to validate my identity is as strong to me as what you use to validate your identity is to you. Just as I allowed the Lord to define me, so do you allow society to define you. You're used to being able to help define others just as they define you, so it follows that you would have assumed that you could define me. But I don't use others. I use the Lord. You're not the Lord, so you can't tell me what I am.

    Likewise, I don't try to tell you what you are, though you will think so because you're used to others defining you. I can tell you where your actions stand with the Lord, but only He can speak to you with real authority.
    I haven't allowed society to define me, I have defined myself, and my relationship with God is apart of that. And I believe that who I am, that the way I was born, isn't wrong.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So equality doesn't matter to you?
    "Equality" has been turned into a political buzz-word with a lot of sub-text, so as a political buzz-word, no Equality™ doesn't matter to me. Not at all.

    Marriage is not about Equality™. Marriage is about the raising and socializing of children. Everything else a marriage does serves that purpose. If you're not raising children, you have no business being married whether your gay or not. If you are raising a child, then perhaps the argument can be made that the sin of your homosexuality is justified through serving a higher purpose.

    If you're not raising a child then your relationship doesn't affect me and your actions are between you and God alone.


    ***
    It may surprise you that I strongly support gays serving openly in the military. Non of my support comes from a notion of equality, however. Just as marriage is not about equality, neither is the military about equality. The military is about defending the nation's interests, and it is my opinion that the military is harmed when it alienates the pool of talent in homosexuals.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-07-11 at 06:10 PM.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You know perfectly well, that's not what I was saying. I was saying that you choose to discount sins, to deny that certain behaviour which is scripturally prohibited IS prohibited, because it suits you to. You do not acknowledge these 'sins', you do not ask forgiveness for committing them and you make no effort not to commit them again. You may tell me that you do, but given the many thousands that exist within the pages of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, I am proposing that you do not. You pick and choose. I know many, many Christians that struggle with this dilemma. It seems to make them a little more humble. Perhaps you don't struggle.
    Are you addressing me specifically or did you climb on a soapbox against the general Christian community? If you're addressing me specifically then you need to provide quotes, but if you're on a soap box then please make room as I would like to join you.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,948

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I let the Lord make His own judgments of people's hearts.

    I'm only concerned with behavior and how the behavior of others affects me.

    Please excuse me for answering purely academic questions about my faith.
    If you let the Lord make the judgments, then why oppose SSM? Why not let him make his judgments and you and your opinion just stay out of it?

    How does homosexual behaviour affect you?

    No need to apologize when trying to clarify contradictory views within your religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,948

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I haven't allowed society to define me, I have defined myself, and my relationship with God is apart of that. And I believe that who I am, that the way I was born, isn't wrong.
    Good to hear. I believe what is in a person's heart, their compassion and caring, have nothing to do with who they want to have sex with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #179
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Are you addressing me specifically or did you climb on a soapbox against the general Christian community?
    No, not the general Christian community, just the self-righteous, judgemental section of the Christian community. I reckon they're in a minority, albeit a big one.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    One benefit of having an independent 'version' of that institution instead of joining the institution is that there remains an openness to things like messages and scripture instead of being told what to believe and who to condemn.
    I have no problem with the Lord telling me what to believe. He's the Lord, no one would know better than He.

Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •