View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #121
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    In the end, it does not matter if marriage (heterosexual or homosexual) promotes family.
    It’s all about liberty and the right of consenting adults to create social unions freely.
    You're right. The more relevant question is, "Should it?" Not in my book. People taking their family responsibilities seriously is the only thing that will promote family life. I don't think you need a piece of official paper to do that.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Well if we were allowed to marry, I'm sure the vernacular would change.
    I had a "wife" before I was legally married. What's stopping you?

    Also, my mother in-law is "married" in every sense except legally to her man. They had the ceremony, they wear the rings, the family regards them as husband and wife (oh excuse me...the family regards them as spouse 1 and spouse 2....). Now, the reason why they don't legally marry is because they have to play a game with their disability and SS benefits to pay for their medical needs. On paper they're roommates.

    My point is nothing is stopping them form having the relationship, and they don't need the law to validate who they are to each-other. So, why do you?

    edit:
    LOL let me toss this reversal at you: Right now I'm still legally married to my X. SHE IS NOT MY "WIFE", even though the law says she is. We don't refer to each-other as husband or wife even though we have the "strictly legal contract" stating otherwise.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-07-11 at 01:45 PM.

  3. #123
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,947

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    I don't think you need to have your marriage legally recognized by the state to have it validated in your own mind.

    I do think you need to have it that way though to have it validated in the mind of the government and many actors who rely on the governments validation.

    And since there is equal protection under the LAW, the fact you can personal validation is irrelevant as an excuse why you should get less legal validation then someone else.

  4. #124
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I had a "wife" before I was legally married. What's stopping you?

    Also, my mother in-law is "married" in every sense except legally to her man. They had the ceremony, they wear the rings, the family regards them as husband and wife (oh excuse me...the family regards them as spouse 1 and spouse 2....). Now, the reason why they don't legally marry is because they have to play a game with their disability and SS benefits to pay for their medical needs. On paper they're roommates.

    My point is nothing is stopping them form having the relationship, and they don't need the law to validate who they are to each-other. So, why do you?

    edit:
    LOL let me toss this reversal at you: Right now I'm still legally married to my X. SHE IS NOT MY "WIFE", even though the law says she is. We don't refer to each-other as husband or wife even though we have the "strictly legal contract" stating otherwise.
    When did I say it was stopping me? I plan to whenever I find who I want to marry to marry her in a church. No matter if it will be legally recognized at that time or not. The whole issue here is why should the government not recognize my marriage, just because it is between two women?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I will answer this in the proper thread. When I find it.
    You're now in the proper thread.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Of curse The GLBT is about equality. That is what they want. They want equality in marriage which creates families. Well used to create familes. The heterosexuals now have divorce over 50%. But it is supposed to create family and family is the basis of marriage. So yes it does create family and promotes good parenting. All the assets that family brings to the table fit under the umbrella of equality. Just because they are seeking equality does not change in any way or alter the idea that marriage is about family and family values. So you are wrong to think that eoquality cannot and does not create family.
    Don't forget that gays are currently contributing to that 50% divorce rate.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    When did I say it was stopping me?
    That's all I got from your post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Well if we were allowed to marry, I'm sure the vernacular would change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I plan to whenever I find who I want to marry to marry her in a church. No matter if it will be legally recognized at that time or not. The whole issue here is why should the government not recognize my marriage, just because it is between two women?
    That's something else I don't relate to: Why do you need a church? I didn't. She was my "wife" before we went to the courthouse, and it wasn't until years later that we had a ceremony in a church.

  8. #128
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    T
    That's something else I don't relate to: Why do you need a church? I didn't. She was my "wife" before we went to the courthouse, and it wasn't until years later that we had a ceremony in a church.
    Well, why did YOU want to have a church ceremony? Even years later?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #129
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's all I got from your post:
    I was talking about the common language between LGBT people, and what people refer to LGBT couples as. It's not just LGBT people who refer to their significant other as partners. I personally don't.

    That's something else I don't relate to: Why do you need a church? I didn't. She was my "wife" before we went to the courthouse, and it wasn't until years later that we had a ceremony in a church.
    Well first off I want to get married in a church because I'm Christian, also at this point I couldn't get married in a courthouse if I wanted too. I don't get your point here.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Well, why did YOU want to have a church ceremony? Even years later?
    We wanted to place our union in the context of a Christian life.

Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •