View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nope, I get your point clearly, and I'm saying I don't agree. They share many of the same benefits, family structure, and other incentives to promote people to have children and create a family.

    However, the primary family structure promoted from opposite sex marriage proportionally is a biological family structure where the additional members of the family are biologically tied to each of the parents and created by the parents. The primary family structure promoted from same sex marriage proportionally is either an adoptive one or one where there is a singular biological link. I do not believe that one of those is necessarily "promoting family" more than the other, both types of marriages tend to promote a stable family structure in some sense. My statement is that they are not "just like" each other in terms of the ways and types of family structures and promotion that occurs.
    Oh okay, I understand you now, and I agree, my whole point is that marriage promotes family just as well, no matter who is in the marriage. Not that the families are similar in how they are formed.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I already did it the way nature intended...twice. I just went out of my way to be a good citizen and take a couple more out of the overcrowded system. I'm just asking gay couples to do the same.... aka holding them to the same standard I hold myself.
    I think I'm going to agree with Oscar here.

    I think that all newly married couples (gay and straight) should be helping the 'overcrowded system' and choose adoption as a first child-rearing port of call. I don't get the biological urge to pass on genes/blood (however you want to describe it) but do understand the desire to nurture new life. If all newlyweds for a period of, ooh say 10 years, made their first moves into building a family the adoption agency, then the problem of unwanted kids filling an inadequate and impersonal statutory system would ease hugely.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #113
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,037

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Great question... and a trap for those opposed to SSM. Marriage promotes stability and family, they say, just not when same sex couples do it... that is the hypocrisy. I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #114
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,968

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Yes it does. Because a family is more than just those with children.

    But it does also in cases with children because it is much better for children to be raised in a legally married, two parent household. There are states where adoption for two people is only allowed if the two are legally married.

    Being legally married gives an added incentive for a couple to work on their problems rather than just giving up on a relationship. Doesn't work for every couple, but it most likely helps some.

    And I really can't think of any way the allowing gay marriage could hurt families.

    I would say that SSM promotes families in the same exact way that it does for opposite sex couples that know that they can't have children together or don't want to have children together. Because the only difference between every same sex couple and every opposite sex couple is their relative sexes. The ability to procreate with each other is only a difference between all same sex couples and most opposite sex couples, yet all opposite sex couples are allowed to legally marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #115
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,968

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I was just wondering myself if you were going to address my challenges to your argument.....
    I will answer this in the proper thread. When I find it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No, you're a "strictly legal contracted" woman. And she's not your 'wife', she's your "partner". This is the vocabulary your side has presented, and is one way we know that pro-SSM is not about the family. You're about just whatever feels good, whatever that may be. In your case, specifically, at best you're the broken watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No.

    You have to pull teeth to get pro-SSM to even mention anyone other than the "consenting adults" on the "strictly legal constract". SSM doesn't give a **** about family. They never did, they never will. The world has more important things to worry about then if some dude can put some other dude on his insurance plan.
    I read this and wondered which century we were in for a moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    SSM harms the family and society by condoning if not perpetuating the 50% divorce rate and juvenile crime rate.
    Same sex marriage families are (I believe) some of the most stable families around. What is important to societies children is that they are brought up by loving parents, the ideal of one male and one female is a rarity and cannot be used as a guide for what "family" means.

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    plain english. unless "ONLY" is specified, the meaning of the statement is not an absolute. you are just nit-picking semantics because you can't refute the basic premise.
    Wrong. Plain English. Unless the word "some" is used, the statement IS an absolute. Don't blame others for being unclear with your statement.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I didn't say its diminished, I said its not "Just like" a straight couple because its not "just like" a straight couple. For it to be "just like" a straight couple a homosexual couple would need to be able to produce a larger family unit through intercourse between the two of them without assistance of outside means in the creation of said child.

    That doesn't belittle it or state that ones promotion of family is necessarily "better", but they are not "just like" each other in their ability and their methods of how they are able to do it.

    An orange is good for you. An apple is good for you. They both promote good health. They both promote good health in similar ways and in some ways that are exaclty alike. However an orange is not "just like" an apple with regards to how it helps your health.
    Truthfully, Zyph. This sounds like a lot of sematical mumbo-jumbo to me. There are plenty of straight marriages that create very non-traditional families. And yet, in the larger sense, they to create a beneficial atmosphere that promotes family in the same way as a traditional family does. All the benefits are there… positive child rearing, partner health, social/financial stability. For these things, biology is irrelevant. Now, if you are saying that the nuances of the family will be different, I would agree. But then again, we'll see different nuances in most families. In the big picture, the two are "just like".
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #119
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's hilarious when.....Redress uses key phrases like "hey guess what". Ok, what? You're pro-SSM? Wow I guessed right. Now let me try: Hey guess what Redress. Since you've been on this forum you've never promoted the family in support of SSM unless first challenged by a skeptic. Pro-SSM uses the family argument as a means to an end, not the end itself. You're one of those people who react with "yeah but the bible also bans shellfish and mixed fabrics"...and then crums when an anti-SSM says "what about polygamy, then". Your arguments are equivocation top-to-bottom.

    GLBT is all about Equality®, not family.
    Of curse The GLBT is about equality. That is what they want. They want equality in marriage which creates families. Well used to create familes. The heterosexuals now have divorce over 50%. But it is supposed to create family and family is the basis of marriage. So yes it does create family and promotes good parenting. All the assets that family brings to the table fit under the umbrella of equality. Just because they are seeking equality does not change in any way or alter the idea that marriage is about family and family values. So you are wrong to think that eoquality cannot and does not create family.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  10. #120
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    In the end, it does not matter if marriage (heterosexual or homosexual) promotes family.
    It’s all about liberty and the right of consenting adults to create social unions freely.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •