View Poll Results: Health Care Law: Do you support sending it straight to the U.S. Supreme Court?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 36.07%
  • No

    39 63.93%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 34 of 34

Thread: Health Care Law: Do you support sending it straight to the U.S. Supreme Court?

  1. #31
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Health Care Law: Do you support sending it straight to the U.S. Supreme Court?

    Wow. There were more than 26 “no” votes in the last 6-8 hours yet none of them left a comment? Looks pretty fishy to me.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  2. #32
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Health Care Law: Do you support sending it straight to the U.S. Supreme Court?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Because it cuts down on the number of cases that the supreme court gets petitioned for, and gives them a basis to decide whether or not they will even hear a case. The supreme court already gets petitioned for around 5000 cases per year and only has time to hear a fraction of them. That number would jump through the roof if we started fast-tracking cases straight to the supreme court.
    This isnít a normal case. SCOTUS will hear this case, you know it will, so ďcuts down on number of casesĒ is a straw man argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    This is completely irrelevant because it is a different situation altogether. It had nothing to do with a lawsuit alleging a law was unconstitutional.
    You just contradicted yourself (above) and made my point for me. BTW, I donít want to belabor Bush V Gore but it had everything to do with the constitutionality of laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    You seem to be operating under the assumption that having it overturned is the only possible outcome.
    Iím no different than most. I think itíll be a 5/4 decision with Kennedy casting the deciding vote. I expect Kennedy will decide it is unconstitutional.

    You seem to be operating under the assumption that no damage will be done to our economy, state budgets or federal budgets if the law is found unconstitutional and overturned 2 or 3 years down the road. The damage to our budgets and economy will be massive if that happens. Higher state and federal deficits combined with wasted private company expenditures are the last things we need right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    And? This is true of most cases that end up at the supreme court.
    Most cases that end up at the supreme court wonít cause as much damage to the entire nation if they are found unconstitutional as this one will. We are talking about 1/6 of the US economy being totally reformed during the worst recession in US history.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Clearly the states that filed suit against the healthcare reform bill felt differently. Because the cases involved were filed by a state and not a person, they would have fallen under original jurisdiction, and could have been filed directly with the supreme court. Clearly the states felt it was advantageous not to do so.
    The states felt differently when? You do realize this thread is based upon a post Florida ruling right? My poll isnít asking what the states should have done when the law was first passed. Timeline is important and the Florida ruling is the basis of this discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    It would also be possible to fast-track the law straight to the supreme court with a writ of certiorari before judgment. As far as I can tell none of the states involved have even filed one (though I could be wrong about this, I'm having trouble finding information on it)
    Sure, the States might file a writ of certiorari now that the biggest court ruling is in. Thing is, the SCOTUS might reject it unless both parties agree and file it together. If Team Obama and the States agree that the constitutionality of this issue should be decided sooner rather than later, we could have a SCOTUS ruling within 90 days. Why do you think it would be a bad thing to remove questions and doubts about where 1/6 of the US economy will be in 2 or 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Whether you think so or not, there are clearly reasons why the states involved have not gone straight to the supreme court.
    Sure there are. They knew they needed to wait for the 26 state ruling in Florida and they also know the SCOTUS isnít likely to cross the POTUS by taking up the case early unless he agrees. Thatís the point you refuse to think about because you are obviously so politically loyal to your party that you refuse to ask why the POTUS isnít asking for this to be decided in the SCOTUS asap so we can all get some clarity on where this nation is going from here. It isnít rocket science. If Obama agreed, the states would file the writ of certiorari and it would be on the SCOTUS roster within 30-60 days.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Let's get something straight here. I don't revere the process and I don't think it's sacred. I think it's a good idea, but that's about as far as it goes. I just don't see anything about the healthcare bill, above and beyond any of the other cases that the supreme court hears, that is of such dire importance that it should go straight to the supreme court, especially when the states involved in the case don't seem to want it to either.
    The states want it to go to the supreme court (asap) now because their case has been heard and ruled upon. Team Obama is dragging it out for political reasons (re-election). If you donít think 1/6 of the US economy being thrown into doubt during the greatest recession in US history or the private, state and federal dollars that are already being spent to try and conform to the dictates of this law are enough to desire quick and decisive answers, you arenít a true American, you are a political hack.

    There is no reason to oppose timely constitutional clarity on this issue unless you are a political hack who has sold his soul to a particular political party. If Obama agrees with the states that this issue should be cleared up asap, it will be done within 90 days and we can all move forward as a nation knowing what path we are following.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,864
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Health Care Law: Do you support sending it straight to the U.S. Supreme Court?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The fact is that the law is already helping people, so I don't know how you can say it would hurt the nation. The controversial part - the so-called mandate - isn't actually a mandate at all. No one will be required to purchase health care insurance. If you don't have health insurance you will be paying higher taxes. Those extra bucks will be used to pay the medical services for people who don't pay their medical bills.

    This doesn't kick in for couple of years, so I don't know what the rush is.
    Who has it helped? Now compare that with the people that it has hurt. (ie higher premiums in insurance...btw...wasn't it suppose to LOWER health insurance costs?)

    Also ask yourself this question. What is going to happen when someone cannot afford to buy health insurance? But make too much to fall under government funded health insurance (ie welfare)(and there is ALWAYS someone that falls right in that middle catagory)? They'll have to pay in higher taxes right? Which means they will end up oweing the IRS money. Now if they can't afford health insurance what makes you think that they can afford to pay the IRS? And what happens if you don't pay the IRS? You either go to jail or have everything you own seized and auctioned off...or even both.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,864
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Health Care Law: Do you support sending it straight to the U.S. Supreme Court?

    I voted yes. There are times that things should be fast tracked to SCOTUS. I believe that this is one of them as it affects every American and 1/6 of the economy all on its own. It has already risen health insurance premiums more than it normally would have risen and if it gets overturned then a lot of people started paying that extra amount for absolutely no reason..with no chance of ever getting that bit of money back. (and believe me...that little bit of money can be a big difference in a persons lifestyle)
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •