View Poll Results: Do you trust the federal government to do what's in your best interest

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - explain

    4 5.26%
  • No - explain

    56 73.68%
  • I have never thought of it - why not?

    1 1.32%
  • Other - explain

    15 19.74%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 161

Thread: A Simple Question -

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well, I don't need a business to "care" for me. As far as the govt, I'd rather be left alone than cared for.
    You need private business to do things for you just as much as you do government. The only exception is if you "live off the grid". Private business is IN business to make profit... to help themselves. To me, that automatically makes me question whether their acts are in my best interest. I have no issue with profit, but the desire to obtain it effects how one approaches a situation. Government's job is to manage things globally, not make profit. I am not talking about individuals; I am talking about the institution.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Now you are spinning things. You do need the government to take care of the country. Part of taking care of the country is ensuring that the citizens of the country have as many tools to success as possible. That makes the country stronger, and makes it easier for the individuals to look out for themselves.
    No Redress, I don't agree with this at all. I don't expect the government give me any tools. The best thing it can do is give me room to make my own tools and not confiscate them later. Hope this makes sense. I may be losing myself in the metaphor.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,355
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    No Redress, I don't agree with this at all. I don't expect the government give me any tools. The best thing it can do is give me room to make my own tools and not confiscate them later. Hope this makes sense. I may be losing myself in the metaphor.
    Really? You don't want public roads? You want completely unregulated business? See why talking in absolutes does not help your argument?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    No Redress, I don't agree with this at all. I don't expect the government give me any tools. The best thing it can do is give me room to make my own tools and not confiscate them later. Hope this makes sense. I may be losing myself in the metaphor.
    I think you are actually saying something very similar to what Redress is saying. The tools don't have to come from the government; they can come from any source, sometimes government, sometimes not. It's government's job to both make sure that you have room to create those tools, but also to make sure that the tools you create do not harm anyone else or society as a whole.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #45
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You need private business to do things for you just as much as you do government. The only exception is if you "live off the grid". Private business is IN business to make profit... to help themselves. To me, that automatically makes me question whether their acts are in my best interest. I have no issue with profit, but the desire to obtain it effects how one approaches a situation.
    Here's the difference. You are the one who decides whether or not you will be 'doing business' with a privately owned entity, correct? Therefore the power to decide what is best for you - is up to you. Profiting from someone is only effective if that someone is willing to pay for said product or service.

    Government's job is to manage things globally, not make profit. I am not talking about individuals; I am talking about the institution.
    They don't make a profit per se, but they do make decisions that impact all of us financially. Again, we don't have a choice in whether or not to 'do business' with the 'institution' of the federal government, now do we.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,355
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I think you are actually saying something very similar to what Redress is saying. The tools don't have to come from the government; they can come from any source, sometimes government, sometimes not. It's government's job to both make sure that you have room to create those tools, but also to make sure that the tools you create do not harm anyone else or society as a whole.
    Not exactly what I am saying, no. As I mentioned in the previous post, simple things like roads are part of our tools to success. Hell, having a military to provide for national defense is a tool for success, since without it we would individually most likely now or soon have fewer routes to succeed. Public schools are a very strong tool for success. Police and Fire protection likewise.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,355
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Here's the difference. You are the one who decides whether or not you will be 'doing business' with a privately owned entity, correct? Therefore the power to decide what is best for you - is up to you. Profiting from someone is only effective if that someone is willing to pay for said product or service.
    So if I want cable I can call some one in this area other than Charter?

    They don't make a profit per se, but they do make decisions that impact all of us financially. Again, we don't have a choice in whether or not to 'do business' with the 'institution' of the federal government, now do we.
    You are not doing business. The relationship between citizens and the government, and between citizens and businesses are entirely different.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #48
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You need private business to do things for you just as much as you do government. The only exception is if you "live off the grid". Private business is IN business to make profit... to help themselves. To me, that automatically makes me question whether their acts are in my best interest. I have no issue with profit, but the desire to obtain it effects how one approaches a situation. Government's job is to manage things globally, not make profit. I am not talking about individuals; I am talking about the institution.
    The relationship I have with private business is a more equal one. It's usually mutually beneficial. They want my money and I want their product. I don't care if they have my best interest at heart. I'll take care of that. The problem with the government is when they decide someone else's best interest matters more than mine.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #49
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Really? You don't want public roads? You want completely unregulated business? See why talking in absolutes does not help your argument?
    I don't think I am speaking in absolutes. I don't deny there's a role for govt, but a govt that oversteps it's bounds is far more dangerous to me as a citizen than a business that does.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,355
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I don't think I am speaking in absolutes. I don't deny there's a role for govt, but a govt that oversteps it's bounds is far more dangerous to me as a citizen than a business that does.
    Really? Ever fight with an insurance company for payment on coverage? That put me at more risk than the government ever will.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •