View Poll Results: Do you trust the federal government to do what's in your best interest

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - explain

    4 5.26%
  • No - explain

    56 73.68%
  • I have never thought of it - why not?

    1 1.32%
  • Other - explain

    15 19.74%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 161

Thread: A Simple Question -

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A Simple Question -

    By the way, you framed this very much as a libertarian would. Just thought I would mention that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #12
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,648

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Because the government is concerned about ALL the people, both as individuals and as a group, not just you, which makes the question far more complex than the way that X Factor answered it.
    do you really believe that? most politicians main concern is keeping their power. most government employees main goal is not screwing up so bad that the crap rains down on them. some of the bureaucrats really want to serve the public. I have worked with federal law enforcement agents and attorneys and many of them really want to do what is best. and there are some honest politicians. but government is like a trained lion. it might lick your face or even protect you but if you aren't careful it can maul you or kill you.



  3. #13
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,648

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The government's job is not to look out for my best interest. That is my job. The government's job is to look out for the interest of the country, which if done well makes my looking out for my interest easier.

    that might be the wisest thing I have seen from you and that is really a compliment because you often make good posts. but that runs counter to what many lefties believe-the thought that it is YOUR DUTY TO LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF is anathema to many on the left I have seen



  4. #14
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that might be the wisest thing I have seen from you and that is really a compliment because you often make good posts. but that runs counter to what many lefties believe-the thought that it is YOUR DUTY TO LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF is anathema to many on the left I have seen
    Actually it's not. The difference between the left and right is how we define "looking after the countries interests".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: A Simple Question -

    I agree with CC that the matter is complicated.

    There are, what, 535 individuals elected or appointed to high Federal office? Not to mention hundreds of high-level bureaucrats who can effectively legislate-through-regulation.

    Some of them have the best intrests of America at heart. Some are more concerned with their own constituents, or their favorite lobby, or their home state, or their own status, privilege and re-election. Collectively, they somehow manage to blunder into doing something right on occasion, which is amazing enough I suppose.

    On the whole though, my answer is No.... but a qualified No. I believe it is my duty as a American citizen to be distrustful of the government... the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Despite my "No", I still think that overall we have what might be the best system of governance on the planet. In 200-plus years we've managed to avoid blundering our way into either dictatorship or anarchy, we've managed not to be conquered or overrun, we're the wealthiest nation on the planet, and arguably the free-est... so over the long haul we haven't done so badly, even if sometimes in the short term D.C. seems to be populated solely by self-serving idiots.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #16
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    By the way, you framed this very much as a libertarian would. Just thought I would mention that.
    How strange, given her political lean. Actually I think many conservatives would frame it just this way too.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #17
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    By the way, you framed this very much as a libertarian would. Just thought I would mention that.
    I don't see how. I suppose I could have asked the question and then given eighteen different answers to suit the hundreds of political parties out there. I framed the question as an American citizen would frame it.

    Do you trust the federal government to decide what is best for you. Either you do or you do not.

    I trust them as far as I could throw them. There is a history in this country of our elected officials doing what lines their pockets FIRST with little to no regard to how it impacts the citizenry.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    How strange, given her political lean. Actually I think many conservatives would frame it just this way too.
    Yes they would. It falls in a realm where conservatives and libertarians overlap.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The government's job is not to look out for my best interest. That is my job. The government's job is to look out for the interest of the country, which if done well makes my looking out for my interest easier.
    Why write something else when this is the perfect answer?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: A Simple Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    do you really believe that? most politicians main concern is keeping their power. most government employees main goal is not screwing up so bad that the crap rains down on them. some of the bureaucrats really want to serve the public. I have worked with federal law enforcement agents and attorneys and many of them really want to do what is best. and there are some honest politicians. but government is like a trained lion. it might lick your face or even protect you but if you aren't careful it can maul you or kill you.
    Yes, I believe that. I also agree with what you are saying, for the most part. I see government as a concept and the the people who work in government as two different things.

    Bottom line. I would trust the government to do what's in my best interest more than I would trust private organizations, basically because the premise of government is for the people, whereas the premise of private organizations is for themselves. Basic definitions. Doesn't mean I trust government a whole lot... and it depends on the situation, the issue, and who is making the decisions. This is why this is a complex question, and cannot be resolved in a yes/no answer.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •