View Poll Results: Are These Additional Restrictions on Abortion Funding Going Too Far?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this goes too far

    16 50.00%
  • No, this is perfectly reasonable

    11 34.38%
  • Other

    5 15.63%
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 458

Thread: Is This Going Too Far?

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Is This Going Too Far?

    House abortion bill redefines rape, incest exceptions - Yahoo! News

    Federal funding is only allowed to pay for abortions in the case of rape, incest, and when the life of the mother is endangered. But a new bill with 173 co-sponsors would further limit federally funded exceptions, only allowing Medicaid to pay for abortions in the case of "forcible rape."

    Forcible rape has no formal definition under federal law, Baumann notes, but legal experts and abortion advocates told him that the new wording would most likely prevent Medicaid from paying for abortions for victims of statutory rapes not involving the use of force. Baumann's sources also told him that the revised wording might also disallow funding of abortions in cases where perpetrators used date-rape drugs on their victims, or targeted mentally incapacitated women.
    Oddly, despite being pro-abortion rights, I do not have a problem with the concept of federal funds not being allowed to pay for abortions except under limited circumstances, which is the case now. This though seems to be taking things to a new level.

    So what do you think? Is this taking things too far, or are these proposed new restrictions reasonable?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    House abortion bill redefines rape, incest exceptions - Yahoo! News

    Oddly, despite being pro-abortion rights, I do not have a problem with the concept of federal funds not being allowed to pay for abortions except under limited circumstances, which is the case now. This though seems to be taking things to a new level.

    So what do you think? Is this taking things too far, or are these proposed new restrictions reasonable?
    I think Federal funds should be used to pay for abortions. Period. It's just plain silly not to use Federal funds for that purpose. We use Federal funds to terminate thousands of lives. Telling women that they must have been forcibly raped in order to get the procedure done at Medicaid's expense? Who's going to enforce that? How will it be enforced? Will the woman have had to file charges against her alleged rapist? Guys, look out. Will the abortion remains be tested for the DNA of the father and run through the system? What will "due process" for this determination involve? Ridiculous.

    As long as abortion is legal, for God's sake, let everyone who wants one have one.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    I voted Other.

    While I have no problem with federal funds not paying for abortions except for in extreme cases, I would prefer it if federal funds were spent on education for contraceptives and for the purchase of contraceptives. After all, it would be cheaper for the government to pay for the prevention of unwanted pregnancies instead of paying for the abortion of unwanted pregnancies.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    I agree completely with what MaggieD said, federal funds should be used for abortions, it's a legal medical procedure, period.

    Now as for this, I do think this is going too far, for the law now, all cases of rape should be able to receive federal funding for an abortion. This just seems like they are putting an extra burden where one shouldn't be placed. Rape victims shouldn't have to prove that the way they were raped is up to par to receive funding.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #5
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think Federal funds should be used to pay for abortions. Period. It's just plain silly not to use Federal funds for that purpose. We use Federal funds to terminate thousands of lives. Telling women that they must have been forcibly raped in order to get the procedure done at Medicaid's expense? Who's going to enforce that? How will it be enforced? Will the woman have had to file charges against her alleged rapist? Guys, look out. Will the abortion remains be tested for the DNA of the father and run through the system? What will "due process" for this determination involve? Ridiculous.

    As long as abortion is legal, for God's sake, let everyone who wants one have one.
    "Federal Funds" means "taxpayers". So why should I have to pay for someone's abortion, of any kind under any circumstance? I can sympathize with someone who was forcibly raped and the rapist gets away, and possibly ... POSSIBLY, that is the only scenario where taxpayer money could be used, and even then - use should be very circumspect. Otherwise, the people who are responsible, or if they are not of age, their parents who are their guardians should pay for an abortion. Sure, abortions are legal - that does not mean taxpayers pick up the tab for irresponsible behavior, mistakes, etc. Apparently there are two people involved - payment should come from those two people, their estates, tacked onto their future earnings, or from their family/parents/guardians, liens put on their property, added to their taxes, or if tax money must be used, as a loan provided to both individuals who are then required to pay it off over a period of time with interest.

    Yes, forcible rape where the guilty party is not caught is the one area tax payer money can be used. If the bastard is caught, in jail he goes and he can pay it off in jail doing whatever job he has, and when he gets out of jail, no federal help, welfare, workmans comp, foodstamps, etc... until he pays off his debt for the abortion, and if he goes back to jail, he can finish up paying for it again, at his jail job.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #6
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    Federal Funding meaning Tax Money meaning my money should not be use for abortions. Why should my money be use to condemn an innocent child to death?

  7. #7
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    House abortion bill redefines rape, incest exceptions - Yahoo! News



    Oddly, despite being pro-abortion rights, I do not have a problem with the concept of federal funds not being allowed to pay for abortions except under limited circumstances, which is the case now. This though seems to be taking things to a new level.

    So what do you think? Is this taking things too far, or are these proposed new restrictions reasonable?
    Am personally torn on the whole abortion issue. The life of the child does seem to get minimal weight in too many of the discussions. Am comfortable with the current compromise of federal funds only being eligible for limited circumstances.

    With regard to the new legislation being proposed. Not clear what genuine problem they are trying to solve? Suspect the bill will likely get shot down in the Senate or chopped up and relegated meaningless.

    But the GOP will have captured some headlines. Given their base a warm and fuzzy that they are fighting the fight. And move on to the next whatever. Nothing too partisan about it. It's SOP for both parties.

    Is fascinating that our congresspricks tend to hold themselves in such high esteem, while we tend to view them as not so much.


    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  8. #8
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    I'm kind of torn on this. While abortion is legal, for the most part it is still a voluntary procedure and not done out of medical necessity. I'm very much against federal funding paying for elective medical procedures.

    In some cases though, abortion is done out of medical necessity, and I'm fine with federal funding paying for that.

    When it comes to things like rape and incest though, the 'medical necessity' line is kind of blurred. If a woman was raped and became pregnant and is clinically depressed about it, would her abortion be medically necessary? I don't know.

    I guess I'm somewhat against this bill, because I think it should be up to medical professionals whether or not an abortion is medically necessary or not, and if it is, I'm fine with it being paid for out of federal funds. If it's an elective procedure, pay for it yourself.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  9. #9
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    House abortion bill redefines rape, incest exceptions - Yahoo! News



    Oddly, despite being pro-abortion rights, I do not have a problem with the concept of federal funds not being allowed to pay for abortions except under limited circumstances, which is the case now. This though seems to be taking things to a new level.

    So what do you think? Is this taking things too far, or are these proposed new restrictions reasonable?
    I see this as unreasonable. There is no need to punish the mother twice.

  10. #10
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is This Going Too Far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    "Federal Funds" means "taxpayers". So why should I have to pay for someone's abortion, of any kind under any circumstance? I can sympathize with someone who was forcibly raped and the rapist gets away, and possibly ... POSSIBLY, that is the only scenario where taxpayer money could be used, and even then - use should be very circumspect. Otherwise, the people who are responsible, or if they are not of age, their parents who are their guardians should pay for an abortion. Sure, abortions are legal - that does not mean taxpayers pick up the tab for irresponsible behavior, mistakes, etc. Apparently there are two people involved - payment should come from those two people, their estates, tacked onto their future earnings, or from their family/parents/guardians, liens put on their property, added to their taxes, or if tax money must be used, as a loan provided to both individuals who are then required to pay it off over a period of time with interest.

    Yes, forcible rape where the guilty party is not caught is the one area tax payer money can be used. If the bastard is caught, in jail he goes and he can pay it off in jail doing whatever job he has, and when he gets out of jail, no federal help, welfare, workmans comp, foodstamps, etc... until he pays off his debt for the abortion, and if he goes back to jail, he can finish up paying for it again, at his jail job.
    Bolded part: If you are going to reduce this to freakin' dollars and cents, pay for an abortion or support a child through aged 18. Along with his mother. The idea that there will be abortion police is just another black hole to pour money into. That, in and of itself, will cost more than the abortion would times ten -- or more.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •