View Poll Results: Who Won The Space Race?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • The United States

    28 43.75%
  • The former Soviet Union

    33 51.56%
  • I don't know

    3 4.69%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96

Thread: Who Won The Space Race?

  1. #61
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 09:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I pointed out the BBC has issues in that both story's say the opposite from the exact same source.

    And you say I have a reading comprehension problem?
    The one you sent is a hypothetical article. Thats why the tittle is: What if the Soviet Union had beaten the US to the Moon?

    Furthermore, the link I posted was written in 1961. What the many people do is to pretend the race to the moon was the race space. For that matter I will make it official, the race to space doesn't end until we reach the furthest particle ejected from the big bag. Is this fair? No, you cannot extend the race to space to match your own accomplishments.

    Race to space = Won by USSR
    Race to the moon = Won by USA
    Race to mars = Not won yet, very likely China or the European union, maybe USA

    Most accomplishments in space exploration = that is debatable.

    Its a fact man, its not debatable.

  2. #62
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglestar View Post
    The one you sent is a hypothetical article. Thats why the tittle is: What if the Soviet Union had beaten the US to the Moon?
    So what? This has nothing to do with the fact it says the US one the space race.

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglestar View Post
    Furthermore, the link I posted was written in 1961. What the many people do is to pretend the race to the moon was the race space. For that matter I will make it official, the race to space doesn't end until we reach the furthest particle ejected from the big bag. Is this fair? No, you cannot extend the race to space to match your own accomplishments.
    I don't care what other people said or think. The cold war and space race between the former Soviet Union and the US was won by the US. I am not talking about the "race into space" I am talking about the whole "space race."

    The Americans won the race to the Moon when Neil Armstrong set foot on the lunar surface in 1969.

    That single act trumped the Soviet achievement of sending the first man into space eight years earlier.
    - BBC News - What if the Soviet Union had beaten the US to the Moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglestar View Post
    Race to space = Won by USSR
    Race to the moon = Won by USA
    Race to mars = Not won yet, very likely China or the European union, maybe USA
    The space race is allot of events culminating with the Apollo missions.

    he first manned lunar landing was a triumph for Nasa, and when the Americans won the Space Race, they also sounded its death knell. - BBC News - What if the Soviet Union had beaten the US to the Moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglestar View Post
    Most accomplishments in space exploration = that is debatable.

    Its a fact man, its not debatable.
    Because you are trying to say "the race into space" = "space race" when this is not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #63
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 09:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post

    Because you are trying to say "the race into space" = "space race" when this is not the case.
    Thats a whole different debate. I take the words as stated, I believe in the meaning of words as stated in dictionaries.
    Also I am not debating who won the Cold war, this is also a fact, the USA did.

  4. #64
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Humans have little ability in space. No one won, we are losers.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  5. #65
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglestar View Post
    Thats a whole different debate. I take the words as stated, I believe in the meaning of words as stated in dictionaries.
    Also I am not debating who won the Cold war, this is also a fact, the USA did.
    The title of this thread is "who won the space race" not "who won the race into space."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #66
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The title of this thread is "who won the space race" not "who won the race into space."
    ...and this the reality is that no one has won anything concerning space. There has been a few tiny advances...

    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #67
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    ...and this the reality is that no one has won anything concerning space. There has been a few tiny advances...

    If you are going to contribute, do that. If not, please troll someplace else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #68
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If you are going to contribute, do that. If not, please troll someplace else.
    Ok, then you tell me instead of fighting over nothing with eaglestar, or petty fighting...

    What constitutes actual success in space?
    Where are we compared to where we need to be, and which nation is closest to that actual success...

    Before you can actually start seeing it from this perspective, then you can keep bickering about Russia got there first and US got to the moon. The fact is still, we have no ability in space, our grandest success is near space and the cooperative International Space Station. This technology seems to be in infacy and very primitive. We have absolutely little control of what we are doing in space, and we have not managed to utilise space in any useful way except from satellites.

    What do we want to do in space, what do we need to do in space and what do we need to avoid?

    What kind of policies will lead to disaster and what kind of policies will foster eventual space success?

    When thinking of all these things and a 1000 more. Where are we? Who is actual successfull in space?

    In my opinion no one has succeeded in space, so no one has won the space race. The fastest way for everyone to loose in space is to militarise space. The best way to succeed is to foster private space use, and international national/supranational cooperation. But with all the pity nationalism and lack of success we had at earth, are we really ready to go to space?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #69
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Ok, then you tell me instead of fighting over nothing with eaglestar, or petty fighting...
    What "petty fighting" he tried to change the parameters of what was being said. I notice you did not reply to him in the manor you replied to me.

    Ours was at least on topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    What constitutes actual success in space?
    Where are we compared to where we need to be, and which nation is closest to that actual success...

    Before you can actually start seeing it from this perspective, then you can keep bickering about Russia got there first and US got to the moon. The fact is still, we have no ability in space, our grandest success is near space and the cooperative International Space Station. This technology seems to be in infacy and very primitive. We have absolutely little control of what we are doing in space, and we have not managed to utilise space in any useful way except from satellites.

    What do we want to do in space, what do we need to do in space and what do we need to avoid?

    What kind of policies will lead to disaster and what kind of policies will foster eventual space success?

    When thinking of all these things and a 1000 more. Where are we? Who is actual successfull in space?

    In my opinion no one has succeeded in space, so no one has won the space race. The fastest way for everyone to loose in space is to militarise space. The best way to succeed is to foster private space use, and international national/supranational cooperation. But with all the pity nationalism and lack of success we had at earth, are we really ready to go to space?
    Everything you have mentioned has nothing to do with the space race of the 60's and 70's, nothing at all. That is the subject of this thread if you had not noticed.

    So your argument is for a completely different thread and not even remotely related to this one.

    If you want to discuss the future of space flight and where it needs to go, make a new thread.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 04-20-11 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #70
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Who Won The Space Race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Everything you have mentioned has nothing to do with the space race of the 60's and 70's, nothing at all. That is the subject of this thread if you had not noticed.

    So your argument is for a completely different thread and not even remotely related to this one.

    If you want to discuss the future of space flight and where it needs to go, make a new thread.
    Ok, so the space race is over in your opinion?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •