View Poll Results: Is Obama A War Criminal

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 53.49%
  • No

    37 43.02%
  • Other (please explain)

    3 3.49%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 113

Thread: Is Obama A War Criminal

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Resist the gov. View Post
    Aw ok I see were your going with this and I think that argument falls short because everyone else when debating about Stalin or Hitler always brings up " O well they killed so many people" but nobaody ever says " well did Hitler kill those people or was it German troops?" But you could repley "well Hitler gave the order and so in a way he did kill all those people" Now no Bush did not literaly pack these people in and shoot them but theres no way he didn't know about and he did nothing to stop and/or condem the people who did. For all I know he could have ordered this but we don't know that he did so I wont go down that road, but Bush had to have known and he did nothing I'd say that makes him somewhat liable ya know being commander and cheif and all at the time.
    Bush didn't order the killing of these prisoners. Does that answer your question?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    I agree with you. Past presidents (not all of course), from Truman on IMO, have been at least accessories to war crimes.

    You cannot blame Bush as he most likely did not know about it, but, and this is a maybe, some US SF personnel did know, because what happened at the beginning of the war in Afghanistan was that A-teams were sent to aid several NA commanders and the A-teams and NA Commanders, at the beginning of the war, were together 24/7.
    I would say that if you want to accuse Bush or Obama of being war criminals, citing drone strikes doesn't really help. There are other rationales for accusing them as such, but I don't think drone strikes constitute war crimes.

  3. #23
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Obama has increased the number of drone strikes as well as their locations and it is known to the public at large (and definitely to him) that these drone strikes are causing civilians to die. Since killing civilians is a war crime and Obama knows that these drone strikes do sometimes kill civilians, is Obama a war criminal?

    Please note that I am not saying that the drone strikes kill only civilians, rather that they just kill civilians along with terrorists.

    Please note as well that I am not saying that Obama is a war criminal, I'm just posing the question is all.
    He just like Bush are not war criminals.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #24
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    I agree with you. Past presidents (not all of course), from Truman on IMO, have been at least accessories to war crimes.

    You cannot blame Bush as he most likely did not know about it, but, and this is a maybe, some US SF personnel did know, because what happened at the beginning of the war in Afghanistan was that A-teams were sent to aid several NA commanders and the A-teams and NA Commanders, at the beginning of the war, were together 24/7.
    Perhaps, if US troops were on site and turned a blind eye to what was happening, then obviously there could be some misconduct there. Which is why Obama decided to launch an probe/investigation into the incident. But again, Bush is not responsible for what happened here. This particular massacre does not make Bush a war criminal.

  5. #25
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Resist the gov. View Post
    Aw ok I see were your going with this and I think that argument falls short because everyone else when debating about Stalin or Hitler always brings up " O well they killed so many people" but nobaody ever says " well did Hitler kill those people or was it German troops?" But you could repley "well Hitler gave the order and so in a way he did kill all those people" Now no Bush did not literaly pack these people in and shoot them but theres no way he didn't know about and he did nothing to stop and/or condem the people who did. For all I know he could have ordered this but we don't know that he did so I wont go down that road, but Bush had to have known and he did nothing I'd say that makes him somewhat liable ya know being commander and cheif and all at the time.
    First of Stalin and Hitler had policies for Massacres and Genocide. Secondly Bush and the American Government do not. Thirdly you can not blame Bush for something the NA did.

  6. #26
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Is mr obama a war criminal? By the standards so many judged mr bush, then yes, he is a war criminal. Are/were those standards moronic, naive, childish, did I say moronic?, yes.

    There is a solid argument, rooted in international law, that could classify the Iraq War as illegal, thus making Bush a war criminal. I'm not sure if I know enough to agree or disagree with this judgment, but the rationale behind this thinking is not moronic, naive, or childish. Either way drone strikes do not a war criminal make.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-26-11 at 01:30 PM.

  7. #27
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    There is a solid argument, rooted in international law, that could classify the Iraq War as illegal, thus making Bush a war criminal. I'm not sure if I know enough to agree or disagree with this judgment, but the rationale behind this thinking is not moronic, naive, or childish. Either way drone strikes do not a war criminal make.
    No, the Security Counsel gave 100% support for the use of force against Saddam Hussein for not complying with UN resolutions.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #28
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    No, the Security Counsel gave 100% support for the use of force against Saddam Hussein for not complying with UN resolutions.
    The UN Charter only permits the Security Council to authorize the use of force against an aggressor. However Saddam may or may not have pissed off the UN Weapons inspectors, he was not acting aggressively.

    UN Security Council: Members

    So one could argue that the Security Council actually did not have the right to authorize the use of force in such a situation, unless Saddam actually acted in an aggressive manner. Furthermore there is the argument that the UN Security Council's final resolution only laid out conditions that must be met before armed force was actually used, but did not actually permit a military invasion.

    Here is a more comprehensive discussion of the issue:
    Legitimacy of the 2003 invasion of Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Legality of the Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-26-11 at 01:44 PM.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    97

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Was Bush termed a "war criminal"? Obama continues one of the wars Bush started.

    Is sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander?

  10. #30
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Obama A War Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    The UN Charter only permits the Security Council to authorize the use of force against an aggressor. However Saddam may or may not have pissed off the UN Weapons inspectors, he was not acting aggressively.

    UN Security Council: Members

    So one could argue that the Security Council actually did not have the right to authorize the use of force in such a situation, unless Saddam actually acted in an aggressive manner. Furthermore there is the argument that the UN Security Council's final resolution only laid out conditions that must be met before armed force was actually used, but did not actually permit a military invasion.

    Here is a more comprehensive discussion of the issue:
    Legitimacy of the 2003 invasion of Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Legality of the Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You can argue all you want, okay. But if you do, I'll say that Johnson should have been hung for the Vietnam War. Clinton should have been hung for firing those cruise missiles. You really want to go there? Do you?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •