View Poll Results: Terms Limits.

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Limits on the House

    0 0%
  • Limits on the Senate

    0 0%
  • Both

    36 85.71%
  • No limits.

    6 14.29%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

  1. #71
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The system did seem to also work well for Tom Delay, Ted Stevens, Charlie Rangel, William Jefferson, etc, etc. I also ran found these statistics that were interesting:

    "After researching public records, newspaper articles, civil court transcripts, and criminal records, Capitol Hill Blue discovered that:

    * 29 members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse.

    * 7 have been arrested for fraud.

    * 19 have been accused of writing bad checks.

    * 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.

    * 3 have been arrested for assault.

    * 71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for a
    credit card.

    * 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.

    * 8 have been arrested for shoplifting.

    * 21 are current defendants in lawsuits.

    * And in 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving, but released after they claimed Congressional immunity."

    AskMe: What percent of Congress have criminal records?


    "Mark Twain once said Congress may be America's only 'distinct criminal class' -- and this new study suggests he was correct,"
    How many of them don't pay their taxes?

  2. #72
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,122

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Should there be terms limits on the House and and the Senate?

    I Believe there should be terms limits on congress so we could get some new blood in there instead of having members in that have been in there for 30 years. This could limit career politicians on both sides that don't care about America. 4 Terms for the House and two terms on the Senate.
    While I absolutely agree with you, it requires a constitutional amendment. Given that the constitutional amendment will require the affirmative votes of the very people who's wings you wish to clip..... well, the proverbial snowball has a much better chance.

    One of my congressman (Tom Tancredo) went to Washington in 1994 as a very vocal champion of term limits. When is volunteered limit was up, he decided his work was much too important and unfinished to step aside and he hung around for another 3 terms.

  3. #73
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I think pay cuts may be a bad thing. If you cut pay for Congressmen and Senators, then only the wealthiest people can afford to run for office. That's bad whether or not term limits get implemented.

    Although I'd be willing to compromise and cut pay for Congressmen and Senators who are independently wealthy enough to be able to forego their congressional salaries. Basically, someone who makes only a few thousand a year will get a full congressional salary but someone who is a multi-millionaire and can maintain it even while in office will have to forego their congressional salary.
    I can see your point, but when I generally hear what politicians make, I think it's too much. Why should governors make more than six figures for example? And governor's usually get to live in a governor's mansion. And before John Bohner became house speaker, he was netting a quarter million a year.

    You don't want them getting too comfortable with the pay or want to stay for the pay... that's the wrong reason for them to want to stay. I think they shouldn't make more than the median income of the people they represent. I remember when Bush didn't know the price a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, and the price of gasoline. He didn't buy his own fuel... wtf. Our leaders should know those things, and they should understand what a dollar means to the people they represent.

    ... so how do we make sure everybody, wealthy and not, has a fair chance to run and to win? Somebody mentioned jury duty, but I don't see that working or being in line with constitution.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    If it is "the people's chamber" it is up to the people to decide that. If "the people" want the same representative for 40 years, that is "the people's" decision.
    The problem, especially with representatives, is that they are able to set up districts which make it easier to be re-elected, simply because they can group all of their fanatical supporters in one area. Further, since only one Democrat and one Republican are going to be on the ballot, if you have a liberal-heavy or conservative-heavy district, it's a no-brainer who is going to get elected. It's not necessarily popularity, but statistical manipulation that gets some of these people re-elected over and over again.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #75
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    I'm entirely in favor of term limits, in fact, I'll go farther than that. I think that no person should be allowed to serve more than 3-4 terms in *ANY* capacity in public office. That means President all the way down to dog catcher. There has to be a point at which people go out into the private sector and get a grip on reality. Spend at least one term out of four entirely out of government service, then you can come back if you want. The whole point of being a representative of the people is to serve the public interest, not to enrich yourself. That's what government has become.

    I also want to see all districts redrawn regularly, by a computer, so that no one can design their districts to re-elect them or their party. It will make people actually serve the people in their district, rather than just the extremists who they have to convince to vote for them. After all, with only one Democrat or one Republican candidate in a heavily-focused district, one is always going to win, so long as the extremists go along.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #76
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I can see your point, but when I generally hear what politicians make, I think it's too much. Why should governors make more than six figures for example? And governor's usually get to live in a governor's mansion. And before John Bohner became house speaker, he was netting a quarter million a year.

    You don't want them getting too comfortable with the pay or want to stay for the pay... that's the wrong reason for them to want to stay. I think they shouldn't make more than the median income of the people they represent. I remember when Bush didn't know the price a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, and the price of gasoline. He didn't buy his own fuel... wtf. Our leaders should know those things, and they should understand what a dollar means to the people they represent.

    ... so how do we make sure everybody, wealthy and not, has a fair chance to run and to win? Somebody mentioned jury duty, but I don't see that working or being in line with constitution.
    Well, it's not about running and winning - they do that with campaign donations. It's about paying for their basic needs, such as housing and shelter and food. And don't forget that most Congressmen and Senators have wives and children or other family to support as well.

    And then you get into other things like security for them and their families. One reason why congressmen put their kids into private school isn't because they're elitist - it's because those private schools are designed to secure children from threats that would target them for being the children of congressmen.

    As for pay for political officials, I see no better justification for the use of referendums, even if only limited to the use of determining politicians' pay.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #77
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, it's not about running and winning - they do that with campaign donations. It's about paying for their basic needs, such as housing and shelter and food. And don't forget that most Congressmen and Senators have wives and children or other family to support as well.

    And then you get into other things like security for them and their families. One reason why congressmen put their kids into private school isn't because they're elitist - it's because those private schools are designed to secure children from threats that would target them for being the children of congressmen.

    As for pay for political officials, I see no better justification for the use of referendums, even if only limited to the use of determining politicians' pay.
    OK... I understand what you meant now... but I still think making over 100,000 while in public office is too much, unless you're the president, VP, or in high federal offices... but for a typical Governor, Congressman/woman, it's too much.

    When I said drastic pay cuts I wasn't talking about living on 15,000 a year... I think something reasonable depending on the size of the family would be fine... I'd say maybe 30,000 to 60,000.. up to 80,000 for large families including benefits and housing as usual
    Last edited by SheWolf; 01-31-11 at 05:49 PM.

  8. #78
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    According to this website Maine's governor is the lowest paid in the union... 70,000

    CA's governor is the highest paid... 206,500

    The median pay for a governor is 124,360.... and I think it's too much personally.

  9. #79
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?


  10. #80
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    According to this website Maine's governor is the lowest paid in the union... 70,000

    CA's governor is the highest paid... 206,500

    The median pay for a governor is 124,360.... and I think it's too much personally.
    Oh, I agree. That's why I think pay for elected office should be determined every term by a referendum of the people. Let the people decide every so often how much their representatives be rewarded for office. I think that's the best way to do it.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •