View Poll Results: Terms Limits.

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Limits on the House

    0 0%
  • Limits on the Senate

    0 0%
  • Both

    36 85.71%
  • No limits.

    6 14.29%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81

Thread: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

  1. #31
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Whenever this issue comes up, I always say the same thing. I reject term limits... in fact I fully support repealing the 22nd Amendment. If someone good actually gets into office, I think it is ridiculous to have it mandatory that they leave. Also, I prefer to put these kinds of decisions in the hands of the voters. Don't like someone? Vote them out. I understand the issue about apathy, but, to me, if you are supporting term limits because of apathy, you are suggesting government controls of apathy.

    I always look at jobs in Congress and the Senate as JOBS. You don't "fire" someone because they've been there long enough.
    I agree that what you said makes a lot of sense but here is where I see a fault with the current practice. The longer a congressman stays in office, the more likely they are to be corrupted by money and power. Many times the voters are unaware of this corruption unless they are caught so they are not removed in an election, term after term.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I agree that what you said makes a lot of sense but here is where I see a fault with the current practice. The longer a congressman stays in office, the more likely they are to be corrupted by money and power. Many times the voters are unaware of this corruption unless they are caught so they are not removed in an election, term after term.
    Just because it is more likely, doesn't mean it happens. Some congressmen do good work no matter how long they stay in office. You're stating that term limits should be enacted IN CASE those in congress become corrupt. Why condemn folks without evidence?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #33
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Other Presidents followed suit more out of respect for Washington than anything else. If Washington had stayed 3 terms, my guess is, out of respect for him, others would have used that as their limit.
    But he didn't, and they didn't, and two terms has been the norm from the inception of the country until the constitution was codified to make it not only the norm, but the law.

  4. #34
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I vote yes for both and think you will generally find bipartisan support among the people for term limits in Congress. Unfortunately, I think you will also find bipartisan opposition to it by our representatives of both parties.
    Therein lies the rub. Dispite the fact that I believe the country as a whole probably favors term limits in close to the same percentages as our poll indicates, congressfolk and senators will never, ever vote themselves out of power. How can we, the powerless voters, ever hope to rectify the current situation of lifetime politicians bought and paid for by lobbyists and corporate bribes? I seriously don't have an answer to that question. I simply know that somehow, some way, we must find the answer if we are to clean up the corruption and incompetence of our government.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    But he didn't, and they didn't, and two terms has been the norm from the inception of the country until the constitution was codified to make it not only the norm, but the law.
    OK. Not sure how that addresses my point. Rememeber. Appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy. Just because it was always done one way doesn't prove that it SHOULD be done that way.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #36
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Just because it is more likely, doesn't mean it happens. Some congressmen do good work no matter how long they stay in office. You're stating that term limits should be enacted IN CASE those in congress become corrupt. Why condemn folks without evidence?
    It has happened often enough that I feel it would be a good idea to limit the number of terms a representative can run. I don't look at term limits as condemning someone without evidence, I think of it as another check and balance to a system prone to corruption by the corporate powers that be.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It has happened often enough that I feel it would be a good idea to limit the number of terms a representative can run. I don't look at term limits as condemning someone without evidence, I think of it as another check and balance to a system prone to corruption by the corporate powers that be.
    Well, I disagree. I don't want to take the power of who respresents the people away from the people.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #38
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Therein lies the rub. Dispite the fact that I believe the country as a whole probably favors term limits in close to the same percentages as our poll indicates, congressfolk and senators will never, ever vote themselves out of power. How can we, the powerless voters, ever hope to rectify the current situation of lifetime politicians bought and paid for by lobbyists and corporate bribes? I seriously don't have an answer to that question. I simply know that somehow, some way, we must find the answer if we are to clean up the corruption and incompetence of our government.
    Afraid I don't have any magic answer. Perhaps if everyone demanded a pledge by candidates for term limits? While I think it would be a good thing, I don't really see it happening. Wish I could be more optimistic!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #39
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    OK. Not sure how that addresses my point. Rememeber. Appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy. Just because it was always done one way doesn't prove that it SHOULD be done that way.
    That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that presidents chose to do it that way until the early 20th century, when the constitution was amended to say that it should be done that way... by law. I see no logical fallacy in that.

  10. #40
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Term limits on the House and the Senate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Afraid I don't have any magic answer. Perhaps if everyone demanded a pledge by candidates for term limits? While I think it would be a good thing, I don't really see it happening. Wish I could be more optimistic!
    Yeah, me too. Until we have a "national referendum" similar to what California has, we are completely at the mercy of lawmakes to make the laws they want rather than the laws that we need.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •