View Poll Results: Should we allow students to be recruited?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 45.95%
  • No

    18 48.65%
  • No opinion

    2 5.41%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 172

Thread: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    true, but don't single out athletes like they are the only ones who get special treatment.
    They're all part of the same group of privileged ****tards. The academic side of University (you know, the entire point of University) doesn't get a whole lot from athletics. The big schools can pull of a bit, but other places not so much.

    And I wasn't "singling" them out. This thread was about student athletes, not kids from rich families. I don't have to mention every caveat when the subject has been specified.
    Last edited by Ikari; 01-26-11 at 01:33 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #42
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,690
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    The biggest benefit of sports at universities is publicity. Schools with good football and basketball teams tend to grow while schools with poor football and basketball teams tend to shrink. If sports make children enthusiastic about going to college and getting a degree, then let them do that.

    In addition, most universities use the money raised by sports to fund other academic projects. Some use the money for learning programs for children. Others raise money for new buildings and equipment on campus. The whole system is mutually beneficial to all involved.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #43
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Those are mostly lies told to you by the athletics department. I've seen the money flow, it's rarely from athletics to academic departments. Most of the money from athletics goes into advertising for the University and to the athletics department. You get well more money into the academic system by supporting research facilities than you do by supporting a football team.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #44
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Those are mostly lies told to you by the athletics department. I've seen the money flow, it's rarely from athletics to academic departments. Most of the money from athletics goes into advertising for the University and to the athletics department. You get well more money into the academic system by supporting research facilities than you do by supporting a football team.
    and regardless, little timmy brainiac gets the same education. so what's the harm?

    it's like bitching because Kentucky Fried CHICKEN serves cole slaw. because dammit, they should be focused on chicken
    Last edited by OscarB63; 01-26-11 at 01:43 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and regardless, little timmy brainiac gets the same education. so what's the harm?

    it's like bitching because Kentucky Fried CHICKEN serves cole slaw. because dammit, they should be focused on chicken
    First off, it's about dispelling the myth that somehow football generates significant revenue for academia. Secondly, it's that because of the business of college football and basketball in particularly; some "students" are not achieving anything scholastically and are cheating to make sure good players get the grades they need to continue to play. If Timmy "brainiac" doesn't perform up to the academic standards, he's out of there. If a star football player doesn't perform up to academic standards, it's well more likely in that case that certain administrators make sure that they still get a passing grade.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #46
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    First off, it's about dispelling the myth that somehow football generates significant revenue for academia. Secondly, it's that because of the business of college football and basketball in particularly; some "students" are not achieving anything scholastically and are cheating to make sure good players get the grades they need to continue to play. If Timmy "brainiac" doesn't perform up to the academic standards, he's out of there. If a star football player doesn't perform up to academic standards, it's well more likely in that case that certain administrators make sure that they still get a passing grade.
    and in the end who is harmed? much ado about nothing. it would be a different matter if athletics actually harmed academia, but it doesn't.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    97

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Based on my accounts with other students, I would think so.

    Assuming this is the case, it is questionable in terms of fairness.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    So cheating is ok, getting achievements you haven't earned is ok, getting special treatment for worse work is ok, so long as no one else is hurt? That's your argument? I should have the same degree as some guy who can barely add because he was a good lineman? As a conservative, that's going to be your argument? Performance in a stated goal is not important so long as performance in a secondary goal is achieved?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    97

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Perhaps both aspects should be split apart.

    Should universities only be places for learning, or should they encompass many multiple facets?

  10. #50
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Is Admitting Students to College based on Sports Beneficial?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    University should be based on academic achievement and ability alone.
    This has never been the case nor should it. Admissions officers consider the entire person, not just grades and SAT scores. If only grades and SAT scores were looked at, then the US system will come to resemble systems in Asia that only stress academics and test scores and not other things that lead to the development of a person. Universities want a diverse community with many interests and skill sets, not only bookworms...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •