View Poll Results: What do you think of Capital Punishment?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Support it

    50 50.00%
  • Condone it

    21 21.00%
  • Neutral

    2 2.00%
  • other (explain)

    27 27.00%
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 331

Thread: Capital Punishment

  1. #321
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A society which chooses to kill members of that society is deeply dysfunctional. There is no level of proof high enough.
    You mean a society like the vast majority of societies that have ever existed in all of human history? It's amazing we've survived this long.

  2. #322
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    You mean a society like the vast majority of societies that have ever existed in all of human history? It's amazing we've survived this long.
    Civil War has existed throughout human civilisation and I'd suggest hardly any country has avoided it. It is still a sign of a dysfunctional society, no?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #323
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Civil War has existed throughout human civilisation and I'd suggest hardly any country has avoided it. It is still a sign of a dysfunctional society, no?
    Armenia has not had a civil war.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #324
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    You mean a society like the vast majority of societies that have ever existed in all of human history? It's amazing we've survived this long.
    Most civilizations have altered their social justices severely over the period of recorded human history. Eliminating capitol punishment is a logical progression of such human growth and developement.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Nothing civilized about allowing a murderer to live. He should be afforded the same rights he afforded his victim.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A society which chooses to kill members of that society is deeply dysfunctional. There is no level of proof high enough.
    You mean besides the fact that capital punishment, properly applied, serves as a deterent on two levels?

    First level is that there's no record of anyone punished so permanently has ever turned recidivist.

    Second level is that when capital punishment is applied as the natural outcome of heinous crime, without the media circus, the little whiny left-winger hand wringers crying outside the prison, without the all the petty absurd emotion that goes with the bed wetters upset that a killer is being discarded, when, in fact, the punishment is applied routinely and surely, and most importantly, SWIFTLY for certain acts, people stop and think before they commit those acts themselves.

    There's something wrong with someone who can shed a tear for a Jeffrey Dahmer, a Jose Avila, a Charles Manson, to name a few .

  7. #327
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    You mean besides the fact that capital punishment, properly applied, serves as a deterent on two levels?

    First level is that there's no record of anyone punished so permanently has ever turned recidivist.

    Second level is that when capital punishment is applied as the natural outcome of heinous crime, without the media circus, the little whiny left-winger hand wringers crying outside the prison, without the all the petty absurd emotion that goes with the bed wetters upset that a killer is being discarded, when, in fact, the punishment is applied routinely and surely, and most importantly, SWIFTLY for certain acts, people stop and think before they commit those acts themselves.

    There's something wrong with someone who can shed a tear for a Jeffrey Dahmer, a Jose Avila, a Charles Manson, to name a few .
    I see you've just arrived. If you had bothered to read any of the preceding 325 posts you'd have noticed that the argument for the deterrent effect of the DP has already been dealt with at great length. Your argument lost btw, as the more intelligent of your fellow DP supporters reject it too. We have moved on. Now, are you here to debate, and if so, please familiarise yourself with the state of play. If you wish to restart the entire debate from scratch, please start a new thread of your own. I'm sure you'll find others willing to play.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #328
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    You mean a society like the vast majority of societies that have ever existed in all of human history? It's amazing we've survived this long.
    Very strange. So executing children must be a good thing then? Or paedophilia - the Greeks survived a long time. Or slavery - I think the vast majority of societies in human history had that too...
    Last edited by Plato; 03-09-11 at 08:45 PM.
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  9. #329
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    You mean besides the fact that capital punishment, properly applied, serves as a deterent on two levels?

    First level is that there's no record of anyone punished so permanently has ever turned recidivist.

    Second level is that when capital punishment is applied as the natural outcome of heinous crime, without the media circus, the little whiny left-winger hand wringers crying outside the prison, without the all the petty absurd emotion that goes with the bed wetters upset that a killer is being discarded, when, in fact, the punishment is applied routinely and surely, and most importantly, SWIFTLY for certain acts, people stop and think before they commit those acts themselves.

    There's something wrong with someone who can shed a tear for a Jeffrey Dahmer, a Jose Avila, a Charles Manson, to name a few .
    This is just Bollocks and had been clearly demonstrated as such by this thread. There is no evidence of capital punishment being a deterrent. In fact the evidence points to the fact that this contributes to a violent culture which makes violent crime more likely. Capital punishment eventually increases capital crime. The arguments are all here.

    Personal attacks on those who disagree with the death penalty seem to be all some pro DP people have.

    Most anti DP people I know are against it because of what it does to us- reducing us to killers. But cheap and easy abuse is too tempting for the grunting intellects of too many vengeance seeking thugs.

    What is it that these swivel eyed morons get off on (that is some of the anti DP people who seem to think that killers think just like them - a disconcerting thought to say the least)?

    Do they sit there fantasizing about their own children getting raped and murdered (you know, that "what if it was your daughter?" argument) so as to work themselves up into a frenzy of rage? Do they spend hours imagining the cruelty of murders and abuse before getting lost in an emotional tornado of unconsummated anger-lust?

    What drives these foam mouthed purple templed guardians of justice?
    Last edited by Plato; 03-09-11 at 08:42 PM.
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Capital Punishment

    The Deterrent is only as effective as the Punishment is Harsh........

    To all the doubters and deniers..........

    Man accused of stalking woman before killing her in Oak Brook - Chicago Sun-Times

    Man accused of stalking woman before killing her in Oak Brook

    Berlin said Smirnov had done research on the Internet to determine if Illinois had the death penalty, deciding to go through with Vesel’s murder when he discovered it does not.
    .
    .
    ........the Death Penalty doesnt deter crime huh.......tell that to the family of Jitka Vesel.
    .
    .
    .

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •