View Poll Results: What do you think of Capital Punishment?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Support it

    50 50.00%
  • Condone it

    21 21.00%
  • Neutral

    2 2.00%
  • other (explain)

    27 27.00%
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 331

Thread: Capital Punishment

  1. #231
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Agree. Bleeding hearts wish to whine and cry that it is not a deterrent due to all these lame ass studies but the fact is that we have not used Capital Punishment in the way that we should be so no study in the USA world can speak about things we are not doing.

    I am pretty sure that if we started killing these monsters and sending a clear message to anybody living in the U.S.A.: if you kill someone in cold blood for no reason we can and will kill you in a speedy fashion? The lower than **** asswipes doing these things will stop and re-think their actions.

    I am also 100% sure that if we started killing these little prick assholes that rape babies and small children that these digusting monsters would re-think what they do.

    If we send a clear message that if you do this in this country you will DIE? You damn sure bet your ass it will go down. Period. Point. Blank.
    You really believe this drivel? That psychos and schizophrenics will suddenly become respectable God fearing citizens if you kill even more of them? Maybe if you say it enough and convince yourself of the effeminacy of us inadequates who disagree with you, you can make it so?
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  2. #232
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    So what would you say to the families......of the thousands of prison guards, correctional officers, and other inmates killed by convicted murderers during their incarceration?

    Tell them about the 100% effective rate.......
    .
    .
    .
    I'd say you have a big problem if thousands of prison guards are getting killed. A problem that exists nowhere else in the world. Thousands of prison guards dying at work. How do they recruit any?

    Another solution : just kill all lawbreakers. After all I bet some of the "thousands" of murders that you seem to have conjured up here were committed by people who were not convicted of murder. Kill all psychotic people as well, unless you want to explain to the families of the thousands of psychiatric nurses why their relatives were killed by mad people that we allowed to live. Kill epileptics, as they are prone to lose control and kill people. Kill...well just kill, kill. ...I'm sure it will make you feel better.
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's not incomprehensibe, some of us just don't think it's proper use of the government to extract revenge killings on criminals.
    You keep wanting to attribute it to revenge. I've worked with murderers. I don't hate them. One of my clients shot two people to death over hubcaps. He was still my client, even after the killing.

    I just understand that there are some humans who aren't salvageable, and keeping them in prison exposes OTHER INMATES and guards to danger from them. Prolonging their lives serves no legitimate purpose.

    Is it possible for some of you to debate this issue without resorting to strawmen? Apparently not.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    You really believe this drivel? That psychos and schizophrenics will suddenly become respectable God fearing citizens if you kill even more of them? Maybe if you say it enough and convince yourself of the effeminacy of us inadequates who disagree with you, you can make it so?
    The murdering sort of psychos and schizos are unlikely to reform, and thus should be culled from the herd, lest they do further harm.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    I'd say you have a big problem if thousands of prison guards are getting killed. A problem that exists nowhere else in the world. Thousands of prison guards dying at work. How do they recruit any?

    Another solution : just kill all lawbreakers. After all I bet some of the "thousands" of murders that you seem to have conjured up here were committed by people who were not convicted of murder. Kill all psychotic people as well, unless you want to explain to the families of the thousands of psychiatric nurses why their relatives were killed by mad people that we allowed to live. Kill epileptics, as they are prone to lose control and kill people. Kill...well just kill, kill. ...I'm sure it will make you feel better.
    Do you feel better after getting your little temper tantrum out here?

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Firstly, you really ought to get your vocabulary straight.

    "Condone" does not mean the same thing as "condemn", which I suspect is the word you were looking for. If not, your poll is heavily biased and entirely useless, because both options mean the same thing.

    Secondly, I condemn the death penalty, because, as a former soldier, I can tell you that the single most damaging act a government can take to lose its legitimacy is kill its own citizens. There are no "if"s, "but"s, or objections -- killing your own citizens for any reason, whatsoever, is unacceptable. When a government legally allows for the execution of its own citizens, no matter the reason, that government has no moral high ground to claim.

    The law is bull****e, when you take an eye-for-an-eye approach -- because the eye-for-an-eye approach necessarily means you're committing the same crime as the criminal.

    Capital punishment is barbaric, lazy, ineffective and destructive to the law.

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    I'd say you have a big problem if thousands of prison guards are getting killed. A problem that exists nowhere else in the world. Thousands of prison guards dying at work. How do they recruit any?

    Another solution : just kill all lawbreakers. After all I bet some of the "thousands" of murders that you seem to have conjured up here were committed by people who were not convicted of murder. Kill all psychotic people as well, unless you want to explain to the families of the thousands of psychiatric nurses why their relatives were killed by mad people that we allowed to live. Kill epileptics, as they are prone to lose control and kill people. Kill...well just kill, kill. ...I'm sure it will make you feel better.
    Its true not all the murdered prison guards, correctional officers, and inmates come from the actions of incarcerated convicted murderers......just the majority.

    The deterent is only as effective as the punishment is harsh.......if you think you can bring down the murder rate by handing out $50.00 fines in lieu of a death penalty......try it.
    .
    .
    .

  8. #238
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,183

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Its true not all the murdered prison guards, correctional officers, and inmates come from the actions of incarcerated convicted murderers......just the majority.

    The deterent is only as effective as the punishment is harsh.......if you think you can bring down the murder rate by handing out $50.00 fines in lieu of a death penalty......try it.
    This is the point you put up some proof or gtf. Numbers of correctional officers and prison staff murdered per year? Are you sure it runs to thousands?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #239
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Its true not all the murdered prison guards, correctional officers, and inmates come from the actions of incarcerated convicted murderers......just the majority.

    The deterent is only as effective as the punishment is harsh.......if you think you can bring down the murder rate by handing out $50.00 fines in lieu of a death penalty......try it.
    .
    .
    .
    Yeah that's what I think. $50 fines all round. Because apparently if you don't believe in the death penalty you believe in freedom for murderers. Bit like Monty Python really. Is that really the best you've got? Crucifixion, over there, crucifixion, over there, freedom actually, freedom?, yes freedom, oh well then off you go, only joking...crucifixion really....Remember that? Oh never mind.

    I notice the preference for abuse over argument in your posting but this time don't you think you're just scraping the barrel! I mean, that was just a pathetic whimper of a post wasn't it. It hadn't even got any testosterone flowing through it!

    Lets look at the clear experience of societies which have no death penalty. You would think that they would have much higher murder rates than the US. The US may not kill enough people quickly enough for you but those limp wristed feeble minded Euros are without any deterrent whatsoever! But this is the opposite of the truth. European countries have far, far, far lower rates of murder (especially it would seem of prison guards who are seldom even armed in European correctional facilities) than in the USA. There is clearly a strong prima facie case that this may demonstrate that judicial killing doesn't reduce your murder rate.

    Let me help you out with the argument against that: obviously there could be other variables involved without which Europe would have a far higher murder rate than the US. What could they be?

    Well, less relative poverty, or more gun control in Europe maybe? Those two don't fit the right wing agenda? There can simply be no correlation between the fact that most Europeans never handle a hand gun on their whole lives and the murder rate using handguns.

    OK then, maybe it's the higher success rate of the police in solving the murders? Nope, can't be that because everyone knows that it's the death penalty that deters, not the chances of getting caught.

    Maybe it's the fact that all the bad Europeans emigrated to America, so everyone in Europe is good? Nope again, everyone knows that the country with the highest murder rates in the advanced world is God's country.

    Maybe it's the special air we breathe in Europe, or the garlic in French and Italian food, or the salt in Scottish porridge, or just the fact that we're all just a bunch of effeminate gayboys who can't lift a pistol? Maybe it's our queer historical preference for the rule of law over the lynch mob, or warm English beer that sends us to sleep in the afternoon. It must be something after all.

    Because without whatever it is, Europe would be up to the ankles in dead prison guards, murdered police, dead children, raped and murdered mothers. If only Europe would see sense and start strangling people to death again, it's crime rate would be even lower than the record low that it already is in history. In fact there would be no crime at all.

    Vengeance is all you've got... Oh and that system where Catz appoints himself judge of all the murderers who get compassion and all those who deserve to die.
    Last edited by Plato; 02-14-11 at 09:55 PM.
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  10. #240
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,016
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Comparing statistics in the USA with individual countries in Europe is disingenuous, because of the immense population difference. If one truly wanted to compare apples to apples... the per capita murder statistic for entire population of Europe... one must total the number of homicides in the whole of Europe compared with the total population of the whole of Europe.

    That's all of Europe! Simply cherry-picking the five most westernized nations, such as UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain, doesn't quite cut it. Not unless we get to cut out a bunch of states with high homicide rates, and pretend they're not really part of the USA!

    That's the problem with using statistics to prove a point. They are too easily manipulated and skewered to be of value, unless the underlying data has been scrupulously and meticulously validated. For example, if we were to simply view "Total Crimes per capita by Country), poor New Zealand is the #2 worst in the world! Poor innocent Denmark comes in at #4! The UK is #6, and the USA below them all at #8.

    It's okay to be against the death penalty. A lot of Americans certainly are.

    But when one pits Europe against the USA based on statistics, i.e. "...the country with the highest murder rates in the advanced world...", and seven European countries have statistically higher murder rates than the USA, then what we have here is statiscally unsubstantiated hyperbole delivered in a condescending, aggressive and sarcastic style that probably won't serve you well here.

    I'm just sayin'.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •