View Poll Results: What do you think of Capital Punishment?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Support it

    50 50.00%
  • Condone it

    21 21.00%
  • Neutral

    2 2.00%
  • other (explain)

    27 27.00%
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 331

Thread: Capital Punishment

  1. #211
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Capital Punishment

    You see, Catz? You appear to be in a minority of death penalty supporters who accept the irrelevance of the deterrence argument. You have Kori, TD and Kali all banging that old, discredited trope. Sin evidencia, btw. I've provided some evidence proving deterrence doesn't work, yet these posters believe that it goes without saying that the more severe the punishment the greater criminals are deterred from committing crime. The argument?
    I mean HELLO
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #212
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,044

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You see, Catz? You appear to be in a minority of death penalty supporters who accept the irrelevance of the deterrence argument. You have Kori, TD and Kali all banging that old, discredited trope. Sin evidencia, btw. I've provided some evidence proving deterrence doesn't work, yet these posters believe that it goes without saying that the more severe the punishment the greater criminals are deterred from committing crime. The argument?
    I am with her. All I get in response is that it isn't a deterrent. That aspect is IRRELEVANT though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #213
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,730

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You see, Catz? You appear to be in a minority of death penalty supporters who accept the irrelevance of the deterrence argument. You have Kori, TD and Kali all banging that old, discredited trope. Sin evidencia, btw. I've provided some evidence proving deterrence doesn't work, yet these posters believe that it goes without saying that the more severe the punishment the greater criminals are deterred from committing crime. The argument?
    a bit of reading comprehension problem I see

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    some people need frying but I don't like giving the government the power to fry people

    Former US attorney in Ohio, now a federal judge

    I feel the same way though I fully support laws that hold harmless intended victims of violent crime killing their attackers (or worse) as long as the time period is within a reasonable interval connected to the criminal attack



  4. #214
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You see, Catz? You appear to be in a minority of death penalty supporters who accept the irrelevance of the deterrence argument. You have Kori, TD and Kali all banging that old, discredited trope. Sin evidencia, btw. I've provided some evidence proving deterrence doesn't work, yet these posters believe that it goes without saying that the more severe the punishment the greater criminals are deterred from committing crime. The argument?
    Again: "If stricter laws do not work then why do we have laws to start with? We have laws because it helps to keep crime under control and does reduce crime."

    I think I have a valid point here?
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  5. #215
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You see, Catz? You appear to be in a minority of death penalty supporters who accept the irrelevance of the deterrence argument. You have Kori, TD and Kali all banging that old, discredited trope. Sin evidencia, btw. I've provided some evidence proving deterrence doesn't work, yet these posters believe that it goes without saying that the more severe the punishment the greater criminals are deterred from committing crime. The argument?
    I've also posted a couple of times in this thread that the death penalty isn't a deterrent. I just believe it's a just punishment for some of the most heinous crimes.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  6. #216
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    I've also posted a couple of times in this thread that the death penalty isn't a deterrent. I just believe it's a just punishment for some of the most heinous crimes.
    Agreed. This seems so simple, yet somehow, incomprehensible to some.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #217
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I feel the same way though I fully support laws that hold harmless intended victims of violent crime killing their attackers (or worse) as long as the time period is within a reasonable interval connected to the criminal attack
    You must forgive me. Your last sentence makes no sense in English. Try using some punctuation. I tried, but still couldn't get the sentence to work.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #218
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Again: "If stricter laws do not work then why do we have laws to start with? We have laws because it helps to keep crime under control and does reduce crime."

    I think I have a valid point here?
    Well, your point is one about the deterrent effect. We are discussing the DP, now you've broadened it out. We're not talking about the deterrent effect of ANY law or punishment.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #219
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    I've also posted a couple of times in this thread that the death penalty isn't a deterrent. I just believe it's a just punishment for some of the most heinous crimes.
    So you have, TGND, so you have. As has Catz, and it appears Bodhi too. I'll leave this issue now. It arose because Catz was getting aerated at the anti-DP posters banging on about it not being a deterrent when that was not the argument she was using. I pointed out that it WAS the argument a lot of pro-DP posters were using.

    As far as I'm concerned, deterrence is irrelevant. Your position and mine are very easily understood. You think it's a just punishment for heinous crimes. I believe that society shows its superiority by confronting barbarity with civilisation. We say it is wrong to kill, so we should not kill. The DP does not fulfill more than one of the many functions ascribed to punishment. It is inefficient. I respect your position but don't share it. That's it.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #220
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,478

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Some murderers do deserve to be put to death.
    The tricky point is how they decide who deserves it. A guy who kills a homeowner in a robbery is a definite candidate. A guy who kills another guy in a tavern fight I think would be better suited with prison sentence.

    Perhaps capital punishment should be legal in all states except Texas. Giving someone capital punishment needs to have a beyond doubt of having the right guy. Texas has shown over and over again to be a failure in that aspect.

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •