View Poll Results: What do you think of Capital Punishment?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Support it

    50 50.00%
  • Condone it

    21 21.00%
  • Neutral

    2 2.00%
  • other (explain)

    27 27.00%
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 331

Thread: Capital Punishment

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The point is, however, the reasons a person kills overrides any thougth of a deterent.
    A person who is motivated to kill is unlikely to be deterred. Thus, the point of the death penalty and incarceration are to INCAPACITATE them from being able to do further harm. That's the only point of such measures, and really, at that point, incapacitation is the only method that we have found to be 100% effective at keeping really determined criminals from committing crimes.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 02-03-11 at 05:06 PM.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have given you the opportunity to present evidence that it deters. I don't believe there is any such evidence. Perhaps you should take another track?
    This is a fraudulent position. Please stop expecting people to defend fallacies. The point of imprisonment and the death penalty IS NOT deterrence. It's incapacitation from committing further harm. The level of imprisonment and/or administration of the death penalty is based upon the individual's level of harm-doing and propensity for committing future criminal acts.

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    This is a fraudulent position. Please stop expecting people to defend fallacies. The point of imprisonment and the death penalty IS NOT deterrence. It's incapacitation from committing further harm. The level of imprisonment and/or administration of the death penalty is based upon the individual's level of harm-doing and propensity for committing future criminal acts.
    Catz, I think Boo understands this perfectly well, it's just Draco and Badmutha keep harping on about deterrence. They are the ones expecting deterrence to be an issue. You know it's not, I know it's not, and I'm pretty sure Boo does too. But
    Badm Post 141
    Deterrents are only as effective as the punishment is harsh........
    Post 145
    So why have any penalty at all then? If most murderers are inclined to kill regardless.......
    Post 148
    ....thus we dont need as severe a deterrent do we?
    Draco Post 158
    Is punishment and it's varying degrees not a deterent?

    If not, then why have punishments?
    Post 166 I know people who would steal but don't because of the laws. Is it not plausible to think the some people decide not to do the crime, because they don't want to be punished? I would think that some people secretly wish to do crimes but don't because of their fears.
    These are not examples of Boo's 'fraudulent positions', but the insistence that the DP is indeed a deterrent, coming from supporters of it who believe that. Why don't YOU tell those guys that they are reading the party line wrongly?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    These are not examples of Boo's 'fraudulent positions', but the insistence that the DP is indeed a deterrent, coming from supporters of it who believe that. Why don't YOU tell those guys that they are reading the party line wrongly?
    I don't even know what to do with those people. I don't think that word means what they think it means.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    A person who is motivated to kill is unlikely to be deterred. Thus, the point of the death penalty and incarceration are to INCAPACITATE them from being able to do further harm. That's the only point of such measures, and really, at that point, incapacitation is the only method that we have found to be 100% effective at keeping really determined criminals from committing crimes.
    "unlikely".........

    .........it seems you left a little room for deterrence.
    .
    .
    .

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    "unlikely".........

    .........it seems you left a little room for deterrence.
    .
    .
    .
    I don't think you're having the effectiveness in this discussion that you'd like to believe that you're having.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    This is a fraudulent position. Please stop expecting people to defend fallacies. The point of imprisonment and the death penalty IS NOT deterrence. It's incapacitation from committing further harm. The level of imprisonment and/or administration of the death penalty is based upon the individual's level of harm-doing and propensity for committing future criminal acts.
    Actually, he said it was. I realize you have a different take. This was mentioned earlier.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #188
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    A person who is motivated to kill is unlikely to be deterred. Thus, the point of the death penalty and incarceration are to INCAPACITATE them from being able to do further harm. That's the only point of such measures, and really, at that point, incapacitation is the only method that we have found to be 100% effective at keeping really determined criminals from committing crimes.
    I don't disagree with you. I disagree with the person who siad the point was to deter.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Okay then, your only objection is not that an innocent person might be executed (the odds of which are virtually nil now btw), but that it's "wrong". How about what the murderer did? Are you equally offended by their actions?
    No. My major objection is the threat of an innocent person being killed. This moves me from any question on the subject. Remove that, and I'm more open to it. My secondary objection is the feeling that it is fundamentally wrong, being a good Catholic. But, as I said, I can't help but feel some people should die.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't disagree with you. I disagree with the person who siad the point was to deter.
    Thanks for clarifying. That's a really stupid argument.

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •