View Poll Results: Is it?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 73.17%
  • No

    10 24.39%
  • Bok Choy

    1 2.44%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 107

Thread: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Not any more it isn't. The idea of assimilation created the melting pot and created a unique people. But assimilation is dead as an idea in this country. Bluntly - prove this statement. The American Left rejects assimilation and embraces multiculturalism. Multiculturalism killed assimilation and unity. The American Left wants a mixing bowl instead of a melting pot. Unity dies that way.
    I am "liberal - left"...and neither embrace or reject these things. No man is forced into any melting pot...Human tolerance is the melting's pot fire...
    I think the trouble is, the blacks cannot melt and the conservatives hate this..

  2. #62
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Not any more it isn't. The idea of assimilation created the melting pot and created a unique people. But assimilation is dead as an idea in this country. The American Left rejects assimilation and embraces multiculturalism. Multiculturalism killed assimilation and unity. The American Left wants a mixing bowl instead of a melting pot. Unity dies that way.
    These are meaningless platitudes. Let's get to what your bottom line is here: intolerance, inability to accept diversity, hatred of new and different things, fear of change. That's what motivates this talk of "unity" and fear of multiculturalism.

    I find that when you let your fear motivate your thinking you run into the same problem as all fearful people: your desire for self preservation becomes your undoing.

  3. #63
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    And before the 1600's? I'll find out what name they call themselves but they really don't like you guys. Yes, I find american liberals/leftist mostly objectionable. I have no such feelings about the chinese. The chinese kids around here are mostly college kids. They seem nice enough, just like all college kids. They don't always seem to get along with the japanese kids tho. Imagine that.
    Before the 1600s they were on the southern coast of China. Referring the poll I cited before, liberalism is more predominant among Asian-Americans than almost any other demographic (including blacks). And like I stated before I am rather conservative in my personal life. I am a 20-year-old college student (I attend one of the biggest party schools in the entire nation), a virgin, and have never touched alcohol in my life. Imagine that. My political beliefs are totally separate from my personal life.

    Just because I believe that gay marriage should be a right doesn't mean i'm going to get one. Just because I don't think the 2nd amendment is a good idea doesn't mean I'm going to force someone else to get rid of his gun. Just because I despise the idea of hunting/fishing for sport doesn't mean I'm going to force you to stop doing it. Just because I distrust organized religion in general doesn't mean I can't keep an open mind about religion and religious people, and have friends that are uber-religious. Just because I am nonreligious doesn't mean that I don't want to make myself a better person morally. Just because that I believe the government should help those who face barriers to achievement doesn't mean I'm not a hard worker. I support affirmative action in a broad sense even though it hurts Asian-Americans like the me most.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-23-11 at 04:08 PM.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    This is sophistry.
    Simply state that you disagree and why.
    I happen to agree with him(Kandahar)

  5. #65
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Again, you are entitled to your own beliefs as I to mine. Like I said I believe that person should be able to hunt if they require it for sustenance. Hunting/fishing for sport is something I absolutely despise. I also believe that just because something is rooted in traditional and culture doesn't make it morally right. On a personal level i support banning hunting, and I believe that gun ownership is a privilege rather than a natural human right. The mere existence of firearms in our society creates many more problems than it solves, and I don't believe that it really makes our society any more free. However i'm not going to go out of my own way to suggest that we should be banning all those things because in practical terms it probably can't/won't be done.
    This is a prime example of what I have been refering to all along. You want to impose your cultural norms upon mine. I want protection from your culture. I want distance from your culture. I want a divorce from your culture. I want borders.

    For what it's worth, I'm not the only one. Prop 8 was opposed to some 70% of black christians. Hispanics, as a group, hate abortion. There is a lot of talk among hispanics of either joining with mexico or forming a new republic called atzlan. You should think about that. They may vote for your political party, but they don't particularly like you. What these peoples know is what I know, many aspects of your culture are offensive to ours.




    All I can say is the root problem is unwanted pregnancies. Margaret Sanger was much more a proponent of contraception than abortion, although she supported both.
    No, the root problem is the devaluation of human life.


    I can respect that. No (at least none that I know) support the banning of religion and religious organizations. However in the absence of the church, other types of organizations could take on a similar role.
    It has, it's called secular religion. I include socialism and environmentalism in this group. So, american liberals/leftists do have religions.



    I disagree with the first sentence. I can somewhat agree with the second. As for "policeman of the world" I agree that our military intervention abroad is too stretched. However some people hold the view that as the world's leading military superpower we have an obligation to uphold international law and intervene in many cases, because no one else is capable of doing so.
    We're going broke. We are losing the capability to do so. The world isn't worth our blood. BTW, were you aware the majority of the makeup of the military......isn't from your side of the cultural divide? It's time our son's and daughters come home to us. We need them. You've had them long enough.


    source
    .....Based on an understanding of the limitations of any objective definition of quality, this report compares military volunteers to the civilian population on four demographic characteristics: household income, education level, racial and ethnic background, and regional origin. This report finds that:

    U.S. military service disproportionately attracts enlisted personnel and officerswho do not come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Previous Heritage Foundation research demonstrated that the quality of enlisted troops has increased since the start of the Iraq war. This report demonstrates that the same is true of the officer corps.
    Members of the all-volunteer military are significantly more likely to come from high-income neighborhoods than from low-income neighborhoods. Only 11 percent of enlisted recruits in 2007 came from the poorest one-fifth (quintile) of neighborhoods, while 25 percent came from the wealthiest quintile. These trends are even more pronounced in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program, in which 40 percent of enrollees come from the wealthiest neighborhoods-a number that has increased substantially over the past four years.
    American soldiers are more educated than their peers. A little more than 1 percent of enlisted personnel lack a high school degree, compared to 21 percent of men 18-24 years old, and 95 percent of officer accessions have at least a bachelor's degree.
    Contrary to conventional wisdom, minorities are not overrepresented in military service. Enlisted troops are somewhat more likely to be white or black than their non-military peers. Whites are proportionately represented in the officer corps, and blacks are overrepresented, but their rate of overrepresentation has declined each year from 2004 to 2007. New recruits are also disproportionately likely to come from the South, which is in line with the history of Southern military tradition.........
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-23-11 at 04:20 PM.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  6. #66
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    We're just going to have to agree to disagree on most of this. All I'm going to say is gay marriage is not an attack on any individual, or group, or culture. If you or your church don't support gay marriage, that's fine. Gay Marriage is not an imposition on anybody. You are free to not get a gay marriage and to try and prevent your children from doing so. I don't see why people against gay marriage are so intent on denying other people something that has little to do with them.

    You keep on saying "you" as if you think I am the embodiment of liberalism and liberals are this huge monolithic entity out to get you. Liberals consist of 20% of the American population. It seems to me that you know very few actual liberals or else you wouldn't be painting them with such a broad brush, and that some abstract monolithic "liberal culture" actually exists.

    At the end of the day, Conservatives still have drastically more votes than liberals simply because they constitute a much larger percentage of the population. All this fear-mongering about how liberals are out to get you is rather amusing to me considering we're still a drastically conservative country. It's amusing because conservatives still hold the most power.

    This is a prime example of what I have been refering to all along. You want to impose your cultural norms upon mine. I want protection from your culture. I want distance from your culture. I want a divorce from your culture. I want borders.
    On a personal level, I think hunting should be banned and firearms should be controlled. In no way does that mean I actually want to impose anything upon you, especially since it would probably impossible legislatively. On the other hand, denial of gay couple's right to marry has a concrete and material impact on the lives of those individuals. Just who exactly is imposing upon who? Conservatives dominate the population and as a result our government. The degree of your fear is inordinate.

    We're going broke. We are losing the capability to do so. The world isn't worth our blood.
    For the most part true. I was merely explaining the logic behind the international policeman way of thinking. I wasn't saying that I agreed with it totally.

    BTW, were you aware the majority of the makeup of the military......isn't from your side of the cultural divide?
    I am completely aware. Yet joining the military has always been a dream of mine. That's not going to stop me. At the end of the day you fight for you buddies and your comrades because your survival depends on the man on your right and left. Personal politics should have nothing to do with it. If I decided not to join the military just because it was dominated by conservatives that would make me rather narrow-minded, don't you think?

    It's time our son's and daughters come home to us. We need them. You've had them long enough.
    What are you talking about here? Who's "us" and who's "you." I have no sons or daughters (it would be rather troubling if I did.)
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-23-11 at 04:46 PM.

  7. #67
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Wouldn't that be the predominate ethnic group? That's kinda' the point here.
    Chinese is a nationality not an ethnicity. Like I said there are 56 ethnic groups in China. The Han people are the majority but they are one of 56.

  8. #68
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The Han are pretty homogeneous as an ethnicity...not much miscegenation or immigration in China. Certainly not as much as you'd find in most other large countries. Whether they're a "unified culture," as you put it, is an entirely separate matter. And I'd agree that they aren't, as it's impossible to find 1.3 billion people who are culturally similar to one another.
    But are the Han truly an ethnicity? They don't share the same language, the same culture, the same history, or most of the markers that most scholars use when they identify an ethnic group? In that respect, they certainly are NOT homogenous.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #69
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    There are 56 ethnic groups in China. Europe has 87 distinct ethnic groups. The Tlingit indian tribe of Alaska shares ethnic ancestory with the Koreans. Both of them are decendants of a distinct ethnic group the Mongol people. China is not an ethnicity. The Han people of China are an ethnic group.
    1. 56 officially RECOGNIZED groups -- though one of them lives in Taiwan, which is NOT part of China -- though there are at least two dozen groups that do NOT have official standing.
    2. Han, if you use the conventional definition of ethnicity, is not a single ethnic group, but rather an amalgamation of ethnic groups that have traditionally lived in lands controlled by Chinese dynasties. They have their own separate languages, cultures, histories, and in many cases, identities...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #70
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    But are the Han truly an ethnicity? They don't share the same language, the same culture, the same history, or most of the markers that most scholars use when they identify an ethnic group? In that respect, they certainly are NOT homogenous.
    One might even call them multicultural.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •