View Poll Results: Is it?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 73.17%
  • No

    10 24.39%
  • Bok Choy

    1 2.44%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107

Thread: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It's called balkinization. It can lead to bad consequences. This is an example. History is repleat with them.
    History is also replete with examples of thriving multicultural societies. Consider the Pax Romana or the Mongolian Empire. All it it takes is a little tolerance on the part of the majority.

    Come to think of it, the Han the you are holding up as such a shining example of unity are, in fact, the descendants of a successful multicultural society.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 01-23-11 at 01:21 PM.

  2. #22
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    History is also replete with examples of thriving multicultural societies. Consider the Pax Romana or the Mongolian Empire. All it it takes is a little tolerance on the part of the majority.
    You are confusing Imperialsm with multiculturalism here.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  3. #23
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It's called balkinization. It can lead to bad consequences. This is an example. History is repleat with them.

    What's happening in America bears little resemblance to Balkanization. America is not divided along geographical lines, at least not the splits we see here. I'm talking about neighborhoods, communities. Not that the South and Northeast and Pacific West are completely distinct from each other racially and politically and demographically.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-23-11 at 01:24 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    You are confusing Imperialsm with multiculturalism here.
    I disagree. The two are related, often concurrent concepts, but distinct. Imperialism will certainly give rise to a multicultural society, but it is not the only way one can arise.

    And likewise and imperialistic society will fail if there is an inability to adapt or resistance to multiculturalism.

  5. #25
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    With respect to multicuturalism vs. unity/assimilation,

    By a faction, I understand a number of citizens, whether amounting to a majority or a minority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adversed to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community.

    There are two methods of curing the mischiefs of faction: the one, by removing its causes; the other, by controlling its effects.

    There are again two methods of removing the causes of faction: the one, by destroying the liberty which is essential to its existence; the other, by giving to every citizen the same opinions, the same passions, and the same interests.

    It could never be more truly said than of the first remedy, that it was worse than the disease. Liberty is to faction what air is to fire, an aliment without which it instantly expires. But it could not be less folly to abolish liberty, which is essential to political life, because it nourishes faction, than it would be to wish the annihilation of air, which is essential to animal life, because it imparts to fire its destructive agency.

    The second expedient is as impracticable as the first would be unwise. As long as the reason of man continues fallible, and he is at liberty to exercise it, different opinions will be formed. As long as the connection subsists between his reason and his self-love, his opinions and his passions will have a reciprocal influence on each other; and the former will be objects to which the latter will attach themselves. The diversity in the faculties of men, from which the rights of property originate, is not less an insuperable obstacle to a uniformity of interests. The protection of these faculties is the first object of government. From the protection of different and unequal faculties of acquiring property, the possession of different degrees and kinds of property immediately results; and from the influence of these on the sentiments and views of the respective proprietors, ensues a division of the society into different interests and parties.
    -James Madison, Federalist #10
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-23-11 at 01:27 PM.

  6. #26
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    History is also replete with examples of thriving multicultural societies. Consider the Pax Romana or the Mongolian Empire. All it it takes is a little tolerance on the part of the majority.
    ......and it eventually led to their demise. That's what many of us are seeing happening now.


    Come to think of it, the Han the you are holding up as such a shining example of unity are, in fact, the descendants of a successful multicultural society.
    In point of fact, I find that assertion highly debatable. (which is why we're debating this now.)
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  7. #27
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    ......and it eventually led to their demise. That's what many of us are seeing happening now.




    In point of fact, I find that assertion highly debatable. (which is why we're debating this now.)
    The Pax Romana was the height of Roman imperial strength and expansion. What led to it's demise was the convergence of a number of historical, economic, and political factors. However I think there is a case to be made for the Mongols that multiculturalism ultimately failed them.

  8. #28
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    With respect to multicuturalism vs. unity/assimilation,



    -James Madison, Federalist #10
    You realize, of course, the original 13 colonies weren't multicultural in any sense. They were busy forging a single culture of largely western european origins. That would be the same traditional culture I happen to belong to now.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  9. #29
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    The Pax Romana was the height of Roman imperial strength and expansion. What led to it's demise was the convergence of a number of historical, economic, and political factors. However I think there is a case to be made for the Mongols that multiculturalism ultimately failed them.
    You can't overlook the fact that it's armies and large sections of it's empire were eventually peopled by germans, who eventually decided they owed no allegiance or taxes to rome.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  10. #30
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Chinese an ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You realize, of course, the original 13 colonies weren't multicultural in any sense. They were busy forging a single culture of largely western european origins. That would be the same traditional culture I happen to belong to now.
    The point is, to create a society where everyone thinks the same and has the same opinions and passions and ways of thinking is antithetical to freedom/liberty. In a society that's truly free and democratic, you're going to get differences of opinion and competition of ideas. We wouldn't be debating on this forum if it wasn't for the wide spectrum of opinion and thought. And i believe it is not a bad thing at all.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •