View Poll Results: legalize

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • legalize

    49 51.04%
  • illegalize

    43 44.79%
  • other

    4 4.17%
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 208

Thread: Should prostitution be legalized?

  1. #121
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Turning prostitution into a government controlled business isn't what our forefathers had in mind. It's a good thing that it won't happen.
    Actually, it is quite likely to happen in the next 50 years, if not the next 20 years. I belive that the only thing that has kept it from not happening is the fact that it would take a lawsuit to get the laws changed (although it is not likely to be changed through the courts anyway), and it would take a huge movement to get support for it. Many of those who would/do support prostitution legalization also support other issues that are more important to them at the moment. Given time, it is likely that prostitution legalization will eventually become the cause du jour.

    There are still many religious organizations out there that are opposed to prostitution (almost all of them, in fact). And many of the members of those religions see prostitution as immoral, and absolutely believe that they should be able regulate other people's morality, even when it doesn't actually affect those them or cause harm. And there are even other non-religious people who see this as a public health issue which should keep it illegal. Most are not weighing or considering both sides of the issue honestly. They believe that they are right, and that is it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #122
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, it is quite likely to happen in the next 50 years, if not the next 20 years. I belive that the only thing that has kept it from not happening is the fact that it would take a lawsuit to get the laws changed (although it is not likely to be changed through the courts anyway), and it would take a huge movement to get support for it. Many of those who would/do support prostitution legalization also support other issues that are more important to them at the moment. Given time, it is likely that prostitution legalization will eventually become the cause du jour.

    There are still many religious organizations out there that are opposed to prostitution (almost all of them, in fact). And many of the members of those religions see prostitution as immoral, and absolutely believe that they should be able regulate other people's morality, even when it doesn't actually affect those them or cause harm. And there are even other non-religious people who see this as a public health issue which should keep it illegal. Most are not weighing or considering both sides of the issue honestly. They believe that they are right, and that is it.
    Prostitution will never be legalized in this country. The electorate would never let it happen and candidates that support it would get destroyed.

  3. #123
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    What exactly is that fact sheet based off of? They make a lot of claims, but provide no actual proof for their claims.

    Plus, with actual legal protection and by getting this out in the open, instead of pretending that prostitution doesn't exist or that there is nothing we can do about it, it should be legalized and regulated, and law enforcement can concentrate on protecting the women in the industry. If we would stop demonizing sex as such a bad thing, especially suggesting that paying for it directly is somehow worse than paying for it indirectly.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #124
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Prostitution will never be legalized in this country. The electorate would never let it happen and candidates that support it would get destroyed.
    Times change. It is quite possible that prostitution could be legalized in this country during my lifetime. It most likely won't happen in the next 20 years, but it could certainly happen in the next 50.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-26-11 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    259

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Prostitution will never be legalized in this country. The electorate would never let it happen and candidates that support it would get destroyed.
    It will happen first in liberal states with referendums. When the older generation dies off Generation X and Generation Y are going to be the primary voters and they are incredibly socially liberal. Its not about whether people agree with it or not. I have friends who've visited prostitutes in Vegas and overseas in the military but I would never do it. Thats just my own person moral system though. Just because I don't agree with it my friends shouldn't be deemed criminals because they choose to pay for some "company" from time to time.

  6. #126
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Centrist View Post
    It will happen first in liberal states with referendums. When the older generation dies off Generation X and Generation Y are going to be the primary voters and they are incredibly socially liberal. Its not about whether people agree with it or not. I have friends who've visited prostitutes in Vegas and overseas in the military but I would never do it. Thats just my own person moral system though. Just because I don't agree with it my friends shouldn't be deemed criminals because they choose to pay for some "company" from time to time.
    I really don't believe the younger generations will support legalizing prostitution.

  7. #127
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Times change. It is quite possible that prostitution could be legalized in this country during my lifetime. It most likely won't happen in the next 20 years, but it could certainly happen in the next 50.
    I bet it doesn't happen.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-26-11 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    259

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    I really don't believe the younger generations will support legalizing prostitution.
    No one believed 20 years ago that marijuana would ever become legal.

  9. #129
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Centrist View Post
    No one believed 20 years ago that marijuana would ever become legal.
    Sure they did.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-26-11 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    259

    Re: Should prostitution be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Sure they did.
    California will eventually legalize brothels like Nevada has done. Hawaii probably will too. Maybe New York. But you're right, we will never see prostitution legalized in Alabama.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •