View Poll Results: What do you think of Wikileaks and Julian Assange?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martrys of Free speech and of transparency of the government

    26 27.96%
  • Cold blooded terrorists

    44 47.31%
  • Neutral

    6 6.45%
  • Other (explain)

    17 18.28%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 127

Thread: Wikileaks

  1. #81
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,274
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    What part of freedom of speech are you ignoring? The part that everyone is assured or the part that it is irrelevant to you because you feel like it in this case?
    There are limits to freedom of speech. I spent 6 years in the military, and from that, there are things I am not free to speak about due to it being classified(and boring...trust me, you ain't missing much not knowing about the classified stuff I know).
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #82
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    What part of freedom of speech are you ignoring? The part that everyone is assured or the part that it is irrelevant to you because you feel like it in this case?
    The part that permits you to break the law and get a free pass.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The government is currently investigating this, and like I said before, the facts that are publicly available lead me to believe that wikileaks had a much greater role than it pretends. We'll see.
    What facts are those? I am unaware of any.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The nature of conspiracy means that anyone who conspires to break the law is culpable. I doubt that Assange was the only one who was involved.
    The way wikileaks is setup in order to close down wikileaks you would have to prove that everyone in wikileaks was in on it directly. What are the chances of that?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #84
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There are limits to freedom of speech. I spent 6 years in the military, and from that, there are things I am not free to speak about due to it being classified(and boring...trust me, you ain't missing much not knowing about the classified stuff I know).
    You voluntarily limited your free speech. There is a difference between that and publishing classified information with which you never agreed to keep secret.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #85
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,274
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You voluntarily limited your free speech. There is a difference between that and publishing classified information with which you never agreed to keep secret.
    The laws of this country say that it is illegal to reveal classified information except under certain circumstances. Assange does not seem to agree, but laws are an important thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #86
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What facts are those? I am unaware of any.
    Wikileaks had systems in place to facilitate the secure transfer of this information. I don't think he just emailed it to them from his yahoo account.

    Then, of course, there's this

    In his exchanges with Lamo, Manning said he had sent files to a "white haired aussie," whom he later identified as Julian Assange, the peripatetic founder of Wikileaks.
    Messages from alleged leaker Bradley Manning portray him as despondent soldier

    The way wikileaks is setup in order to close down wikileaks you would have to prove that everyone in wikileaks was in on it directly. What are the chances of that?
    I'm not saying that everyone at wikileaks will go to jail because of that one leak. I'm saying that if everyone at wikileaks who got involved in this ends up going to jail, there won't be many people who will be eager to continue breaking the law.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The laws of this country say that it is illegal to reveal classified information except under certain circumstances. Assange does not seem to agree, but laws are an important thing.
    Yes it is illegal for people to reveal classified information. That law however applies to people like manning. Who was the one that revealed the information originally. Not Assaunge or Wikileaks.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #88
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,274
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Yes it is illegal for people to reveal classified information. That law however applies to people like manning. Who was the one that revealed the information originally. Not Assaunge or Wikileaks.
    That would depend on whether Assange is considered part of the press. And we have now come back full circle.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #89
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Wikileaks

    rofl, Lamo is Adrian Lamo - the hacker that turned Manning in. The hacker does not and never has worked for WIkileaks.

    Wired.com: Lamo/Manning Wikileaks chat logs contain no unpublished references to Assange or private servers (Updated) - Boing Boing

    The logs of messages between Manning and Adrian Lamo, provided to The Washington Post by Lamo, reveal a young man who was at once privy to government material of the highest sensitivity and confronting a personal crisis of the highest order. While stationed in Iraq, he decided to turn to Lamo, a former hacker whom he did not know but who would ultimately report him to authorities out of concern that lives could be at risk.

    "I'm an army intelligence analyst, deployed to eastern baghdad, pending discharge for 'adjustment disorder,' " Manning said by way of introducing himself to Lamo, who had recently been profiled on the Web site of Wired magazine.
    There *IS* evidence of a deep throat encounter where he physically handed stuff to a guy described as Assange.

    Right, your argument is flawed. No one from Wikileaks will go to jail with anything having to do with Manning.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  10. #90
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    rofl, Lamo is Adrian Lamo - the hacker that turned Manning in. The hacker does not and never has worked for WIkileaks.

    Wired.com: Lamo/Manning Wikileaks chat logs contain no unpublished references to Assange or private servers (Updated) - Boing Boing


    There *IS* evidence of a deep throat encounter where he physically handed stuff to a guy described as Assange.

    Right, your argument is flawed. No one from Wikileaks will go to jail with anything having to do with Manning.
    I'm not saying that Lamo worked for Wikileaks. I'm saying that courtesy of the Lamo conversations, we know that Manning and Assange had contacts. As I said, I would wager that the contacts went beyond simply handing something over, which could lead to criminal charges.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •