View Poll Results: What do you think of Wikileaks and Julian Assange?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martrys of Free speech and of transparency of the government

    26 27.96%
  • Cold blooded terrorists

    44 47.31%
  • Neutral

    6 6.45%
  • Other (explain)

    17 18.28%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 127

Thread: Wikileaks

  1. #61
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't support them releasing state secrets willy-nilly. I do support their latest endeavor...targetting those individuals and corporations who are evading Federal income tax and storing their booty in Swiss bank accounts. Bring it!
    I hope one of the targets of that idiot call in a cleaner on him



  2. #62
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    I think transparency is a damned good thing. I also think that the people that hate Wikileaks currently have no clue what the true definition of journalism is. Finally, it baffles me that across the isle folks hate this outfit without so much as lifting a finger to find out exactly what they do and what their goals are.

    Democracy 101.
    If 1069 thought you were running a despotic team of mods and encouraged a disgruntled TOT to hack into the forum and pass her all the mod's private information for publication, would that be journalism?

    Manning should be the one who suffers - he leaked the documents originally. He is the traitor.
    He should certainly suffer, I just think his possible co-conspirators should be punished as well.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #63
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If 1069 thought you were running a despotic team of mods and encouraged a disgruntled TOT to hack into the forum and pass her all the mod's private information for publication, would that be journalism?
    The persons "hacking" were not affiliated with the persons leaking. Manning alone downloaded and submitted the leaks.

    But, if there is proof there was a relationship between hackers and leakers, then no - that would not be journalism. For now, it is conjecture with no facts to base it on besides a gut feeling. Your argument is like saying Sarah Palin is to blame for the shooting in AZ because he listened to her. It holds no water.

    He should certainly suffer, I just think his possible co-conspirators should be punished as well.
    I would agree if there was evidence of co-conspiracy.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  4. #64
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    The persons "hacking" were not affiliated with the persons leaking. Manning alone downloaded and submitted the leaks.

    But, if there is proof there was a relationship between hackers and leakers, then no - that would not be journalism. For now, it is conjecture with no facts to base it on besides a gut feeling. Your argument is like saying Sarah Palin is to blame for the shooting in AZ because he listened to her. It holds no water.

    I would agree if there was evidence of co-conspiracy.
    The relationship between Wikileaks and Manning was far more cooperative than the relationship between Palin and Loughner, namely in that the former corresponded while the latter didn't. Beyond that, I would wager that once all the details of Manning's actions come out in the open, we'll see that Wikileaks was involved in the leaking process to a degree that would support conspiracy charges.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #65
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The relationship between Wikileaks and Manning was far more cooperative than the relationship between Palin and Loughner, namely in that the former corresponded while the latter didn't. Beyond that, I would wager that once all the details of Manning's actions come out in the open, we'll see that Wikileaks was involved in the leaking process to a degree that would support conspiracy charges.
    I have read nothing about wikileaks replying directly to manning - it went through a 3rd party. The 3rd party turned Manning in.

    How much you wanna wager? Stike that - I am broke, but we will see.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  6. #66
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    The persons "hacking" were not affiliated with the persons leaking. Manning alone downloaded and submitted the leaks.

    But, if there is proof there was a relationship between hackers and leakers, then no - that would not be journalism. For now, it is conjecture with no facts to base it on besides a gut feeling. Your argument is like saying Sarah Palin is to blame for the shooting in AZ because he listened to her. It holds no water.


    I would agree if there was evidence of co-conspiracy.
    One of the key things with the whole WIkiLeaks is whether or not WIkiLeaks and Assange qualify as journalists. It is certainly a point up for debate, but I question if just owning a website is enough to make you a journalist. How exactly do you decide who is and is not a journalist, and that question is a very important one that we are going to have to answer in the near future.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,859
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    One of the key things with the whole WIkiLeaks is whether or not WIkiLeaks and Assange qualify as journalists. It is certainly a point up for debate, but I question if just owning a website is enough to make you a journalist. How exactly do you decide who is and is not a journalist, and that question is a very important one that we are going to have to answer in the near future.
    Apparently the general journalism community has agreed that they are a journlistic outfit. Wikileaks has recieved quite a few awards for the work they have done....

    AwardsAssange won the 2008 Economist Index on Censorship Award.[7] He won the 2009 Amnesty International UK Media Award (New Media),[121] for exposing extrajudicial assassinations in Kenya by distributing and publicizing the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR)'s investigation The Cry of Blood Extra Judicial Killings and Disappearances.[122][123] Accepting the award, Assange said, "It is a reflection of the courage and strength of Kenyan civil society that this injustice was documented."[124]

    In 2010 Assange was awarded the Sam Adams Award,[125][126] Readers' Choice in Time magazine's Person of the Year poll,[13] and runner-up for Person of the Year.,[127] and an informal poll of editors at Postmedia Network named him the top newsmaker for the year after six out of 10 felt Assange had "affected profoundly how information is seen and delivered".[128]

    Le Monde named him person of the year with fifty six percent of the votes in their online poll. Le Monde is one of the five publications to cooperate with Wikileaks' publication of the recent document leaking.[129][130][131]
    wikileaks
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Text messageing at 60 mph, cpwill ???
    Please try again.
    Morgan Tsvangirai is the prime minister of Zimbabwe, and the leader of the democratic opposition to Robert Mugabe. He has survived several attempts on his life, his wife was killed in an 'accident', and he was a hunted man for years. Finally in the last series of elections, the fraud as abusive and the international outcry enough that Mugabe had to bring him into government; though he himself retained control over the 'hard' functions (police, military, courts, etc). Only said international attention kept Tsvangirai alive.

    Or, rather, Morgan Tsvangirai was the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe. Apparently he had a private conversation with US diplomats telling them that while he personally appreciated the sanctions on Mugabe because they put pressure on the regime to liberalize, he couldn't publicly support them because Mugabe had successfully managed to paint them as "anti-Zimbabwe" rather than "anti-Mugabe". and Wikileaks apparently felt that enabling Mugabe to take out his opposition was beneficial to "openness". He has since been arrested for "treason"; and no one is precisely sure where he is being held. According to the Zimbabwe Mail "Wikileas may have just signed Morgan Tsvangirai's death warrant."

    Meanwhile, the Taliban openly admits that it mines the Wikileaks site, looking for the names of locals who have helped ISAF to bring in schools, medical clinics, or secure their villages.... so that it can murder them and their families in the night.

    REAL freeidom fighters suffer and die so that Assange can bask in the limelight of publicity and accept the applause and largess of the oh-so-edgy-and-like-totally-anti-system-dude crowd.
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-22-11 at 06:26 PM.

  9. #69
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Apparently the general journalism community has agreed that they are a journlistic outfit. Wikileaks has recieved quite a few awards for the work they have done....



    wikileaks
    It's not up to journalists to make laws in this country. The determination will be made first by the courts whether they are journalists.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #70
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,022

    Re: Wikileaks

    The architects and sheep of Wikileaks are simply irresponsible pieces of **** that cause more friction between governments and peoples than would otherwise exist. The fact that other pieces of **** around the globe pretend that they stand for some rediculous struggle for "speech freedom" are likewise irresponsible and serve to encourage the friction.

    Bureaucracy, mistrust, and uneasy collaborations between governments exist. Released documents that remind our governments of this and reveal private discussions underneath the public handshakes and nods only force these same governments to have to explain the unnecessary and to cnduct needless damage control to continue what are already touchy subjects and deals.

    Only in the Western world will you find a people so willing to destroy everything that has been built in order to prove that their rights allow them to do absolutely anything and everything.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •