View Poll Results: Have you changed any of your stances/positions?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have - explain which ones

    24 58.54%
  • No, I have not

    11 26.83%
  • I would NEVER admit that I've changed any of my political stances

    0 0%
  • Other

    6 14.63%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

  1. #21
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Since posting on Debate Politics, have you changed your position(s) on any issues?

    If so, which ones?
    I know my opinoin over the years have changed on some serious issues: gay-relationships (not just marriage), politics, our country's role as 'world leader' and so on.

    But I've added to or expanded my view far more than it's "changed completely" - I've definitely become more aware of various important issues and take less things for granted - I'm more likely to read articles and do research and question the norm and the 'facts' that are presented in articles and such.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #22
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    The only two that I can think of are

    legalization of marijuana - was completely against it being legalized for recreational purposes, never had an issue with medical use; not completely for it, but also wouldn't fight to keep laws against it in place, as long as the restrictions on additives, purchase and use are a combination of those for alcohol and cigarettes

    polygamy - was for it; now leaning toward keeping it not legally recognized but finding a way to give adult spouses in the situation some legal kinship recognition
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #23
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Not since posting here, but over the years of posting in forums, I've gone from being economically liberal to being economically conservative, and from being a supporter of Bush to believing that the guy was an utter moron. I believe that this forum drastically impacted my view of bush, particularly on the torture issue.
    I underwent a similarly significant shift in my political views thanks to forum activity, but it occurred before I found DP.


    TED,
    Blames Arcana XV for that.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #24
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Well over the past 5 years of posting on political boards, I've softened my stance on some issue and change on others. I used to be 100% against drug legalization and now I could go either way. I was 100% supportive of Iraq and Afghanistan and now I'm also on the fence. I've change my mind about American bases and power extended around the world and acting as the worlds policeman. I've also adopted a more libertarian view as well as support more Constitutionality being injected in government and laws to PROVE where and when these acts are constitutional or not. I've softened on gay unions (still am anti-marriage as in using the term "marriage") but feel that if gays want to **** up their lives and get hitched --- they should be free to screw things up like any other straight couple as well as the benefits.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #25
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Well over the past 5 years of posting on political boards, I've softened my stance on some issue and change on others. I used to be 100% against drug legalization and now I could go either way. I was 100% supportive of Iraq and Afghanistan and now I'm also on the fence. I've change my mind about American bases and power extended around the world and acting as the worlds policeman. I've also adopted a more libertarian view as well as support more Constitutionality being injected in government and laws to PROVE where and when these acts are constitutional or not. I've softened on gay unions (still am anti-marriage as in using the term "marriage") but feel that if gays want to **** up their lives and get hitched --- they should be free to screw things up like any other straight couple as well as the benefits.
    It sounds like you've become more libertarian (without becoming a full-blown libertarian).
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Absolutely. A lot of my positions have become either more "tuned" or more centrist. There are two positions that I have completely changed. When I first came to DP, I supported repealing the 2nd Amendment. Now, I fully support gun ownership and am against gun bans. I was completely against drug legalization. Now, I am for it with certain parameters. There are other positions that have changes somewhat, but those are the big ones that I can think of.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #27
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    On Gay's serving openly in the military I am now for it. That was a big change for me.

    I don't think I am very conservative either, probably more moderate due to being more socially liberal than most I would consider conservative. In the end I am still a fiscal conservative who leans liberal on some big social issues but not all like gay marriage.

    I have also figured out I am more of a John Adams type politically than Jefferson.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-20-11 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I have also figured out I am more of a John Adams type politically than Jefferson.
    That's a fascinating insight. I've always seen myself as more of a John Adams type, politically, too.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I have changed my opinion on gay marriage, healthcare, taxes, and a couple other things.
    Changing of opinion reflects ones intelligence and maturity.
    We are in a state of constant flux.
    Extremism is the problem, no communism, not Islam, but extremism.
    Now I am facing extremism in the VA...those people are over stressed..
    A product of this mental sickness (extremism) is "zero tolerance".
    Another is a gun ban.
    Conservatives - read this....no one here wants a "gun ban".
    I want a restoration of the repealed gun regulations and a repeal or major overhaul of "privacy laws".

  10. #30
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Have you changed any of your positions after posting here?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That's a fascinating insight. I've always seen myself as more of a John Adams type, politically, too.
    It took me awhile, but some of Jefferson's thinking while brilliant, is pretty unrealistic in the long term. John Adams on the other hand had a better handle on the long term affects of people on and in government.

    I also think the Civil War was a defining moment for Adams type of view. We need a strong central government in my opinion.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-20-11 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •