View Poll Results: Which of these things would improve education in the US?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer school days

    14 16.47%
  • Longer school years

    31 36.47%
  • Better pay for teachers

    29 34.12%
  • More charter schools

    27 31.76%
  • More public vouchers for private schools

    34 40.00%
  • Weakening teachers' unions

    42 49.41%
  • More funding

    31 36.47%
  • Reallocation of funding (e.g. on a state level instead of on a district level)

    27 31.76%
  • Firing teachers who fail to perform to the standards the school board expects

    50 58.82%
  • More online education, replacing some brick-and-mortar schools

    17 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 249

Thread: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    One third of all high schoolers don't graduate. Appalling....I thought it was more of an inner-city problem, but this stat is from PEW and is nationwide. http://www.pew-partnership.org/pdf/dropout_overview.pdf And, of course, this doesn't mean that the 2/3 got even a marginal education...

    You will never convince me that the very jakes who created a failing educational system in our country will be the ones to solve it. I believed that too long vis a vis the Congress of the United States of America.
    There is not a, "failing educational system in our country".
    There IS a, "failing societal and parental system in our country", though.

    As usual, people lay the blame in the wrong place. I assume it is PC to do so, and that is a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #52
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    from Maggie D




    If you profess to know anything about the actual system of education in America you will know that
    1- there is no single American system of education
    2- there are tens of thousands of different local systems of education
    3- their quality varies widely and significantly
    4- nations with a national curriculum like Japan provide a much more accurate measurement of what students learn on the standardized tests because
    5- the curriculum in those nations is perfectly dovetailed into the material on the standardized test
    6- in America we are frequently testing children on material they never covered in a classroom

    And about the jobs part of your comment.... actually a national curriculum would SAVE the taxpayers lots of money because it would eliminate duplication of the same jobs now being done in tens ofthousands of different school systems in the field of curriculum development, testing and other areas.
    I disagree though,

    1. This will decrease the amount of competition in our schools. Everyone will be learning and teaching the same thing.
    2. Designing a single curriculum that is appropriate for all students in the country is extremely difficult. You are going to leave some students behind, or slow some students down.

  3. #53
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You don't have one thing! I can vote for.

    Vouchers.
    Vouchers are on the list...
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #54
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    For all of you who say "get the parents involved more," I can't help but play the cynic and say that this seems like an impractical solution for national education.

    Please don't think my position is that families shouldn't be involved with the education of their children - they should.

    However, this is a place to debate politics, which are the policies of the government. And, quite frankly, the government is incapable of forcing parents to be involved in the education of children, and, what's more, it will never have the capability of forcing parents to get involved in their children's education.

    Also, I think that most parents want to be involved in their kids' education. However, parents are people too and they have their own limitations. Highest on that list is financial - they have to balance their ability to get involved with their ability to earn a paycheck. This is especially the case with the low income earners who are targeted the most with this criticism.

    So purely as an act of policy, I think the most pragmatic things to consider are those things we could do to enhance the education of children despite parental involvement, since the government has no control over parental involvement with regards to their children's education.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  5. #55
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    the problem is with the students and their parents. if the kids don't give a rat's ass, the best schools in the world aren't going to make a difference.

    "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"

    "you can send a kid to school, but you can't make him think"

    GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

    give a world class chef a turd and two pieces of bread and no matter what he does with it, you are going to end up with a **** sandwich.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #56
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    For all of you who say "get the parents involved more," I can't help but play the cynic and say that this seems like an impractical solution for national education.
    The entire purpose of the welfare schools is to provide an education for children whose parents can't or won't provide for it themselves. We don't need to have policy discussions about what to do with children whose parents are involved.

  7. #57
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What makes you think that if 1/3 do not graduate, that is not the way it should be? What makes you think that an additional 1/3 can graduate in an assembly line system that often bears no relationship to what is needed to truly educate children? What makes you think that it was any different at any other time in our history?
    I am surely not going to argue THAT point...The fact that 1/3 of students don't graduate high school represents a failure of our educational system, in my opinion. As to historically:

    During the past 25 years, growing wage differentials between high school graduates and dropouts increased the economic incentives to graduate high school. The real wages of high school dropouts have declined since the early 1970s while those of more skilled workers have risen sharply.1 Heckman, Lochner, and Todd (2008) show that in recent decades, the internal rate of return to graduating high school compared to dropping out has increased dramatically and is now over 50 percent. Therefore, it is surprising and disturbing that, at a time when the premium for skills has increased and the return to graduating high school has risen, the high school dropout rate in America is increasing. America is becoming a polarised society. Proportionately more American youth are going to college and graduating than ever before. At the same time, proportionately more are failing to complete high school.
    Educated in America: College graduates and high school dropouts | vox - Research-based policy analysis and commentary from leading economists
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #58
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,112

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    For all of you who say "get the parents involved more," I can't help but play the cynic and say that this seems like an impractical solution for national education.

    Please don't think my position is that families shouldn't be involved with the education of their children - they should.

    However, this is a place to debate politics, which are the policies of the government. And, quite frankly, the government is incapable of forcing parents to be involved in the education of children, and, what's more, it will never have the capability of forcing parents to get involved in their children's education.

    Also, I think that most parents want to be involved in their kids' education. However, parents are people too and they have their own limitations. Highest on that list is financial - they have to balance their ability to get involved with their ability to earn a paycheck. This is especially the case with the low income earners who are targeted the most with this criticism.

    So purely as an act of policy, I think the most pragmatic things to consider are those things we could do to enhance the education of children despite parental involvement, since the government has no control over parental involvement with regards to their children's education.
    the answer to that is simple; financial incentives. once the parents have skin in the game, they will get involved.

  9. #59
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    There is not a, "failing educational system in our country".
    There IS a, "failing societal and parental system in our country", though.

    As usual, people lay the blame in the wrong place. I assume it is PC to do so, and that is a shame.
    Is it not failing when students who have no intention of learning, who disrupt every single moment of time in the classroom, are kept in the schools because the schools are paid by attendance?

    Is it not failing when students are promoted when they can't even read?

    Is it not failing when students can't even speak ENGLISH....using ebonics slang instead of proper grammar...and STILL they are promoted?

    Is it not failing when inner city girls' main objective in life is to get pregnant and get on the dole?

    It's failing all right. But nobody cares -- especially about those inner city kids whose only option, when they don't graduate, is to pimp themselves, pimp others or sell dope.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #60
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    What do you guys think about the idea of online education, to reduce the need for so many teachers and brick-and-mortar schools? It would be easy to produce lessons that could be reused for several years at no additional cost, and one teacher could easily handle classes of 100+ students since there wouldn't be an issue with class disruption or being stuck in the back of a crowded auditorium. This will free up a lot more taxpayer money to be invested in other aspects of education, and it will free students from the stranglehold of their school district so that students will no longer be doomed by their geography. Furthermore, it would allow students to work at their own pace, so the smart kids aren't bored and the remedial kids aren't forgotten.

    I realize that online education is probably not quite good enough yet to compete with the best schools in the country...but I can't help but think that it would be a MAJOR improvement for the millions of kids trapped in inner-city schools where teachers don't teach and students fear for their safety, or poor rural schools where the curriculum is severely limited by lack of funding and lack of interest.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-17-11 at 08:23 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •