View Poll Results: Which of these things would improve education in the US?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer school days

    14 16.47%
  • Longer school years

    31 36.47%
  • Better pay for teachers

    29 34.12%
  • More charter schools

    27 31.76%
  • More public vouchers for private schools

    34 40.00%
  • Weakening teachers' unions

    42 49.41%
  • More funding

    31 36.47%
  • Reallocation of funding (e.g. on a state level instead of on a district level)

    27 31.76%
  • Firing teachers who fail to perform to the standards the school board expects

    50 58.82%
  • More online education, replacing some brick-and-mortar schools

    17 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 249

Thread: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

  1. #41
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You missed the most important two IF you want to catch up with other nations on international standardized test scores:

    1- a national educational curriculum where the entire USA learns the same things from the same books and materials and takes the same tests which measure what is actually learned in ever classroom in America. Until you do that, you are NOT measuring what is actually taught in classrooms or learned in classrooms since we have thousands upon thousands of different school systems devoid of uniformity in curriculum which many other nations have notably Japan.
    Why is this a solution? This is just another diversion by teachers' unions, a la Haymarket. Others come up with incentives, vouchers, focus on family, etc., etc. A former union rep comes up with let's spend years implementing uniformity in curriculum. Wow. Wonder how many jobs THAT study'd conger up.

    2- American education is a factory system where each raw material progresses down an assembly line at the same pace. That must be done away with. Teach everyone the concept of one plus one is two. Those that master it move on. Those who do not go to another teacher for another approach until they do master it before moving on. Do that with everything you teach and some kids will graduate in eight year, some in twelve years, and some in even longer periods of time. It will cost Xdollars to educate some, 1.5Xdollars to educate others and 3X dollars to educate some.
    More jobs! Love it.

    Subjective brag: My niece is a senior in high school. Last year, Texas Christian showed up with other colleges to recruit students. Monica talked to the TSU rep and asked, "How can I get a meaningful scholarship at TCU?" The rep told her the story of a student that year who got a $100K scholarship...had a 32 on her SAT...lots of community volunteer experience...killer essays...part-time job in a leadership role. Monica had gotten a 31 on her SAT. She retook and got a 32. She began volunteering in her hometown...drafted essays over and over again...she already had a part-time job in a leadership role as a soccer ref (having won awards for her participation). She applied to TSU last spring. She got a full ride $130K scholarship.

    Aside from bragging ;-) what does this tell us? Well, where did her motivation come from? Her parents. Lots of positive reinforcement. A solid belief in the value of a good education. Parental involvement in the school lives of their children. The list could go on. But the moral is, if parents don't give a damn, neither will their children.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #42
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,355

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Subjective brag: My niece is a senior in high school. Last year, Texas Christian showed up with other colleges to recruit students. Monica talked to the TSU rep and asked, "How can I get a meaningful scholarship at TCU?" The rep told her the story of a student that year who got a $100K scholarship...had a 32 on her SAT...lots of community volunteer experience...killer essays...part-time job in a leadership role. Monica had gotten a 31 on her SAT. She retook and got a 32. She began volunteering in her hometown...drafted essays over and over again...she already had a part-time job in a leadership role as a soccer ref (having won awards for her participation). She applied to TSU last spring. She got a full ride $130K scholarship.

    Aside from bragging ;-) what does this tell us? Well, where did her motivation come from? Her parents. Lots of positive reinforcement. A solid belief in the value of a good education. Parental involvement in the school lives of their children. The list could go on. But the moral is, if parents don't give a damn, neither will their children.
    What a great story! And your last sentence is SO right.


  3. #43
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Thanks, and I agree wholehearedly.. .
    Solution - take the children from the so-called parents, and have the state bring them up, correctly.
    With proper supervision, from the people, I think this can be done.
    Taxes would increase, of course, on the short term, and we all know who will vote NO, on this socialistic idea..
    I even thing this is a crazy idea, but we , and I mean WE, do have a problem...
    Anyone have a better idea???
    You're right... this idea is crazy! Parents who don't help their kids in school have their children removed from them??? Not to mention that kids in foster homes and/or being raised by the state would surely not receive any better attention. SO many issues with this 'solution'. (and of course, the primary reason being: How dare the government decide such a thing in my personal life! Sure, I think parents need to be more involved - (maybe a tax-break to parents with students who perform better in school?) but to take children from parents due to grades is just absurd)


    The obvious solution, which wasn't included in the poll, is to privatize the school system. Let them compete among each other. Let their grade results be their selling point. Open it up to capitalism.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    You should see the performance of home school coops in Texas. Few of the parents have teaching certificates, yet their kids out perform all other schools. Why? Parents are heavily involved, the classes are small and everyone is accountable. That's why I would trend away from the large, prison like schools, and towards very small schools with less than 20 students per grade. It works. It works very well.
    The problem with most home schools is that students are not required to be tested using the same tests as regular public high school students. The kids that usually take the tests are the ones who plan to head off to college, the ones who you'd expect to have a higher degree of learning anyhow. There are tons of kids who may not be learning a damn thing, but who never get tested and therefore the statistics are seriously skewed.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    haymarket was a teachers union rep. the disconnect here is that you are assuming he means better results for the students.
    Actually my actual job was a teacher of children. A small part of my day was acting as the union rep for the teachers in my building. 1/6th to be precise if you are keeping count of such thing.

    And much of my interaction with the administration was advocating for better school programs which would help the students and the teachers together. I always viewed it as a familysituation where we all rise or fall together.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    from Maggie D


    Why is this a solution? This is just another diversion by teachers' unions, a la Haymarket. Others come up with incentives, vouchers, focus on family, etc., etc. A former union rep comes up with let's spend years implementing uniformity in curriculum. Wow. Wonder how many jobs THAT study'd conger up.
    If you profess to know anything about the actual system of education in America you will know that
    1- there is no single American system of education
    2- there are tens of thousands of different local systems of education
    3- their quality varies widely and significantly
    4- nations with a national curriculum like Japan provide a much more accurate measurement of what students learn on the standardized tests because
    5- the curriculum in those nations is perfectly dovetailed into the material on the standardized test
    6- in America we are frequently testing children on material they never covered in a classroom

    And about the jobs part of your comment.... actually a national curriculum would SAVE the taxpayers lots of money because it would eliminate duplication of the same jobs now being done in tens ofthousands of different school systems in the field of curriculum development, testing and other areas.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #47
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    If you profess to know anything about the actual system of education in America you will know that
    1- there is no single American system of education
    2- there are tens of thousands of different local systems of education
    3- their quality varies widely and significantly
    4- nations with a national curriculum like Japan provide a much more accurate measurement of what students learn on the standardized tests because
    5- the curriculum in those nations is perfectly dovetailed into the material on the standardized test
    6- in America we are frequently testing children on material they never covered in a classroom

    And about the jobs part of your comment.... actually a national curriculum would SAVE the taxpayers lots of money because it would eliminate duplication of the same jobs now being done in tens ofthousands of different school systems in the field of curriculum development, testing and other areas.
    One third of all high schoolers don't graduate. Appalling....I thought it was more of an inner-city problem, but this stat is from PEW and is nationwide. http://www.pew-partnership.org/pdf/dropout_overview.pdf And, of course, this doesn't mean that the 2/3 got even a marginal education...

    You will never convince me that the very jakes who created a failing educational system in our country will be the ones to solve it. I believed that too long vis a vis the Congress of the United States of America.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    One third of all high schoolers don't graduate. Appalling....I thought it was more of an inner-city problem, but this stat is from PEW and is nationwide. http://www.pew-partnership.org/pdf/dropout_overview.pdf And, of course, this doesn't mean that the 2/3 got even a marginal education...

    You will never convince me that the very jakes who created a failing educational system in our country will be the ones to solve it. I believed that too long vis a vis the Congress of the United States of America.
    What makes you think that if 1/3 do not graduate, that is not the way it should be? What makes you think that an additional 1/3 can graduate in an assembly line system that often bears no relationship to what is needed to truly educate children? What makes you think that it was any different at any other time in our history?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #49
    Professor
    Alfons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-31-17 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Where is the option "more conservative traditional education"?
    Rom 6:23:For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,812

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    There are lots of proposals for education reform in the US, not all of which can work together. What do you think are the most important things that can be done to improve education?
    None of those.

    Make parents more involved and responsible for student achievement.
    Deport the millions of illegal immigrants with parents that only have a first grade Mexican education.
    Actually force students who Fail a grade, stay behind.
    Teachers mark accordingly and stop with Administration's money over quality threats.
    Force mandatory English in schools and mandate speakers of other languages start at year one reading level and not toss them into their age grade level.

    There are many things that will improve public education, and most pf them have nothing to do with the "politics".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •