View Poll Results: Which of these things would improve education in the US?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer school days

    14 16.47%
  • Longer school years

    31 36.47%
  • Better pay for teachers

    29 34.12%
  • More charter schools

    27 31.76%
  • More public vouchers for private schools

    34 40.00%
  • Weakening teachers' unions

    42 49.41%
  • More funding

    31 36.47%
  • Reallocation of funding (e.g. on a state level instead of on a district level)

    27 31.76%
  • Firing teachers who fail to perform to the standards the school board expects

    50 58.82%
  • More online education, replacing some brick-and-mortar schools

    17 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 249

Thread: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

  1. #201
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    OK, but that's true of ANY job. Pissing off your boss is generally not conducive to your continued employment; I don't see any reason teachers need to be a special exception to that.



    At the expense of students.
    Run away... yep. Guess that is you M.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #202
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You don't. But standarized tests are easy to grade and give politicians amunition.
    I don't understand why the No Child Left Behind Act is still in place.... it seems liberals don't like it, and a lot of conservatives don't like the fed being in state schools, so get rid of it alreayd

  3. #203
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    hold parents responsible for the ****ty performance of their kids. If mommy and daddy don't think education is important and make little johnny and suzy do their homework and pay attention, the best schools in the world won't help.
    I won't argue with this, but how do we actually hold the parents responsible and affectively? I can't see the government solving the problem of parental irresponsibility...

  4. #204
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I don't understand why the No Child Left Behind Act is still in place.... it seems liberals don't like it, and a lot of conservatives don't like the fed being in state schools, so get rid of it alreayd
    Liberals are just fine with it, but get angry because of underfunding and at least pretend to be angry about the unintended consequences of the act, but also because it was finalized by the Bush administration. Conservatives are generally fine with the federal government being involved in schools, the problem is that they want the public schools held accountable at the same time as they want a more open system. It is not being overturned. It will be tweaked and is already being renamed. It's staying put.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #205
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    Number one os break the unions, along with public sector unions.
    I don't think breaking unions is going to make a difference in the inner city schools, because "not giving a sh*t" is a deep problem that affects all levels of the education system. Nobody has faith. I think inner city schools really don't attract the best teachers, and it's probably a hard job to like and to deal with a class full of kids who don't give a sh*t, and an administration that doesn't give a sh*t about the kids... It's just a pay check to some.

    I think the social setting itself is one of the big problems. Those schools don't create a positive learning environment, and something needs to be done so the children feel encouraged to learn and do better than their parents. Just breaking unions is not going to help with that... it's so simple of an answer to a complex problem.

    I think we shouldn't only be asking ourselves; what should we expect of the teachers... but we should also ask ourselves; what should we expect of the students, and how do we get the students to care, to study, and want to make a better life for themselves.

  6. #206
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Liberals are just fine with it, but get angry because of underfunding and at least pretend to be angry about the unintended consequences of the act, but also because it was finalized by the Bush administration. Conservatives are generally fine with the federal government being involved in schools, the problem is that they want the public schools held accountable at the same time as they want a more open system. It is not being overturned. It will be tweaked and is already being renamed. It's staying put.
    Off topic... why do you think the Patriot Act hasn't been repealed yet? The GOP is all for the constitution now, and Obama's Admin has been in the news for constitutional issues with expanding and keeping provisions of the Act in place... Why is the tp not advocating repeal of that or the No Child Left Behind Act? It's state's rights, like you say...

    I am just curious what you say..

  7. #207
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Patriot Act: 1) Growing consensus internally about its usefulness in combating current and future threats 2) Sometimes Government enjoys having new powers and responsibilities (other times they do not: see early years of our intelligence agencies and congressional oversight).

    Tea Party on Patriot Act: Economic issues take importance, and most if not all Tea Party groups like to stay on message. Expanding risks a splintering of the movement (see Tocqueville, the NRA, and NAACP's earlier past about near-schism regarding NAACP Black/White relations and its funding sources). Splintering movements mean less strength, and less strength means difficulty in getting political change.

    Tea Party on No Child Left Behind: Above & perhaps acceptance of no removal of Dept. of Education or NCLB. Accountability, vouchers, and merit pay (as vague as the slogans can be) are seen as more realistic or accepted than many other discussions. Further, it can't hurt to have near universal opinion siding with "standards" and "accountability"-just have the Devil be in the details. If there is one thing that is for certain..most people in this country think the education system in the US is in trouble, the problem is that no one can really agree upon why. No Child Left Behind satisfied the 20 year demand for "standards" and "accountability" from both parties. It's a political reality now. Tweaking it one direction or another is now the game.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 02-07-11 at 02:11 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #208
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,786

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    from Ed Gein

    Number one os break the unions, along with public sector unions.
    Hating unions is a firm plank in the far right wing agenda. They will shamelessly use any issue, any platform, and any excuse to put forward the idea that we need to return to the labor arrangements of the Gilded Age when workers were little more than fodder for the machine.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #209
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I don't understand why the No Child Left Behind Act is still in place.... it seems liberals don't like it, and a lot of conservatives don't like the fed being in state schools, so get rid of it alreayd
    I agree. It was stupid from it's conception.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Liberals are just fine with it, but get angry because of underfunding and at least pretend to be angry about the unintended consequences of the act, but also because it was finalized by the Bush administration. Conservatives are generally fine with the federal government being involved in schools, the problem is that they want the public schools held accountable at the same time as they want a more open system. It is not being overturned. It will be tweaked and is already being renamed. It's staying put.
    It isn't just underfunding that is wrong with NCLB. It is stupid on its face. So any staying put with it is still a poor idea.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •