View Poll Results: Which of these things would improve education in the US?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer school days

    14 16.47%
  • Longer school years

    31 36.47%
  • Better pay for teachers

    29 34.12%
  • More charter schools

    27 31.76%
  • More public vouchers for private schools

    34 40.00%
  • Weakening teachers' unions

    42 49.41%
  • More funding

    31 36.47%
  • Reallocation of funding (e.g. on a state level instead of on a district level)

    27 31.76%
  • Firing teachers who fail to perform to the standards the school board expects

    50 58.82%
  • More online education, replacing some brick-and-mortar schools

    17 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 249

Thread: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    power has nothing to do with it. the union chose not to help him. as usual, you have no idea what you are talking about
    There is a good reason why I do not know the details of this incident.
    YOU, who brought it up, failed to provide the relevant information to make the determination that it was the unions fault.
    Blame your self for your own failings and shortcomings.

    And if you cannot see the inherent contradiction in your own post when it is plainly show to you, you really have problems in the area of comprehension.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #172
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by DontDoIt View Post
    Of course there are going to be schools with low dropout rates, never said there wasn't. Although it's off topic, I'm sure privates are much much lower than publics. Why do you think there is an increased need for special education teachers? ...take a guess.
    Why don't you all bestow your insight and wisdom upon us Oh Learned One?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #173
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    All unions serve their members. Students are not memebers, just a auto unions are not for the car buyer. However, this doesn't make either anti students or car buyers.
    Cars are not a necessity, nor is there an intrinsic monopoly as there is in education. If I don't want to buy an overpriced union-made car, I'll either buy one somewhere else or I'll just do without a car. Neither of those options are possible/acceptable in education.

    You're right that teachers' unions have their own members' interests in mind, and not the students. It doesn't make them "anti-students," but it leads them to advocate policies that will benefit their members regardless of whom it hurts (like the students). Our schools would be better off if these archaic institutions died a quick death.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #174
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Cars are not a necessity, nor is there an intrinsic monopoly as there is in education. If I don't want to buy an overpriced union-made car, I'll either buy one somewhere else or I'll just do without a car. Neither of those options are possible/acceptable in education.

    You're right that teachers' unions have their own members' interests in mind, and not the students. It doesn't make them "anti-students," but it leads them to advocate policies that will benefit their members regardless of whom it hurts (like the students). Our schools would be better off if these archaic institutions died a quick death.
    Sure they are. Home school. By all means, pay for private school. And frankly, I see no evidence unions hurt students. We don't have to keep poor teachers. You can still get rid of them. All you have to do is document and make the case. I fail to see why so much energy is spent fighting the wrong fights when it comes to education.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #175
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sure they are. Home school. By all means, pay for private school.
    Those options are nice for wealthy yuppies, but not always possible for poor minorities living in inner cities and attending failing schools.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    And frankly, I see no evidence unions hurt students. We don't have to keep poor teachers. You can still get rid of them. All you have to do is document and make the case. I fail to see why so much energy is spent fighting the wrong fights when it comes to education.
    In many cities/states, the unions can and will fight tooth and nail against every dismissal of every teacher, no matter how much documentation there is or how valid the reason for the termination. It was like that here in DC prior to Michelle Rhee's tenure. It's still nearly impossible in New York City, despite having a progressive superintendent dedicated to education reform.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #176
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,890

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    I offer some proof of my facts you offer none. Forgive me if I don't take your word for it. It's so handy to just refuse to believe evidence when it disproves your point. You're not sorry you called me idiotic but you should be sorry for your narrowminded childish behavior. It seems the best you can do is stick your fingers in your ears and say, " la, la, la, not listening!"
    It really is pretty silly watching the debate between you two, and for one of you to keep being so rude, and not offering actual counter arguments, is certainly telling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,890

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Thanks for proving we don't need unions. Pass this info along to haymarket.
    Unions ARE necessary unless you want the poor working conditions of the Industrial Revolution to happen again...
    I think that you actually want them to have less power and be smaller and more regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #178
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    There is a good reason why I do not know the details of this incident.
    YOU, who brought it up, failed to provide the relevant information to make the determination that it was the unions fault.
    Blame your self for your own failings and shortcomings.

    And if you cannot see the inherent contradiction in your own post when it is plainly show to you, you really have problems in the area of comprehension.
    there was no contradiction. you just don't know WTF you are talking about and jumped to an incorrect conclusion...as usual
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #179
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Unions ARE necessary unless you want the poor working conditions of the Industrial Revolution to happen again...
    I think that you actually want them to have less power and be smaller and more regulated.
    I taught in public schools for 11 years. was FORCED to be a union member for 11 years. the union never did one damn thing to help me. all it did was take their damn monthly due from my paycheck in order to finance a political agenda with which I disagreed.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #180
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I taught in public schools for 11 years. was FORCED to be a union member for 11 years. the union never did one damn thing to help me. all it did was take their damn monthly due from my paycheck in order to finance a political agenda with which I disagreed.
    it's a shame you belonged to a bad union. many people appreciate what their does for them.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •