View Poll Results: Which of these things would improve education in the US?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer school days

    14 16.47%
  • Longer school years

    31 36.47%
  • Better pay for teachers

    29 34.12%
  • More charter schools

    27 31.76%
  • More public vouchers for private schools

    34 40.00%
  • Weakening teachers' unions

    42 49.41%
  • More funding

    31 36.47%
  • Reallocation of funding (e.g. on a state level instead of on a district level)

    27 31.76%
  • Firing teachers who fail to perform to the standards the school board expects

    50 58.82%
  • More online education, replacing some brick-and-mortar schools

    17 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 249

Thread: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    Here is some information I found interesting that relates to this topic.

    Private Schools Versus Public Schools | Private Vs Public
    "Private schools are allowed to expel students and can choose not to allow certain students admittance. In fact, many private schools are difficult to get into. Public schools allow all students, regardless of religious creed, academic abilities or any other factor. "
    If you are so worried about this then take them out when comparing. I assure you that what you are talking about isn't the average.

    Public Schools vs. Private Schools: New Study Says There is No Difference
    "Many people assume that students enrolled in private schools perform better academically than do students attending public schools. The Center on Education Policy (CEP), however, disagrees. According to a new CEP study released this week, private school students and public school students perform equally on achievement tests in math, reading, science, and history."
    Achievement tests mean nothing. Need something not using such idiotic measuring tools to mean anything.

    Sorry, but NAEP is a division of the U.S. Department of Education. The idea that you would think going to the U.S Department of Education for information on how their institution weighs against the private sector makes no sense to me. You wouldn't go to one company to see how they do in their industry so why are you so comfortable doing it with the government? Sorry, if I think its idiotic.

  2. #162
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    The US Constitution does not grant the power of regulating and or funding education!
    We need to separate the federal/national government from the educational system.
    Educational decisions should be made at the state, local, and or personal level but, in the end the power should be with the parents.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  3. #163
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    I offer some proof of my facts you offer none. Forgive me if I don't take your word for it. It's so handy to just refuse to believe evidence when it disproves your point. You're not sorry you called me idiotic but you should be sorry for your narrowminded childish behavior. It seems the best you can do is stick your fingers in your ears and say, " la, la, la, not listening!"
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  4. #164
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Causal relationship error. Any prefroming better is more likely linked to a the student population and not unions.
    Thanks for proving we don't need unions. Pass this info along to haymarket.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #165
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    All unions serve their members. Students are not memebers, just a auto unions are not for the car buyer. However, this doesn't make either anti students or car buyers.
    You don't care about the education of our children, you just want unions to exist. Do you even have children?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You don't care about the education of our children, you just want unions to exist. Do you even have children?
    Wow, what a silly response. Let me repeat, I've belonged to any union. Ever. And I have a son and a daughter. My daughter is in her twenties, going to school in Southern Illinois. My son is just now 21. He's going to a communiy college and working full time. I attended their classes while they were in school, at all levels, to see what was going on.

    Now, none of that matters at all to what I said, and you didn't give any serious or logic response to what I did say, so I'll repeat it to see if you can give a logical and coherent response:

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    All unions serve their members. Students are not memebers, just a auto unions are not for the car buyer. However, this doesn't make either anti students or car buyers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Thanks for proving we don't need unions. Pass this info along to haymarket.
    Just as silly as your other response.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Given the state of education in our country, it's not too surprising that the best answer isn't an option in the poll. We need to change our curriculum from top to bottom, rolling back the liberal reforms of the 1920s forward. Elementary schools should teach:

    Basic mathematics through pre-algebra
    Elementary Greek (Attic, and perhaps Koine)
    Elementary Latin (Ancient and Medieval)
    English and one other foreign language, such as French or German
    Athletics
    Basic composition and critical thinking (identifying premises and conclusions, main ideas, telling the difference between an argument and an explanation, knowing the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning, some knowledge of the scientific method, etc.)

    No need to teach Science, Philosophy, Classics, or Literature. Bottom line at this level: give students the building blocks.

    Middle and High School should teach (emphasized in this order):

    1) The Classics (along with continued instruction in either Latin or Greek, with opportunity for students to study both)
    2) Philosophy and Logic
    3) Mathematics
    4) Athletics
    5) History
    6) Science
    7) Other literature (Shakespeare, Dante, Tolstoy, Rumi, The Grail Romances, etc.--less emphasis on American authors though some should be taught)

    We should add back in what those subjects are really about. Currently, we don't allow much in the way of reference to religion, sex, politics, or drugs in the literature we teach. We don't teach Philosophy because many of the positions with which it is important to be familiar have clear theological, religious, and ethical implications. This sort of censorship was and has been very foolish--we've taken out of the curriculum three-fourths of what it means to be human and what education is about.

    Bottom line at this level: show students how to build a mind and why it is important to do so. Show how each subject relates to the others. To graduate high school, students ought to demonstrate basic familiarity with the the main body of each subject and relate it to the others. A high school graduate ought to know, for instance, that both language and mathematics are related in that they are systems of symbols. They ought to be able to discuss intelligently the basic positions about how those systems relate to the world. They ought to be able to place ideas in the context of history. A high school graduate ought to be able to solve complex mathematical problems involving trigonometry and differential calculus. A high school graduate ought to be able to do simple formal proofs in logic. A high school graduate ought to have read and mastered some of the great works of literature.

    Proficiency in either Latin or Greek ought to be required for admittance to College (both for elite universities), as well as basic thinking skills illustrated above, and proficiency in mathematics and some form of athletics (with obvious, common-sense exceptions in the case of people who are handicapped--though anyone fit for College ought to be able to learn some competitive game, like chess).

    College curricula ought to require at least 9 hours of philosophy (3 hours of logic, 3 hours survey of contemporary philosophy, 3 hours elective) with a 4.0 required in that coursework. A College graduate ought to be fluent in at least three languages (English, Latin or Greek, and one other language, ancient or modern). A College graduate ought to have completed at least 3 hours each in trigonometry and calculus, with at least a 3.5 required in that coursework. A graduate ought to be conversant with the major discoveries of science, and be able to intelligently discuss their relationship to our body of knowledge as a whole. That would probably also take at least 9 hours of coursework, and a 3.5 in that coursework. A graduate ought to have translated at least one of the major Classical works in either Latin or Greek (i.e. one of Plato's dialogues, a few of the books of Herodotus' Historia, at least a few books of Virgil's Anaeid, etc.).

    The only thing I'd change in Graduate and Post Graduate studies as they currently stand is that someone seeking an advanced degree in Humanities, Literature, Philosophy, or related fields should be required to complete at least an undergraduate minor in either physics or biology. Someone seeking an advanced degree in one of the Sciences should likewise be required to complete at least an undergraduate minor in a major area of the Humanities (philosophy, literature, religious studies, etc.).
    While we're busy rolling back education to the 1920s, perhaps we should do the same with medicine, economics (since the practices of the '20s worked out so well in the next decade), sociology (including race relations), and perhaps science and technology as well. They don't make 'em like the Model A any more, you know.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #169
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Wow, what a silly response. Let me repeat, I've belonged to any union. Ever. And I have a son and a daughter. My daughter is in her twenties, going to school in Southern Illinois. My son is just now 21. He's going to a communiy college and working full time. I attended their classes while they were in school, at all levels, to see what was going on.

    Now, none of that matters at all to what I said, and you didn't give any serious or logic response to what I did say, so I'll repeat it to see if you can give a logical and coherent response:
    Just another reason for me not to like you, you're a Saluki. Go Leathernecks

    "It is a sad day in society when people adjust the facts to fit their beliefs, rather than adjust their beliefs to fit the facts."
    Libertarian/Conservative/Christian Beliefs

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,882

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Thanks for proving we don't need unions. Pass this info along to haymarket.
    Is it your habit to make silly posts completely and totally misconstruing the quote that you included with it from another poster.

    yeah , I know - dumb question.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •