View Poll Results: Which of these things would improve education in the US?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer school days

    14 16.47%
  • Longer school years

    31 36.47%
  • Better pay for teachers

    29 34.12%
  • More charter schools

    27 31.76%
  • More public vouchers for private schools

    34 40.00%
  • Weakening teachers' unions

    42 49.41%
  • More funding

    31 36.47%
  • Reallocation of funding (e.g. on a state level instead of on a district level)

    27 31.76%
  • Firing teachers who fail to perform to the standards the school board expects

    50 58.82%
  • More online education, replacing some brick-and-mortar schools

    17 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 249

Thread: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

  1. #151
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is because they are paying for the service. If the parent gets something for nothing or at least they get that impression the parent will most likely not be involved in it. All in all, that is how people work and that is not different in education.
    That's too simplistic. They choose to pay for it. It wasn't payment enforced on them so they cared for it more. Other parents simply won't care regardless of the system. All careing is not equal. But, regardless, the point is that it is this concern that is paramount.



    In a way they do teach differently. With smaller class sizes and the pressure from the parents the teachers and schools will take greater care in the individual learning of each student. With a mass of students and no obvious incentive for the parent the public schools have little chance of matching the success.
    Not really. That too depends on the school. And being able to be selective, not numbers forced on you, is again something that would vanish the second there is noo public school to take up the slack. Keep in mind, we don't have an over abundance of quality teachers out there waiting for an openning. And it costs to have teachers, even at low wages.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    You know nothing of my understanding of education.
    How very defensive.

    The fact remains that private schools can be exclusive when public schools cannot.
    The fact that some private schools are exclusive does not necessarily imply what you said.

    As I said earlier, parents who take the time to apply and pay for private school are going to be more involved in their child's education. Comparing private school results to public school results is not a fair comparison.
    It would seem to me what makes people involved and what doesn't is in play.

    Also, there is no guarantee that a private school education is a good education. It varies from state to state but private schools don't have to abide by the same standards as public schools.
    State to state? Try to school to school.

    Standards mean nothing in the large scale of things.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Still waiting for anyone to supply the data which shows that private schools do a better job at educating children than public schools do?

    How about you Henrin? Got any authoritative data for us from objective sources that back up your belief in private schools?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #154
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,058

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How very defensive
    LOL! Wait, so you are OFFENSIVE to a person and then turn around and call them defensive when they tell you you are wrong? uhh-yeah... whatever.

    State to state? Try to school to school.

    Standards mean nothing in the large scale of things
    Sure they do. Standards only mean nothing when they don't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #155
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    1- you attack teachers unions and fail to document any of your charges against them but think they are too powerful
    2- so your point is that teachers unions are not powerful enough because they could not help your buddy

    can you please make up your mind?
    can you please provide some documentation for your charges about teachers and unions?
    power has nothing to do with it. the union chose not to help him. as usual, you have no idea what you are talking about
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Sure they do. Standards only mean nothing when they don't work.
    Government standards mean nothing. In house standards on the other hand are most likely going to be followed or at least attempted to be followed. Government standards in government instutions or in general are going to be loopholed to death as no one gives a flying **** about them and in truth don't much like the idea of being forced to do something they don't much care to do.

  7. #157
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    power has nothing to do with it. the union chose not to help him. as usual, you have no idea what you are talking about
    I'm sorry your friend had a bad time however this is one instance and does not represent everyone's experience.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  8. #158
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How very defensive.



    The fact that some private schools are exclusive does not necessarily imply what you said.



    It would seem to me what makes people involved and what doesn't is in play.



    State to state? Try to school to school.

    Standards mean nothing in the large scale of things.
    You tried to imply that I don't know what I am talking about. I pointed out that you don't know what I know. I didn't imply anything. I stated very clearly that private schools can be exclusive and public schools cannot. I also listed a few of the many ways in which public and private schools are different making comparison unfair.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  9. #159
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Here is some information I found interesting that relates to this topic.

    Private Schools Versus Public Schools | Private Vs Public
    "Private schools are allowed to expel students and can choose not to allow certain students admittance. In fact, many private schools are difficult to get into. Public schools allow all students, regardless of religious creed, academic abilities or any other factor. "

    Public Schools vs. Private Schools: New Study Says There is No Difference
    "Many people assume that students enrolled in private schools perform better academically than do students attending public schools. The Center on Education Policy (CEP), however, disagrees. According to a new CEP study released this week, private school students and public school students perform equally on achievement tests in math, reading, science, and history."

    Percentage distribution of students ages 5 through 17 attending kindergarten through 12th grade, by school type or participation in homeschooling and selected child, parent, and household characteristics: 1999, 2003, and 2007

    NAEP Studies - 2006461: Comparing Private Schools and Public Schools Using Hierarchical Linear Modeling
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  10. #160
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Re: Which of these things would improve education in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    from Dontdoit on his criticism of the public schools




    There are many school districts with an extremely low dropout rate. There are many school districts with very high standards. There are countless people in many school districts who have no trouble meeting the requirements. And why is the increase in special education teachers any indication of anything other than that we need more special education teachers?
    Of course there are going to be schools with low dropout rates, never said there wasn't. Although it's off topic, I'm sure privates are much much lower than publics. Why do you think there is an increased need for special education teachers? ...take a guess.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •