View Poll Results: Should the definition of minor be changed federally?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, raise it

    9 34.62%
  • Yes, lower it

    3 11.54%
  • No, keep it the same

    11 42.31%
  • Other - Specify

    3 11.54%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    no, but I do make them go out onto the front porch, face east and scream, "Frenchmen are cheese eating surrender monkeys" but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    Oh, lá lá! Touché!


    But, really. Humour is often the first sign of someone willing to be openminded about their beliefs, so might I inquire a bit about your previous post?

    I can agree that the public education in the States is atrocious, but I'm not entirely sure it has to do with a political leaning (bleeding heart liberal douchebags, or backwater conservative hillbillies, what have you). In my experience (and my experience is, mind you, limited), I'd have given the reason for American education being so poor as a result of the political gridlock in Washington between the two parties. Neither party will allow the other a victory by pushing their agenda, blah blah, and thus you've got an underfunded, out-dated education system.

    What, in that, points to the education being too liberal?

    Or, perhaps more interestingly, which subjects, areas and specific points of debate do you feel the schools take too liberal a stance on?

  2. #22
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    Oh, lá lá! Touché!


    But, really. Humour is often the first sign of someone willing to be openminded about their beliefs, so might I inquire a bit about your previous post?

    I can agree that the public education in the States is atrocious, but I'm not entirely sure it has to do with a political leaning (bleeding heart liberal douchebags, or backwater conservative hillbillies, what have you). In my experience (and my experience is, mind you, limited), I'd have given the reason for American education being so poor as a result of the political gridlock in Washington between the two parties. Neither party will allow the other a victory by pushing their agenda, blah blah, and thus you've got an underfunded, out-dated education system.

    What, in that, points to the education being too liberal?

    Or, perhaps more interestingly, which subjects, areas and specific points of debate do you feel the schools take too liberal a stance on?
    In my particular case, my two younger sons are adopted, they were developmentally delayed because for the oldest, mommy was a crackhead who didn't even know who baby daddy was and for the youngest, mommy had an IQ of around 68 and daddy was in prison for a killing he committed during a drug deal gone bad. I felt that they were not getting the attention/instruction they needed in public school. they were basically just being passed along whether they learned anything or not and falling farther and farther behind. So we decided to home school them. My wife has a degree in Accounting and I have a degree in Chemistry with a strong background in physics and mathematics. She quit her job and stays home to teach them and I cover science with them in the evenings. On weekends I make them work with me in the yard or on one of the many home improvement/repair projects we have going on. I teach them to use hand/power tools and basic carpentry skills. We also have a 1992 chevy pickup that we are restoring that my 15 y/o wants to drive when he gets his license.

    Public schools, in general, spend too much of the calendar year of crap like field trips to theater and other assorted and sundry politically correct BS. I was a public school teacher for 11 years and I constantly had students miss class because they were on a field trip with the english dept. or the history dept or the drama dept.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #23
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    no, but I do make them go out onto the front porch, face east and scream, "Frenchmen are cheese eating surrender monkeys" but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #24
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    As far as the OP goes, I'd probably raise it to 20 across the board simply because it makes the most sense from a math perspective.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    In my particular case, my two younger sons are adopted, they were developmentally delayed because for the oldest, mommy was a crackhead who didn't even know who baby daddy was and for the youngest, mommy had an IQ of around 68 and daddy was in prison for a killing he committed during a drug deal gone bad. I felt that they were not getting the attention/instruction they needed in public school. they were basically just being passed along whether they learned anything or not and falling farther and farther behind. So we decided to home school them. My wife has a degree in Accounting and I have a degree in Chemistry with a strong background in physics and mathematics. She quit her job and stays home to teach them and I cover science with them in the evenings. On weekends I make them work with me in the yard or on one of the many home improvement/repair projects we have going on. I teach them to use hand/power tools and basic carpentry skills. We also have a 1992 chevy pickup that we are restoring that my 15 y/o wants to drive when he gets his license.

    Public schools, in general, spend too much of the calendar year of crap like field trips to theater and other assorted and sundry politically correct BS. I was a public school teacher for 11 years and I constantly had students miss class because they were on a field trip with the english dept. or the history dept or the drama dept.
    Well, label me impressed, then. I actually find myself agreeing entirely with what you've done -- I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better alternative for that particular situation. However, what I don't understand is the correlation between useless excursions (field trips) and poor teaching venues, and the bleeding-heart liberal douchebags. I don't see why bleeding-heart liberal douchebags would be any more likely to send their students on useless excursions, nor why they'd be less likely to pay attention to the individual student's needs. I suppose I could make the connexion between most excursions coming from the English and Social Science faculties, but from the limited interaction we've had thus far, I'm inclined to think that you're: A, fully aware of the existence of useless Science faculty excursions, and B, cognisant of the paramount importance of the studies of history and language. Thus, your reason isn't apparent to me -- so please explain it.

  6. #26
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    Well, label me impressed, then. I actually find myself agreeing entirely with what you've done -- I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better alternative for that particular situation. However, what I don't understand is the correlation between useless excursions (field trips) and poor teaching venues, and the bleeding-heart liberal douchebags. I don't see why bleeding-heart liberal douchebags would be any more likely to send their students on useless excursions, nor why they'd be less likely to pay attention to the individual student's needs. I suppose I could make the connexion between most excursions coming from the English and Social Science faculties, but from the limited interaction we've had thus far, I'm inclined to think that you're: A, fully aware of the existence of useless Science faculty excursions, and B, cognisant of the paramount importance of the studies of history and language. Thus, your reason isn't apparent to me -- so please explain it.

    from my limited personal experience (I only taught at 2 different schools, 3 if you count the semester of student teaching) I have found that math and science teachers tend to be more conservative with the english, history, drama, social sciences, etc teachers tend to be more liberal. The school board members are, for the most part former teachers and they tend to be those with liberal leanings, thus their focus is more on the "liberal artsy" stuff and less on the basics math, science, reading.

    were I not an educated person, I wouldn't give a damn whether the school taught my kids the correct usage of condoms, or that homosexuality was a valid alternative lifestyle, etc. I could teach them that at home. what I could not teach them at home is science, math, reading, etc.

    spend the school day teaching the kids academics and let their parents teach them all the life lesson/values stuff at home.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    from my limited personal experience (I only taught at 2 different schools, 3 if you count the semester of student teaching) I have found that math and science teachers tend to be more conservative with the english, history, drama, social sciences, etc teachers tend to be more liberal. The school board members are, for the most part former teachers and they tend to be those with liberal leanings, thus their focus is more on the "liberal artsy" stuff and less on the basics math, science, reading.

    were I not an educated person, I wouldn't give a damn whether the school taught my kids the correct usage of condoms, or that homosexuality was a valid alternative lifestyle, etc. I could teach them that at home. what I could not teach them at home is science, math, reading, etc.

    spend the school day teaching the kids academics and let their parents teach them all the life lesson/values stuff at home.
    Well, again, label me impressed. I agree with your assessment yet again -- I can't find a single flaw in your rationale for homeschooling the kids. Still, I have to wonder, in such a math-science oriented home -- how do you allow them to experience the drama, art, etc., venues of schooling that, for many people (myself included) were rather useless, but for some take them down a path that leads them to find their "calling" in life, so to speak? How do you decide which histories and social sciences, or which foreign languages to teach them? Don't get me wrong -- you seem like an educated man, and your wife seems an educated woman, and I've no doubt you've the knowledge to teach them plenty of those subjects -- but say they wanted to learn Russian history, or Latin American history, or learn German (assuming you don't speak German) as their foreign language? Out of curiosity, how do you deal with that?

  8. #28
    Professor
    Alfons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-31-17 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Yes, the age of adulthood must be raise up because after liberal "education" the children are five times more stupid as thirty years ago.
    Rom 6:23:For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

  9. #29
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    Well, again, label me impressed. I agree with your assessment yet again -- I can't find a single flaw in your rationale for homeschooling the kids. Still, I have to wonder, in such a math-science oriented home -- how do you allow them to experience the drama, art, etc., venues of schooling that, for many people (myself included) were rather useless, but for some take them down a path that leads them to find their "calling" in life, so to speak? How do you decide which histories and social sciences, or which foreign languages to teach them? Don't get me wrong -- you seem like an educated man, and your wife seems an educated woman, and I've no doubt you've the knowledge to teach them plenty of those subjects -- but say they wanted to learn Russian history, or Latin American history, or learn German (assuming you don't speak German) as their foreign language? Out of curiosity, how do you deal with that?
    we attend plays and go to museums on the weekends, not during the school week. we basically mirror the public school as far as the history and social sciences go. my brother still teaches public school and each year he lets me "borrow" a set of the current textbooks. I have access to rosetta stone through the national guard so, currently, both kids are learning spanish. my daughter is getting her degree in Russian, so if they ever have an interest there she can help. Also, one of my good friend's wife is from Russia so we get a lot of the cultural stuff from talking/visiting with them.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Is it time we change the federal age of adulthood?

    I was partially home-schooled, I would say I received a quality education.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •