View Poll Results: Will They Mend Their Ways

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 5.56%
  • No

    17 94.44%
  • MSM reporters will, their opinion shows will not

    0 0%
  • CNN yes, MSNBC no

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

  1. #1
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    this seemed like a better alternative than the "will sarah palin quit talking about limited government now" thread...

    the media (soooo hesitant about the Ft Hood shooter) seems to have egg on it's face after it (and the local sheriff) immediately leapt to attempt to blame the Tuscon shooting on 'right wing (especially sarah palins') rhetoric'. and apparently they were completely unfounded and incorrect in doing so.

    not for the first time either; lest we forget the IRS - pilot and the Times Square bomber.

    however, this time The One, Their Own President Himself Who Is Sort Of Like A God has publicly remonstrated them for it (however mildly).

    SO, the question is, will the media and their lefter-wing commentators have learned their lesson? or the next time a nutcase decides to kill a bunch of people, will the MSM and Krugman ask first whether or not the killer had an arabic-sounding name (in which case we need to urge caution in assigning motive) and then ask how they can pin it on those with whom they disagree?
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-13-11 at 06:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    this seemed like a better alternative than the "will sarah palin quit talking about limited government now" thread...

    the media (soooo hesitant about the Ft Hood shooter) seems to have egg on it's face after it (and the local sheriff) immediately leapt to attempt to blame the Tuscon shooting on 'right wing (especially sarah palins') rhetoric'. and apparently they were completely unfounded and incorrect in doing so.

    not for the first time either; lest we forget the IRS - pilot and the Times Square bomber.

    however, this time The One, Their Own President Himself Who Is Sort Of Like A God has publicly remonstrated them for it (however mildly).

    SO, the question is, will the media and their lefter-wing commentators have learned their lesson? or the next time a nutcase decides to kill a bunch of people, will the MSM and Krugman ask first whether or not the killer had an arabic-sounding name (in which case we need to urge caution in assigning motive) and then ask how they can pin it on those with whom they disagree?
    I have no idea why people bother to raise these sorts of points. FOX and its right-wing commentators are hardly paragons of restraint.

    Quite frankly, even if there no casual relationship between our polarized politics and this shooting, trying to reverse popular belief in such a connection would be unpopular move. Nobody can effectively hold the media responsible, so the media has no motivation to change.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 01-13-11 at 10:38 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  3. #3
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    I have no idea why people bother to raise these sorts of points. FOX and its right-wing commentators are hardly paragons of restraint.
    the only incident i can think of in this context is when the administration tried to set up a sting by firing one of their own for an edited tape; hoping that Glenn Beck would jump on it, and instead he said that he thought the woman in question was likely being mistreated.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the only incident i can think of in this context is when the administration tried to set up a sting by firing one of their own for an edited tape; hoping that Glenn Beck would jump on it, and instead he said that he thought the woman in question was likely being mistreated.
    What context? Right-wing commentators anticipated death panels in health care reform and no such panels exist. That's the most obvious example that comes to mind, but there is a long line stretching back decades.

    The only way the media learns its lesson is if their profits are hurt. In the case of FOX commentators, the idea that death panels exist is popular among their audience, so whether such panels exist or not does not matter; true or false, promoting the theory can only improve their ratings.

    For the centrist-left media, it's the same situation. Pretty much everyone except conservatives are weary of the partisan-charged rhetoric, because nobody believes in politicians or political parties the way conservatives seem to believe in their politicians or political parties. The media can't "learn a lesson" from "jumping the gun" because their core audience desires the narrative they're spinning to be true.

    Believing that polarized rhetoric stimulated the shooter is more appealing than believing no connection exists between the two, because the former plays into people's resentments and the latter into vaguer categories.

    Pretty much the worst case scenario for the media is this; people don't ultimately believe there is a strong connection, but they won't be convinced that such an idea was totally implausible. In that case, as far as its reputation/ratings goes, the centrist-left media breaks even.

    Fact is, they'll probably do better than that.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 01-13-11 at 10:51 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #5
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    The media will not change.Anytime a Muslims commits murder or mass murder one side will rush to claim its terrorism. When a democrat or some other group libs care about is shot the liberal media will point the finger at conservative talk show hosts. And when more tragedies like this happens the anti-2nd amendment scum in the media will try to milk it to push unconstitutional laws while only giving token mention or no mention to Americans who have used guns to stop criminals.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-14-11 at 01:38 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    This is another example of the stupid use of the term "the media" like it is all one big, homogeneous thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is another example of the stupid use of the term "the media" like it is all one big, homogeneous thing.
    There are trends.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,541

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is another example of the stupid use of the term "the media" like it is all one big, homogeneous thing.
    Yes, the "media" is not one thing. Some media outlets are actually quite honest, while the rest are slimy, greedy, nosy little bast***s who don't have a clue on what they're doing. However, the slimy side of the media won't change their attitudes, just like they didn't for 2 decades
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  9. #9
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    Hell no, the media won't change. After Killeen, they warned us not to jump to conclusions just because the shooter was Muslim, and shouted Allah's name as he fired. Like, what could something like that possibly have to do with Islamo Terrorism?

  10. #10
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Will Tuscon Change The Media's Jump-to-Assumptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is another example of the stupid use of the term "the media" like it is all one big, homogeneous thing.
    "The Media" = strawman


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •