View Poll Results: Were the Nazis...

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Predominantly Right Wing

    123 50.20%
  • Predominantly Left Wing

    75 30.61%
  • Largely in the center

    18 7.35%
  • Don't know/unsure/no opinion/none of the above

    29 11.84%
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 411

Thread: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

  1. #71
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,888
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Both fascist and communist states promote a corporatist economy, where the merger of political and economic influence occurs and politicians nationalize all industries.
    Nazi's did so for the advancement of the state, commies did so to put the means of production in the hands of the working class, while the means were similar, the ends were different.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #72
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Both fascist and communist states promote a corporatist economy, where the merger of political and economic influence occurs and politicians nationalize all industries.
    Not true. Communists were not corporatist in the slightest. By getting rid of private property, corporations didn't even exist in soviet states. They implemented a command economy where the state is in sole control over all economic resources.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Nazi's did so for the advancement of the state, commies did so to put the means of production in the hands of the working class, while the means were similar, the ends were different.
    As I recall the Soviet Union ended up with one large poor class, a relatively small privileged class of citizens, and an insanely small class of incredibly well off statesman.

    It did very little to get rid of class barriers lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Not true. Communists were not corporatist in the slightest. By getting rid of private property, corporations didn't even exist in soviet states. They implemented a command economy where the state is in sole control over all economic resources.
    Well, what is a corporation but a state without the power of law? By making the state supreme instead of corporations you have much the same situation except the controlling group has no restraint at all, while corporations had to at least answer somewhat to the state, even if those corporations were totalitarian by nature.

    Not a dig at Marxism, a dig at 20th Century communism.
    Last edited by SirPwn4lot; 01-13-11 at 12:44 AM.

  4. #74
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,888
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    As I recall the Soviet Union ended up with one large poor class, a relatively small privileged class of citizens, and an insanely small class of incredibly well off statesman.

    It did very little to get rid of class barriers lol.
    I wasn't commenting on the practical appliction, just the reasoning behind it.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #75
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Nazi's did so for the advancement of the state, commies did so to put the means of production in the hands of the working class, while the means were similar, the ends were different.
    First of all, the intentions are irrelevant. Both are totalitarian regimes with corporarist systems. Though the intended ends (you really meant the ends were different, the means were similar) were different, the systems in place were really very similar.

    And I don't see the communist leaders of history as protecting the working class.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the Nazi party platform was built basically (as near as I can read it) on three things:
    1. German National Unity
    2. Jews are Subhuman
    3. Left-wing economics.

    excerpts from the Nazi Party Platform circa 1920 admittedly edited to the economic portions to highlight the point under discussion:



    Fascism at it's time was a pretty thoroughly left-wing movement. which is why it was originally admired by leftists in other nations (including the US). even the more disgusting aspects (such as eugenics) had their mirrors in the Progressive elements abroad and in the US.
    Not even close. My links demonstrate clearly that it was anything but left-wing. It was closer to right wing, but more of an entitiy onto itself.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    First of all, the intentions are irrelevant. Both are totalitarian regimes with corporarist systems. Though the intended ends (you really meant the ends were different, the means were similar) were different, the systems in place were really very similar.

    And I don't see the communist leaders of history as protecting the working class.
    You are incorrect. There has never been a communist government/society. The all are, ultimately fascist dictatorships. A TRUE communist society would never operate in the way we have seen.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #78
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt
    First of all, the intentions are irrelevant.
    Oh so are we talking about Nazism vs. Communism as an ideology or are we talking about the economic and political structures of both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union? Because AFAIK this thread was about the former and not the latter...
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  9. #79
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Not true. Communists were not corporatist in the slightest. By getting rid of private property, corporations didn't even exist in soviet states. They implemented a command economy where the state is in sole control over all economic resources.
    You don't think the Nazi authorities were in sole control over their nation's economic resources? First, the Nazis issued a 25-Point-Programme in 1920 that explicitely promoted a planned (command) economy. Later, when the Nazis first came to power, the economy was what some historians call, "military Keynesianism." At that time, there was a microscopic sliver of free trade and free association. Once Hitler decided to push forward with war, the economy almost immediately became a planned one.

  10. #80
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You are incorrect. There has never been a communist government/society. The all are, ultimately fascist dictatorships. A TRUE communist society would never operate in the way we have seen.
    A "true" communist society? And what exactly is a "true" communist society? Lenin, the grandfather of 20th century communism, initiated his goals for the construction of a communist society based on the belief that it would take time. He did not yet consider Russia communist and that is why it became known as the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. Lenin advocated small measures of government takeover that would largely work in conjunction with private businesses.

    It's easy to claim that communism was more pure than that and therefore no such communist system has ever existed. Well since the Catholic Church has been publicly humiliated with the child scandals, I suppose there's no such thing as Catholicism. Just because every living example of communism has proven to fail and to be cruel, it does not automatically disqualify all systems of being communist.

    Nazism was an ideology built on the greatness and protection of the German blood, but when Hitler gave the order to scorch everything and to bomb German cities with German citizens, did that disqualify Hitler as a Nazi?

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •