View Poll Results: Were the Nazis...

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Predominantly Right Wing

    123 50.20%
  • Predominantly Left Wing

    75 30.61%
  • Largely in the center

    18 7.35%
  • Don't know/unsure/no opinion/none of the above

    29 11.84%
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 411

Thread: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

  1. #361
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    which Socialism? there is more than one kind, ya know.
    There are over 12 types, yes, because different people come up with different versions. If you think communism in general is bad, how about socialism? I am not well-versed in socialism, and I realize there are some good concepts of socialism (I think), but sometimes socialism is used in terrible ways, as in Naziism.

    There are also philosophical reason I disagree with socialism. One being that it tries to create a utopia, which is impossible.

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    No. I am not going to tell you that. What I am going to say, is that Marxism is not authoritarian in theory. Hypothetically, there exist forms of communism with highly varying degrees of authoritarianism. This is not to say that this is also true in practice.
    Marxism may not be authoritarian in theory, yet it becomes so when people actually use the theory and enforce its citizens t live under it. Communism is supposedly good in theory, yet people keep dying or are subjugated/oppressed when it's finally applied in the real world.

  3. #363
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    U.S.
    Last Seen
    06-17-12 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    415

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake
    Marxism may not be authoritarian in theory, yet it becomes so when people actually use the theory and enforce its citizens t live under it. Communism is supposedly good in theory, yet people keep dying or are subjugated/oppressed when it's finally applied in the real world.
    Yes, many radical leftists, claiming to be socially liberal, suddenly become authoritarian when in political office. This is also true for socially liberal right-wingers, and all other social liberals. This authoritarianism occurs at various levels, depending on how radical the politician's ideology actually is. It is easier to be socially liberal in opposition than in office.

  4. #364
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    There are over 12 types, yes, because different people come up with different versions. If you think communism in general is bad, how about socialism? I am not well-versed in socialism, and I realize there are some good concepts of socialism (I think), but sometimes socialism is used in terrible ways, as in Naziism.

    There are also philosophical reason I disagree with socialism. One being that it tries to create a utopia, which is impossible.
    this one ain't bad

    Democratic Socialism.

    Socialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    this one ain't bad

    Democratic Socialism.

    Socialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I already added that article to my forum. Haven't read it in-depth yet since there's quite a few articles/quotes I'm still gathering.

    Thanks, though.

  6. #366
    Rogue Graffias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S
    Last Seen
    08-26-15 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    924

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    If you read the points of the National Socialists early political platform, they were clearly socialist. Some of their demands:

    11. That all unearned income, and all income that does not arise from work, be abolished.

    12. Since every war imposes on the people fearful sacrifices in blood and treasure, all personal profit arising from the war must be regarded as treason to the people. We therefore demand the total confiscation of all war profits.

    13. We demand the nationalization of all trusts.


    14. We demand profit-sharing in large industries.


    15. We demand a generous increase in old-age pensions.


    16. We demand the creation and maintenance of a sound middle-class, the immediate communalization of large stores which will be rented cheaply to small tradespeople, and the strongest consideration must be given to ensure that small traders shall deliver the supplies needed by the State, the provinces and municipalities.

    17. We demand an agrarian reform in accordance with our national requirements, and the enactment of a law to expropriate the owners without compensation of any land needed for the common purpose. The abolition of ground rents, and the prohibition of all speculation in land.
    These demands were moderated after leftists like Otto Strasser left the party and most of the socialist wing was purged in the Night of The Long Knives. Regardless of whether Hitler was a leftist at heart, he had to appease the industrialists who supported his party. The Third Reich could be described as a moderate socialist state with a fiercely nationalist stance. No doubt the N.S government intervened in the economy; unemployment was reduced by public works projects and Göring's four year plan.

    But militarism, nationalism, and reactionary social policies are not normally associated with left-wing governments, which is why it makes no sense to call Hitler a leftist. Take away all of that and Hitler is just a left of center moderate with a gift for inspiring the masses. Hitler makes it clear in this speech that his "volksgemeinschaft" involves government intervention to help Germany's poorest, but that he does not support communistic redistribution of wealth.



  7. #367
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graffias View Post
    But militarism, nationalism, and reactionary social policies are not normally associated with left-wing governments, which is why it makes no sense to call Hitler a leftist.
    you were doing great until you got to this point

    1. we aren't talking about Hitler in particular, but Nazi's in general. Though Hitler himself was definitely a man of the left.
    2. the Nazis did not push reactionary social policy - in fact, they were quite "new age". they attacked the notion of the family as the fundamental unit of society, they supported childbirth out of wedlock, they opposed the traditional role of the Christian Church, were often pagan-oriented themselves, and so on and so forth.
    3. militarism was absolutely part and parcel of the political left. In particular, militarism attracted them because it gave them carte blanche to reorganize society as they saw fit. In this nation, for example, War Socialism became the model for an active peacetime role for the state in the economy.
    4. Nationalism, similarly, was solidly ensconced in the political left, as was its' political cousin, the science of racism.

  8. #368
    Rogue Graffias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S
    Last Seen
    08-26-15 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    924

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    1. we aren't talking about Hitler in particular, but Nazi's in general. Though Hitler himself was definitely a man of the left.
    I don't think it's clear Hitler was a man of the left. In the early days, yes. But we don't know what Hitler's true ideological convictions were after he came to power, because they were so different from that of his early political career.

    2. the Nazis did not push reactionary social policy - in fact, they were quite "new age". they attacked the notion of the family as the fundamental unit of society, they supported childbirth out of wedlock, they opposed the traditional role of the Christian Church, were often pagan-oriented themselves, and so on and so forth.
    They attacked the family as the fundamental unit of society? I don't see this at all. They wanted women to have as many children as possible, but none of the propaganda of that time that I've read shows that they had antipathy towards families. There was a special breeding program for Aryan couples that did involve having children out of wedlock, but that was just a program of the SS. The SS as a whole did not represent the Nazi party, but it did represent it's more radical elements. When I say "radical", I mean from the standpoint of trying to ensure the most "racially pure" Aryans were born in the greatest number. Paganism was just Himmler's idea of replacing Christianity with a more Germanic, and less Jewish, religion. It certainly was not a policy that the National Socialists were trying to pursue as a whole. The reason that the churches were persecuted during the war is because people like Martin Niemöller openly criticized the regime. The National Socialists tolerated religion as long as it didn't question their policies.

    3. militarism was absolutely part and parcel of the political left. In particular, militarism attracted them because it gave them carte blanche to reorganize society as they saw fit. In this nation, for example, War Socialism became the model for an active peacetime role for the state in the economy.
    You're going to have to do better than that to show that militarism is a common feature of leftist governments. In Germany, the militarists were the most conservative elements, such as the military and industrialists. These people were not leftists by any stretch of the imagination.

    4. Nationalism, similarly, was solidly ensconced in the political left, as was its' political cousin, the science of racism.
    So the Social Democrats and communists in Germany had significant racist and nationalist elements among them when compared to the right wing parties? How about the Liberal and Labour parties in Britain? The Democrats in the U.S? These were all leftist parties. I know as a extreme conservative, you have every incentive to demonize liberalism in any way possible, but the assertions you're making are just ridiculous.

  9. #369
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graffias View Post
    I don't think it's clear Hitler was a man of the left. In the early days, yes. But we don't know what Hitler's true ideological convictions were after he came to power, because they were so different from that of his early political career.
    so your argument is that Hitler had a conversion experience after getting into power that he never mentioned and which has eluded his biographers?

    If you could please point me in the direction of Hitler's later advocation of a free market?

    They attacked the family as the fundamental unit of society?
    yes. for the Fascist, the State was the fundamental unit of society, and everyone's primary relationship was with it. As Mussolini put it, "All within the State, nothing outside the State, nothing against the State".

    I don't see this at all. They wanted women to have as many children as possible
    that's true, and gave medals awards and all manner of benefits to those who had more than their share of genetically desirable children. What they didn't really care about was whether or not the woman was married to the father, as exampled by your next point:

    There was a special breeding program for Aryan couples that did involve having children out of wedlock, but that was just a program of the SS.
    The SS as a whole did not represent the Nazi party, but it did represent it's more radical elements.
    not really. the SS existed as a parrallel organization to the Abwehr and the Wermacht. It's common for ideological dictatorships to do this - witness the KGB in the USSR, and the GRB and IRGC in North Korea and Iran today. The SS was there specifically to swear allegiance to the Nazi Party and Hitler in particular due to Party distrust of the traditional military leadership (as they were largely made up of old-school Prussian nobility).

    When I say "radical", I mean from the standpoint of trying to ensure the most "racially pure" Aryans were born in the greatest number.
    well, yeah, that was also generally the policy of the Party and the Policy of the State.

    Paganism was just Himmler's idea of replacing Christianity with a more Germanic, and less Jewish, religion.
    It was hardly restricted to just Himmler. Hess, for example, was a member of the Thule Society, and that is where Nazis' drew the Swastika from.

    It certainly was not a policy that the National Socialists were trying to pursue as a whole. The reason that the churches were persecuted during the war is because people like Martin Niemöller openly criticized the regime. The National Socialists tolerated religion as long as it didn't question their policies.
    eh, dependent. Nazi's also accepted the argument (drawing from both Gibbons and Kant) that Christianity had weakened the Teutonic peoples, and was therefore a long-term threat to their taking their rightful place in history. Nazis' accepted what they called "Positive Christianity", by which they meant Christianity without the Old Testament, the Pauline Letters, the doctrine of Original Sin, the existence of Hell and the doctrine of Grace... Christianity was either to serve the state (all within the state), or it was an alternate power center, and was then to be destroyed.

    You're going to have to do better than that to show that militarism is a common feature of leftist governments. In Germany, the militarists were the most conservative elements, such as the military and industrialists. These people were not leftists by any stretch of the imagination.
    you are very incorrect. In Germany between the wars, militant nationalism and expansionism was the belief system of the wide majority of the populace, who saw themselves as having been brutally cheated and humiliated to a place below their natural station. If anything, it was the Prussian nobility who thought that Hitler was pushing too far, and would destroy the nation through unsustainable expansionism. That, after all, is why they eventually repented of their deal with the devil, and turned on him. It was the Ivory Tower academic types like Haushofer who were urging that the German people naturally take control of the Euroafrican "pan region".

    in the meantime, if you want to know about the commonality of militarism as a left-wing impulse of the time, you may wish to research the Wilson and FDR administrations. organizing society along militant lines was considered good for the state (who found its' job much easier), good for society (who would now be better organized) and good for the individual (who would now be better disciplined). The CCC was overtly military in its' organization, FDR's cabinet urged him to deputize the American Legion as an "extraconstitutional" private Army answerable only to him in the 30's, the National Recovery Administration (NRA) head Hugh Johnson suggested that FDR should dismiss Congress and the Supreme Court (temporarily) in order to fully exercise Mussolini-like powers, while Walter Lippman urged FDR to assume "dictatorial like powers". Woodrow Wilson did assume dictatorial like powers; running a brownshirt-like thug force known as the "American Protective League", having people arrested for criticizing his administration (a man was arrested, for example, for explaining in his own house that he did not wish to buy war bonds), and seeking to control the entirety of the American economy through War Socialism, which was later to become the model from which the New Deal drew.

    So the Social Democrats and communists in Germany had significant racist and nationalist elements among them when compared to the right wing parties? How about the Liberal and Labour parties in Britain? The Democrats in the U.S? These were all leftist parties. I know as a extreme conservative, you have every incentive to demonize liberalism in any way possible, but the assertions you're making are just ridiculous.
    I'm not out here to demonize anyone - certainly no one is suggesting that modern liberals are racists just because Nazi's were lefties. However, yes, indeed, in fact, racism and nationalism were very much a part of the left-wing movements of the day in the West. You may wish to do some reading on the history of Eugenics in this country (hint: some of our progressive "racial scientists" were working with their counterparts from a particular German political party).

  10. #370
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Were the Nazis Right or Left Wing?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You think Communism isn't?
    There is a difference , but not that much ,between "intellectualism" and "thinking for ones-self"..But extremism accepts neither..except its own sick agenda...

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •