View Poll Results: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christianity

    22 26.19%
  • Islam

    62 73.81%
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 211

Thread: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

  1. #201
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?


    Muslims Want Halal Food in NYC Schools – Kosher Not Option

    Without knowing the number of students who need halal food, or the costs or feasibility of providing it, the legislation simply instructs the Department of Education to provide it.
    Lori Lowenthal Marcus
    March 27th, 2014
    The Jewish Press Muslims Want Halal Food in NYC Schools – Kosher Not Option


    CAIR-NY at Muslim Day in Albany where they lobbied for a
    bill requiring large city school districts to provide halal food.
    Proposed legislation was introduced into New York City Council to require that the city’s public schools provide Islamic-compliant food – halal – as an option in the cafeterias. The New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) joined forces with council member Rafael L. Espinal, Jr. (Brooklyn) to support Resolution 54 at a press conference on the steps of New York City Hall on Wednesday, March 26.

    Fourteen other city councilmembers co-sponsored Espinal’s Resolution.
    The Resolution goes into explicit detail about what Islamic-observant students are permitted to eat and what they must avoid eating, as well as stating who made those determinations. To wit:

    Whereas, The practice of Islam is determined by the Islamic teachings as guided by the holy book Quran and the Hadith, and sayings of the Prophet Mohammad, which includes observing dietary laws; and
    Whereas, Islamic dietary laws delineate foods that are halal, meaning lawful or permitted, and those that are haram, meaning not permitted;
    and Whereas, Haram foods include pork and its by-products, meat and poultry not slaughtered according to the Islamic dietary law, alcohol and foods prepared with and containing alcohol, foods containing blood and blood by-products, and foods containing whey prepared with non-microbial enzyme, rennet, animal shortening, monoglycerides and diglycerides from an animal source, sodium stearoyl lactylate, and L-cysteine.
    [........]
    Of course, there are other students in the New York City public schools who have religious dietary requirements. That would be Jewish observant children. The New York City public schools Don’t offer kosher lunches and to date, NO Jewish groups have marched themselves into the New York City council chambers demanding that there be a kosher food option.
    [........]
    No word yet from the American Civil Liberties Union or any of the other organizations that typically do a quick burn whenever anything that smells like government accommodating religious requirements is announced.

    CAIR’S New York office had more news about its recent legislative activities.

    Its press release explained that CAIR-NY had already lobbied the New York state legislature to urge the passage of S6834. That proposed law would amend New York state education law to require any city in the state with over one million residents to offer halal food options in public schools during lunch.
    Last edited by mbig; 05-03-14 at 02:18 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #202
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    115

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    True Christianity is based on Christs love and the free will of man to choose to accept or reject Him. Islam is based on fear and terror. And before you say but but but, using Christianity as a weapon of the govt is never how Jesus intended it nor is it what Christianity really is. Despicable people pervert it

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Christianity CAN be pushy, very pushy... it has the rhetoric to support a cult of fanaticism, like all religions do... but the majority of Christians aren't interested in being crusaders and the act of religious fanaticism is considered distasteful in this day and age.

    But in islam, aside from the fact that it has the rhetoric to back up a cult of fanaticism, a lot of muslims are very tolerant and accepting of fanaticism and therefore, there are a lot of real, very dangerous fanatics from islam all over the world. And there is no sign of a slowing down.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam? When I say "pushy" I mean which religion did more to spread itself by any means necessary and which one had more oppressive governments?

    For me, it's Christianity, seeing as how it was spread from Europe around the world and was used as a reason to screw over the indigenous peoples of the world.
    They were equal opportunity offenders. I think the predilection among many Westerners to single out Christianity comes from their personal experience with it in terms of cultural, personal, and environmental exposure. You highlighted Imperialism and Colonialism tinged with religious vigor, but that is merely a difference of opportunity. If the fleets of Islam had descended upon the Americas instead of Christendom do you really think it would have been different? Given the circumstances it's arguable that it would have been worse.

    You say Crusades I say, I say the Desolation of India. You say Livonian Campaign, I say Invasion of the Sudan. You say Imperialism, I say Invasion of Spain, Sicily, Italy, the Balkans, France and the sack of Constantinople.

  5. #205
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam? When I say "pushy" I mean which religion did more to spread itself by any means necessary and which one had more oppressive governments?

    For me, it's Christianity, seeing as how it was spread from Europe around the world and was used as a reason to screw over the indigenous peoples of the world.
    Islam on a large scale: in some areas the leaders harass businesses and individuals over things like 'the appearance of an ice-cream cone logo' and 'this restaurant advertises pork products too close to me' (both documented cases)

    But in my life: Christianity - my family's always trying to put my nose to the grindstone.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #206
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Historically? The Crusades and Inquisition are often mentioned, but less commonly spoken of is the Caliphate, the Ottoman Empire, the Muslim invasion of Eastern Europe, the Moors invasion of Spain.

    Modern Christianity does not expand by the sword, or execute "heretics".

    Modern Islam does.

    /thread
    And this is why the OP's conclusion is disingenuous. He's cherry-picking the era on which he focuses so that he can "prove" his conclusion.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #207
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Why do so many forget that the Crusades were a RESPONSE to centuries of Islamic aggression?
    so why did they kill so many Jews on the way?

  8. #208
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    If by "pushy" you mean authorized by their doctrine to smash fingertips, and cut off heads of the unbelievers, I'd really have to go with Islam.

    By comparison, your garden variety Christian evangelist is pretty much a piker when it comes to pushiness. As a matter of fact, Muhammadans are busily pushing Christians right out of Arab countries as I understand it.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  9. #209
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam? When I say "pushy" I mean which religion did more to spread itself by any means necessary and which one had more oppressive governments?

    For me, it's Christianity, seeing as how it was spread from Europe around the world and was used as a reason to screw over the indigenous peoples of the world.
    without more specifics this really cant be answered.

    Region
    time fram
    overall
    how to qualify pushy
    gender
    etc etc



    I can only answer for me.

    I am christian and here in my area its clearly more pushy by default.
    Theres more Christians here a very large amount and there are certainly more misguided Christian here that want thier specific believes pushed on others.

    But again thats where I live and based off of extreme Christians not all and not nationally or globally by any means.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    IMO, ALL major religions are a complete and total waste of time and only for the weak and/or the ignorant and/or the desperate.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •