View Poll Results: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christianity

    22 26.19%
  • Islam

    62 73.81%
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 211

Thread: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

  1. #101
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If you were familiar with the subject, you'd realize that there is a strong connection between Christianity and witch-hunting in Africa at present.
    I'm not familiar with that in particular, I just saw no christian connection in the article you posted. I made no comment about christian extremists -- I've no doubt that extremists of any sort are prone to terrible atrocities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Hello, Pot. Meet Kettle.
    care to point to where I was unwilling to accept a fact of history? Your earlier article made no mention that christians were behind the slayings, only witch-doctors. Non-christian tribes kill over accusations of witchcraft as well.
    Last edited by other; 01-18-11 at 02:24 PM.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The article contains factual details about what happened, and then quotes Chomsky. The factual details remain factual. It's not an opinion piece.
    I dunno, I didn't read the article. But in my view it doesn't speak well of the writer if he or she felt the need to seek out Chomsky's opinion about anything besides linguistics.

  3. #103
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Besides that, you are being entirely disingenuous if you are trying to assert that the homophobic violence in Uganda is the result of African shamanistic religions. Uganda is something like 90% Christian, and if you take a minute to research the politics of the situation you will see that it is right-wing mainstream Protestants that are behind the anti-gay movement.
    The article I responded to wasn't about violence against homosexuals -- so again, don't know where you're coming up with you're point here.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    You're talking about Arab pirates sacking a city, I'm talking about a serious threat posed by Muslim invaders. As you yourself said earlier in this very thread, sacking a city is nothing, right? At the time, southern Italy and Spain were culturally steeped in Islam. These were not invaders, they were neighbors. And it had absolutely nothing to do with Jerusalem. None of it can be viewed as sufficient provocation for the Crusades. The fact is the Crusades were a war of conquest.

    The fact is that there was no threat posed by Islam to Western Europe at the time of the Crusades, nor had there been a threat to Western Europe posed by Muslim invaders since the Battle of Tours, period. I appreciate your wikipedia research, though, keep it up. You might eventually learn something
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 01-18-11 at 02:39 PM.

  5. #105
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You're talking about Arab pirates sacking a city, I'm talking about a serious threat posed by Muslim invaders. There was no such thread posed by Islam at the time of the Crusades, nor had there been a threat to Western Europe posed by Muslim invaders since the Battle of Tours, period. I appreciate your wikipedia research, though, keep it up. You might eventually learn something
    Oh, so you just want to dismiss? Because the sack of churches in Rome by muslim invaders wouldn't have been perceived as any threat by the Roman Catholics in Europe, is that what you're saying?

    wow. I see there's no point at all in trying to discuss this with you.

  6. #106
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    You changed your post, so I'll respond to your misrepresentations here too...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    As you yourself said earlier in this very thread, sacking a city is nothing, right?
    No, I said it happened often and that it wasn't religiously motivated in the case of the Byzantine cities.

    At the time, southern Italy and Spain were culturally steeped in Islam.
    Yeah, and why do you think that was the case? Sicily and Apulia, like spain, had been conquered by muslim invaders. They were all previously christian lands. But of course, because you say so, such incursions were perceived as no threat, of course...
    Why do you think the Pope incited the Normans, the christianized descendants of the hated vikings, to come and take sicily and apulia, which they then held for centuries?

    These were not invaders, they were neighbors.
    Oh, they weren't invaders, so the previous christian inhabitants of southern italy and sicily invited muslims to come rule over them? And good neighbors sack each others' cities and no one is alarmed by that?

    And you call me an apologist?

    And it had absolutely nothing to do with Jerusalem. None of it can be viewed as sufficient provocation for the Crusades.
    I already stated that they viewed the accounts of attacks on christian pilgrims as a threat and an injustice that needed to be fixed.

    Why do you insist on ignoring 90% of the latin/muslim context in the 400 years leading up to the crusades? Again, and you accuse me of "sweepin things under the rug."

    The fact is the Crusades were a war of conquest.
    You're actually correct here, but then again, who said otherwise?

    The fact is that there was no threat posed by Islam to Western Europe at the time of the Crusades, nor had there been a threat to Western Europe posed by Muslim invaders since the Battle of Tours, period.
    I've already addressed this incorrect assumption.
    Last edited by other; 01-18-11 at 03:28 PM.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I dunno, I didn't read the article.
    Your disinterest in facts is duly noted.

  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    And, there's more....

    Christian extremism in Africa is a very serious and growing problem. Uganda's laws, encouraged by American fundamentalists, that would make homosexuality punishable by death, are the tip of the iceberg.

    AFP: Kenya mob burns 15 women to death over witchcraft

    In Africa, at least, there is very little difference between the extremist Islamic and the extremist Christian.

    OK thanks, I wasn't aware that Africa had a "Christian terrorist" problem.

    However, I have a few caveats... if they're really engaging in some of the things they're accused of, then they are so far gone from anything like Christianity that they don't deserve the title.

    For another thing, it is still a comparison of BB's to Buckshot, in terms of quantity.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #109
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Islam is far more pushy. First of all we have many world nations that have an Islamic government that pushes Islam on the populace. You also see in these countries a huge violation of freedom of religion. Many of these countries persecute Christians, have laws against proselytizing, kill those who leave Islam, and all sorts of things. To my knowledge no Christian theocracy does this (or if one even exists).
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Which Religion is more "pushy?" Christianity or Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    OK thanks, I wasn't aware that Africa had a "Christian terrorist" problem.
    It depends on how you define the term. If, by terrorist, you mean people who are wreaking havoc and killing innocents, then yes, Africa has a Christian "terrorist" problem.

    However, I have a few caveats... if they're really engaging in some of the things they're accused of, then they are so far gone from anything like Christianity that they don't deserve the title.
    Most Islamics feel the same way about their terrorists.

    For another thing, it is still a comparison of BB's to Buckshot, in terms of quantity.
    I think that Christian extremists are killing about as many people annually as Islamic extremists are. There is just less reporting on it because it's in Africa and other 3rd world countries.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •