View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 88 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #871
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,492

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    There is nothing wrong with discrimination as long as it is rational. We discriminate between selling guns to regular citizens and selling guns to felons. We discriminate between selling alcohol and tobacco to adults versus selling alcohol and tobacco to minors.
    Polygamy involves consenting adults who love each other. It is discrimination.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    There are rational reasons behind why we discriminate in that fashion. You have to be pretty stupid to argue that all discrimination is bad and anti American and I don't know many people who do, so anyone who argues such is making a strawman and hyperbole.
    Not saying that at all. I am saying their is no rational reason to deny polygamy or in most cases due to medical advances incest.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    There are lots of rational reasons why we should discriminate against polygamy but there are NO good reasons why we should discriminate against same sex marriage.
    Why? Because it will be a little more complicated? Many Mormons and Muslims would disagree.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-15-11 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #872
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,492

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Perhaps, but it still mischaracterizes my argument. Do you think that not allowing 1 year olds the right to vote is discrimination?
    They are unable to physically or mentally vote either way. That is a ridicules comparison. I am talking about grown adult humans who want to marry more than one person. They deserve equal rights. Anything else is discrimination and anti-American and has been debunked.

    It is about the family and civil rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #873
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    They are unable to physically or mentally vote either way. That is a ridicules comparison. I am talking about grown adult humans who want to marry more than one person. They deserve equal rights. Anything else is discrimination and anti-American and has been debunked.

    It is about the family and civil rights.
    No, I've already debunked the polygamy argument several times. It's not discrimination because it does not accomplish the same goals that marriage is to accomplish... which is why the government should not sanction it. It's not discrimination at all... but since I NEVER argue from a discrimination position for GM, I'm really not concerned about discrimination anyway. See... you don't know my position on this.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #874
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,492

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, I've already debunked the polygamy argument several times. It's not discrimination because it does not accomplish the same goals that marriage is to accomplish... which is why the government should not sanction it.
    And what goals would those be? Why would 3 or more married people in the same household not stand up? You have given answers with no substance.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    It's not discrimination at all... but since I NEVER argue from a discrimination position for GM, I'm really not concerned about discrimination anyway. See... you don't know my position on this.
    Yes it is un-American and discrimination. They have a right to marriage. Marriage is a right. I don't know your position because you have yet to give it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #875
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And what goals would those be? Why would 3 or more married people in the same household not stand up? You have given answers with no substance.
    I have posted this lots of times before. I have it bookmarked on my computer at home (I'm at work), so I'll repost it later. In brief, though, marriage has been shown to produce the following benefits: increased health, positive rearing of chidren, more individual stability, and more financial stability. All of these things lead to a more stable society and a society where the rearing of children can occur in an environment that allows for the best outcome. Government sanctions marriage because in order for our nation... and hence our government to survive, a healthy, stable society, where children are reared with positive outcomes is desired. GM and traditional marriage, research has shown, meet these criteria. Polygamy, does not. Hence, governmental sanctioning of GM and TM is logical; sanctioning of PM is not.



    Yes it is un-American and discrimination. They have a right to marriage. Marriage is a right. I don't know your position because you have yet to give it.
    Marriage is not a right. It's not discrimination because the same reasons that governemnt sanctions marriage in the first place does not apply to polygamy. And as far as my position goes, we've debated this before. You don't remember?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #876
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is what we call an "opinion". Your opinion is noted, but I disagree. You also failed in any way to actually address my counter to your claim.
    Where exact did you note it?

    Do you have a pic?

  7. #877
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Here's an excellent answer to this statement:
    ....not track'n.....

  8. #878
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Just because you have such a negative view on marriage doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to make up my own mind on whether or not I get married.
    I gave my opinion, you're not required to like it.

  9. #879
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,492

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I have posted this lots of times before. I have it bookmarked on my computer at home (I'm at work), so I'll repost it later. In brief, though, marriage has been shown to produce the following benefits: increased health, positive rearing of chidren, more individual stability, and more financial stability. All of these things lead to a more stable society and a society where the rearing of children can occur in an environment that allows for the best outcome. Government sanctions marriage because in order for our nation... and hence our government to survive, a healthy, stable society, where children are reared with positive outcomes is desired. GM and traditional marriage, research has shown, meet these criteria. Polygamy, does not. Hence, governmental sanctioning of GM and TM is logical; sanctioning of PM is not.
    I have seen nothing that say a polygamist marriage is somehow less stable etc. Iit as a "behavioral Pandora's box". If we accept gay marriage, what else do we need to accept? It's going to include things like polygamy. Of course some discrimination seems to be OK, as long as it is your side.

    Pro-Polygamy.com

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Marriage is not a right. It's not discrimination because the same reasons that governemnt sanctions marriage in the first place does not apply to polygamy. And as far as my position goes, we've debated this before. You don't remember?
    "The case for an end to anti-bigamy laws is similar to the fight for gay marriage. The question is whether the government should be telling consenting adults whom they can love and how they should arrange their families. And the answer is that it shouldn't. Society can give its opinion. - Nontraditional marriage: 'Sister Wives' shows polygamy can have its perks | OregonLive.com

    Using government force to impose your morals on something that is not your business is discrimination. The 14th amendment covers this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #880
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That's human RIGHTS. I stated the human RACE. I'm not talking about rights, but the existence of the race in general.
    Yeah bringing up the human race was random, I didn't know wtf you were trying to say or where I should take it. I'll be here if you're like to resume our argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You're arguing for the sake of arguing... which means that you are just arguing to be argumentative. You're not arguing a position. You're just arguing. If that's what you want to do, that's on you. I'm just pointing it out.
    Pretty much, yeah.

Page 88 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •