View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #851
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You do realize that the anti same sex marriage side is using whatever it takes to defeat marriage equality
    That's not my team so why should care if their quarterback can't throe?

  2. #852
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, Jerry, that is complete mischaracterization. The family argument is the best way to win the gay marriage debate because it is logical and is not strictly relevant to gay marriage. It is relevant to ALL marriage. I would argue it whether GM was legal or not. I would also argue it, and HAVE argued it as the main reason why MARRIAGE should remain a legal institution in the US. Go read a few of my debates with Panache, our resident "there should be no government sanctioned marriage" poster for reference. The family argument is not as you are characterizing it. You make it sound like it is a lie to win the GM debate. Which it absolutely is not.
    Then where are the pro-marriage people? All I see are special interest groups hashing it out over votes and money. In the headlines, in the mainstream, where are the people who speak of promoting marriage per-se? Pro-SSM is not it. Anti-SSM isn't it.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-15-11 at 08:06 PM.

  3. #853
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You miss the point of course. You seem to think there is only one reason why people support SSM, when in fact there are several. For the family is one, to promote monogamy is one, fairness is one, and there are others. The strongest argument is the family argument, but it is not the only argument. Having multiple reasons for supporting something does not mean that those other reasons are lies.
    Marriage is not about monogamy, nor is it about "fairness", so those are invalid reasons.

  4. #854
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then where are the pro-marriage people? All I see are special interest groups hashing it out over votes and money. In the headlines, in the mainstream, where are the people who speak of promoting marriage per-se? Pro-SSM is not it. Anti-SSM isn't it.
    No need to fight for something that already is in place.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #855
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,353
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Marriage is not about monogamy, nor is it about "fairness", so those are invalid reasons.
    That is what we call an "opinion". Your opinion is noted, but I disagree. You also failed in any way to actually address my counter to your claim.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #856
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Poligamists. What you have something against Muslims? Discrimination.
    Polygamy doesn't fit with ANY of the positives that do with both GM and traditional marriage.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #857
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then where are the pro-marriage people? All I see are special interest groups hashing it out over votes and money. In the headlines, in the mainstream, where are the people who speak of promoting marriage per-se? Pro-SSM is not it. Anti-SSM isn't it.
    Marriage already exists, so there is no reason to lobby for it. Why aren't there pro-human race groups promoting the human race instead of groups promoting black rights, or white rights?

    You seem to be arguing just for the sake of arguing.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #858
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Marriage is not about monogamy, nor is it about "fairness", so those are invalid reasons.
    Marriage promotes monogomy, which in turn promotes stability. This kind of stability promotes societal stability, one of the reasons the government would sanction marriage.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #859
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No need to fight for something that already is in place.
    I don't think a 50% divorce rate is worth fighting for. Frankly I don't see why gays even bother.

  10. #860
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Marriage promotes monogomy, which in turn promotes stability. This kind of stability promotes societal stability, one of the reasons the government would sanction marriage.
    Monogamy isn't required for stability. Polygamy can promote stability quite well, if not better than monogamy.

Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •