View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 69 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #681
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This is what I mean, I said and you missed it "some I agree with and some I don't." I am not going to break it down as it is not necessary to be honest. Your saying it will have no effect is as much speculation or a guess as my saying it will. So nothing to do but wait and see how it plays out.
    Well what I'm really saying is that there's no reason so suspect that allowing same sex marriage is going to have a huge impact on society. Other than giving divorce lawyers more clients.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #682
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They are just as bad as strait parents.
    No doubt we have tons of data on that.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #683
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Legal definition...

    A contract made in due form of law, by which a free man and a free woman reciprocally engage to live with each other during their joint lives, in the union which ought io exist between husband and wife. By the terms freeman and freewoman in this definition are meant, not only that they are free and not slaves, but also that they are clear of all bars to a lawful marriage. - Legal Definition of Marriage

    Now we know.
    Legal definition? DOMA has been in effect since 1996, so of course that would follow the legal definition. What is your point? We are still speaking two different languages and I don't think either of us are lawyers.

    Since the beginning of Christianity and the church. Accepting Jesus as Saviour and divine is what being a Christian is, hence the word "Christ-Ian."
    Appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy. As I said, you have no monopoly on any word.

    I have already given the legal definition of marriage, so no I don't have a monopoly on anything.
    A legal definition is simply an interpretation of present law. What does that have to do with mine or your definition? Are you suggesting the legal definition is the end all? If DOMA is struck down by the courts tomorrow and all the states are forced to legally recognize same sex marriages, will that change your definition of marriage? If not, then you can see how absurd and pointless an argument you are making.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-07-11 at 01:58 PM.

  4. #684
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Legal definition? DOMA has been in effect since 1996, so of course that would follow the legal definition. What is your point? We are still speaking two different languages and I don't think either of us are lawyers.
    You don't have to be a lawyer to understand clearly how the law sees it. I am speaking English according to US law. What are you speaking?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy. As I said, you have no monopoly on any word.
    Who is appealing to tradition? It IS the definition of what a Christian is. By your definition a Satan worshiper must be a Christian because they also accept the Bible.

    Sorry you don't want to accept the definition.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    A legal definition is simply an interpretation of present law. What does that have to do with mine or your definition?
    It is the accepted definition by law. I mean you can make up anything you want a word to mean. This does not make it valid or acceptable in the eyes of the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Are you suggesting the legal definition is the end all?
    At this time, yes it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If DOMA is struck down by the courts tomorrow and all the states are forced to legally recognize same sex marriages, will that change your definition of marriage?
    For legal purposes, yes it would.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If not, then you can see how absurd and pointless an argument you are making.
    Well I guess that statement was just blown to heck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #685
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well what I'm really saying is that there's no reason so suspect that allowing same sex marriage is going to have a huge impact on society. Other than giving divorce lawyers more clients.
    Again that is your opinion and I don't agree. I have shown ample evidence why. You may not agree with it, but that makes your argument no more valid in any way than mine.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-07-11 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #686
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,813

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They are just as bad as strait parents.

    Yep Gay, Straight, Bi parents are basically all the same as far as a healthy up bringing good or bad. Some parents are losers some are winners, the sexuality doesnt matter. Thats been proven. Also while I think it is a solid concern its still woudnt be an argument to discriminate against gay marriage.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #687
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,813

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well what I'm really saying is that there's no reason so suspect that allowing same sex marriage is going to have a huge impact on society. Other than giving divorce lawyers more clients.
    Well define huge?
    Anytime you we right the wrongs of our country and get rid of such a gross discrimination like this, there is going to be a huge change in the equality department of society. Then there will be the oppressors that try to keep their hopes of discriminating alive. It happened with minority rights, womens rights and interracial marriage. Its just the nature of the beast, but there will be way more POSITIVE effects in society than negative. Probably about 90% of all the negatives that might happen in REALITY have been brought up, we have heard all of them before with all those other movements, they were dumb then and they most certainly are dumb now. Over all they are small scale, society will once again mature and have to figure it out. Now dont get me wrong, IMO, we STILL havent figured out all the ins & outs of the other movements, they do have things about them you can argue as a negative but overall theres more positive and the alternative certainly is not the right thing to do. No real american wants to take away womens/minorities rights and interracial marriage. Eventually this will come to pass and just like the other movements to get rid of discrimination people will see the sky isnt going to fall.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #688
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well maybe if they knocked on your door and when you opened it, they kicked you in the nuts....then that would be a jerk move.
    That would get them shot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm still not convinced that knocking on the door in and of itself constitutes a jerk action.
    If they don't have a good reason, a good reason in my eyes, it's a jerk move. Like sexual harasement, 'being a jerk' is left entierly to the subjective opinion of the target to decide if being a jerk has even occured and to what severity. There is no objective meashure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    As for the Boy Scouts, I didn't even think about that. But they are more than free to discriminate against gays; they are a private group. They may exclude anyone they want.
    Going back to purly subjective determination of whether or not someone is being a jerk: If I opened the door to finde a Scout, they get a pass. It doesn't matter what they want, it's all good. **** the raid, the Scouts are excused.

  9. #689
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,035

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    It's when two ding dongs legally smash up against each other and struggle to figure out why they are confused.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  10. #690
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Again that is your opinion and I don't agree. I have shown ample evidence why. You may not agree with it, but that makes your argument no more valid in any way than mine.
    You showed no evidence. You showed supposition and opinion; that is not evidence. Evidence is measurable fact, and of that you really have given nothing. There's no measurement, there's nothing definitive. Instead you have things like "it will infringe upon the 1st amendment rights" or "there will be lawsuits" blah blah blah. There seriously was not one iota of "evidence" which you have shown. And evidence is what you need. Your side is the side which wishes to infringe upon the rights of another. Since you are the side wanting to use government force against the rights and liberties of another; you must have proof as to why it is necessary and just. Opinion and supposition are not a good basis for policy empowering the use of government force against others.

    The thing that is annoying is that you keep wanted to say "that's your opinion"; but it's beyond that. It's that you haven't shown anything that is demonstrable, that is measurable, that is rational to excuse the force you wish to use. If you have no proof, you have no valid or just reason to infringe upon the rights of others. That's a basic building block of the Republic.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 69 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •