View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 68 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #671
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well you know as well as I do State recognition of same sex marriage is legal in some States now.
    And that has absolutely nothing to do with my statement or your accusation at all. You flat out said my definition was wrong and I proved it was not. This argument you are making now is nothing but a strawman.

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    And the last I checked it was the States not the feds that issue marriage licenses.
    Another strawman. It has literally nothing to do with the legal definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #672
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And that has absolutely nothing to do with my statement or your accusation at all. You flat out said my definition was wrong and I proved it was. This argument is nothing but a strawman.



    Another strawman. It has literally nothing to do with the legal definition.

    The legal definition in some States does include same sex marriage.

  3. #673
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The legal definition in some States does include same sex marriage.
    And in more states they have formally defined marriage as strictly a male and female union
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #674
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    And in more states they have formally defined marriage as strictly a male and female union
    Yep they have.

  5. #675
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The legal definition in some States does include same sex marriage.
    And it is still not recognized by the VAST majority of states or the federal government. And most law dictionary's still to this day define it as a man and woman. Any questions?

    You know you can add more laughing smileys to make yourself feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #676
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And it is still not recognized by the VAST majority of states or the federal government. And most law dictionary's still to this day define it as a man and woman. Any questions?

    You know you can add more laughing smileys to make yourself feel better.

    Well I guess the ones from '96 don't. That doesn't change the fact that in some States the legal definition does include same sex marriage.

  7. #677
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well I guess the ones from '96 don't. That doesn't change the fact that in some States the legal definition does include same sex marriage.
    Man you just don't give up. I was correct and I am still correct. This has little or nothing to do with my post or point you tried so desperately to make fun of.

    Please admit your mistake and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #678
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,963

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Man you just don't give up. I was correct and I am still correct. This has little or nothing to do with my post or point you tried so desperately to make fun of.

    Please admit your mistake and move on.
    You are correct in the legal definition of marriage (as far as the federal government is concerned anyway), however, that is specifically because of DOMA that the government holds that legal definition of marriage. Without DOMA, the legal definition most likely would be two consenting adults making a contractual commitment to each other (or something in these words). The distinction of a man and a woman or husband and wife would most likely not be present in the legal definition without DOMA.

    Of course, this is not completely true anyway. Since, legally a man can get a sex change after he is married and be recognized as a woman by the state that she now lives in. As of right now, these types of couples would be two women married to each other legally. The federal government has yet to void such marriages because they were performed prior to the man becoming a woman. The same could be true for a woman who becomes a man, who was also married to a man (happens far less frequently, in fact, I really haven't heard of this happening ever, but I'm sure it is possible that it has happened somewhere).

    On the opposite of this, it is also possible, depending on the state for a man who has already become a woman to marry another woman in certain states that do not allow a transgendered person to legally change their sex. Which would mean that they would be getting married as a woman and woman, although legally they would be a man and woman. Plus, there would be many of the other states where a woman who has become a man could legally marry another woman after the surgery because they can legally change their sex to man although they were born a woman.

    These are some of the issues that currently make having gender/sex discrimination involved in marriage licensing such a mess. Without that discrimination, these people wouldn't have to worry about anything.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #679
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Who made that exact assertion?

    And in some cases, yes, some gay parents are better parents and vice versa.

    Sexual orientation does not give one super parenting powers either way, just look at these gems:

    Couple's online gaming causes infant's death - News at GameSpot



    Yep. Straight parents are always PERFECTO!!!
    So tell something wrong with gay parents now.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #680
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So tell something wrong with gay parents now.
    They are just as bad as strait parents.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 68 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •