View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #591
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So long as the Marriage License exists, they are entitled to enter it. If you don't want them using the term marriage, you should probably do something about the Marriage License.
    You know I think government should get out of the marriage business all together. Unfortunately that is not going to change as to many dunderheads are just fine with it. I will however fight against marriage being redefined or changed for any reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #592
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You know I think government should get out of the marriage business all together. Unfortunately that is not going to change as to many dunderheads are just fine with it. I will however fight against marriage being redefined or changed for any reason.
    Yeah, well I will fight against the use of government force against the rights and liberties of the individual if that individual has not infringed upon the rights of others. In other words, freedom. Because being free is what matters in the end. I think it's pretty condescending and arrogant to think that you can force your definitions onto everyone just because you think it's right. Ignoring the rights and liberties of the individual to push forward your own authoritative agenda.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #593
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, well I will fight against the use of government force against the rights and liberties of the individual if that individual has not infringed upon the rights of others. In other words, freedom. Because being free is what matters in the end. I think it's pretty condescending and arrogant to think that you can force your definitions onto everyone just because you think it's right. Ignoring the rights and liberties of the individual to push forward your own authoritative agenda.
    I used to actually care more about the individual, then I went in the military and realized a successful society is a team effort. If one section breaks down, everything and everyone is affected. It's funny people try and say this is anti-American and that is crap. The founders did not agree as John Adams and Thomas Jefferson would tell you.

    So in the end I don't think redefining marriage is good for society (or even better) the society I am a contributing member of.

    I guess I am more a John Adams type after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #594
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I used to actually care more about the individual, then I went in the military and realized a successful society is a team effort. If one section breaks down, everything and everyone is affected. It's funny people try and say this is anti-American and that is crap. The founders did not agree as John Adams and Thomas Jefferson would tell you.

    So in the end I don't think redefining marriage is good for society (or even better) the society I am a contributing member of.

    I guess I am more a John Adams type after all.
    Probably. John Adams wanted a strong central government with a strong central bank. Many say the America we have now, with the States having virtually no power and the federal government/fed system as it is was the dream of Adams. But in the end, society has no rights; only individuals have rights. I don't see how allowing gays to marry can do anything to "society". Gay people being allowed to marry isn't going to collapse society, and it's absolutely absurd to think so.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #595
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I agree.

    As soon as they call it something other than a marriage, they will have my full support.
    You do realize that gay marriage is as old or older than Christianity, right? Even a couple Roman emporers were married to men. Other than your religious beliefs, I don't know why you feel entitled to the word "marriage". And if it does have to do with your religious beliefs, then why do you feel entitled to use the state to impose your beliefs on others?

    Help me understand how social conservatives think. Why do you feel justified in using the government to impose your particular moral standards?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-06-11 at 04:03 PM.

  6. #596
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Probably. John Adams wanted a strong central government with a strong central bank. Many say the America we have now, with the States having virtually no power and the federal government/fed system as it is was the dream of Adams. But in the end, society has no rights; only individuals have rights. I don't see how allowing gays to marry can do anything to "society". Gay people being allowed to marry isn't going to collapse society, and it's absolutely absurd to think so.
    I don't think it will collapse society, why would someone say something that stupid? I didn't. I said it would be bad for society, as if we don't have enough problems with morals in our country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #597
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You do realize that gay marriage is as old or older than Christianity, right? Even a couple Roman emporers were married to men. Other than your religious beliefs, I don't know why you feel entitled to the word "marriage". And if it does have to do with your religious beliefs, then why do you feel entitled to use the state to impose your beliefs on others?

    Help me understand how social conservatives think. Why do you feel justified in using the government to impose your particular moral standards?
    You mite as well ask me to explain why I believe in God. All I can say is because I see it as just one more immoral act trying to gain social acceptance. Hell, we have people now saying incest is OK. Just look back at a few of the threads.

    I will not support a redefining of marriage to mean gay couples, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #598
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't think it will collapse society, why would someone say something that stupid? I didn't. I said it would be bad for society, as if we don't have enough problems with morals in our country.
    And allowing gays to marry is somehow going to make up more immoral?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #599
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And allowing gays to marry is somehow going to make up more immoral?
    Yes it will, by allowing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #600
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes it will, by allowing it.
    It's only morally wrong because of your religion. Which isn't even a little important to me.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •