View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #461
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes their is, you just don't want to acknowledge it as such.
    There has not been an argument against same sex marriage under the Marriage License which has supported the rights and liberties of the individual. Without that, you can have no just argument.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #462
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,770

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    really. your drivers license is contract?
    Strawman again and more circle talk, but the answer under the LAW is absolutley YES.The definition of license under the law is a contract.

    Its a contract between you and the DMV of your state, if you violate said contract that license can be removed from you.

    a marriage is a contract period, there is no changing this fact no matter how much you cry about it and circle talk
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #463
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,770

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    while it certainly seems reasonable to suppose that they may be a better solution than single parents; i would argue there simpy isn't enough evidence yet on the viability, favorability, or stability of homosexual couples as parents.
    and you would be wrong, this has already be proven by CC
    not to mention it again is a straw man

    there is still no sound reason to stop gay marriage and it is about equality
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #464
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,770

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes their is, you just don't want to acknowledge it as such.
    Not to stop them there isnt, they have all been throughly debunked.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #465
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    on the contrary, stare decisis is one of the underpinnings of our legal system.
    It's not an underpinning, if stare decisis somehow evaporated, the court system wouldn't collapse. It's a good basis by which one can decide current action. However, it does not mean we cannot change or recognize the rights of others. We move forward and evolve, and we can compare precedent to knowledge and decide if precedent should rule. It doesn't always.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    sorry but no; the Lochner era was struck down by the SCOTUS switch in the 1930's. you may argue that we still have it in that it's inalienable - and i would be sympathetic to that claim - but it holds little legal water.

    traded away for a minimum wage....
    There is still right to contract which is recognized currently. You can't just break a contract with no repercussions. That's part of right to contract. You can say that we don't recognize unlimited right to contract, which is true. However, right to contract is still a right and is recognized. And the Marriage License is a contract. That's the end all be all of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    this is what's called a non-falsifiable thesis. i could just as easily declare that there was no rational argument in favor of homosexua marriage. viola, any arguments for that policy change are now by definition irrational and need not be answered. so on and so forth.

    well, that or it's a positive claim of a negative; which is preeeettty difficult to pull off; perhaps you could cite for us the conservative writers you have read on this issue, their main arguments, and what irrationalities you find in each of them?
    You could say that, you just couldn't back it up as I can make an argument for same sex marriage which fully recognizes and respects the rights and liberties of the individual. As the Marriage license exists, and the right to contract exists. There is no argument against same sex marriage which would not infringe upon the rights of others. Thus there is no just argument. Government force against an individual who has not infringed upon the rights of others is a form a tyranny; tyranny is not just.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #466
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, you cherry picked the information.
    You expressly asked me for my belief, so naturally I gave information which expressed my belief. The source happened to have information in addition to what was relevant to your question, but that doesn't matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Words in Webster's Dictionary may have mulitple definitions.
    Which is why I quoted only wat was relevant to my belief. Why would I post all this other information when it's not relevant to the answer? You wanted to know what I thought the difference was, and so that's what I tried to tell you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    One of those definitions for Gender happens to be "Sex". You chose to omit that because it invalidated your argument. While medically the two words may have seperate meanings, by their definitions Gender can be used to be indicating ones Sex.
    Gender and sex are closely related, yes, but they are not the exact same thing. The words are even spelled differently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    While I fully identify and acknowledge that there's a significant difference between the two when viewed from the medical world, common vernacular...even coming from government entities...uses them somewhat interchangably.
    As I originally said, it's important to distinguish between the two as they are not the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As to the issue with the pre-op transexual...there's no clear cut answer for that. Some states, or even cities, allow for people to change their legal status prior to surgery, others don't. Still, others outright don't allow it while some have not even addressed the issue yet. There seems to be no consistant reference to the information on ones birth certificate as to whether its a "sex" or "gender" identification, as information about it continually switches between the two interchangably as per the common vernacular.
    Are you suggesting we use the terms as used by the states DP's servers are physically located in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This is you being annoyed because apparently some time ago, likely in an argument that was not about the use of the word but something far more reaching, you got schooled on the subject. As such, you're trying to jab it into another discussion where the implication of what's being talked about is clear, simply because you have a burr up your backside over the issue.
    More trolling. Good job, Moderator

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You suggested it would be sex discrimination, not gender discrimination. I was wanting you to actually take a step beyond simply throwing out random statements without backing it up and actually explain your statement. It took a bit of time, but it seems you finally have now.
    All because you had to get your panties in a knot over me cautioning you to be clear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You state it as if it is an absolute, when in reality it is not. It varies state to state. For example, in Texas, even if you made that post-op it would still not legally matter as Texas has ruled that surgery can not change ones sex/gender under the law. Alternatively, if a place allowed for changing ones legal sex status prior to surgery...as New York contemplated in 2006...then again the marriage should actually be able to go forward.

    Regardless, if you wish, when you read my statements of "gender discrimination" you can feel free to read it as "sex descrimination". Commonly speaking with regards to the law they are typically used interchangably, even by government groups that watch over said discrimination.
    All of that was me trying to express the difference. you asked a question, I was answering it. Yes things very from state to state, no ****. You asked for how I saw them as different and I tried explaining it. You pay way to much attention to the peripheral data not relevant to the immediate point at hand; a form of debate A.D.D.

  7. #467
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Strawman again and more circle talk, but the answer under the LAW is absolutley YES.The definition of license under the law is a contract.

    Its a contract between you and the DMV of your state, if you violate said contract that license can be removed from you.

    a marriage is a contract period, there is no changing this fact no matter how much you cry about it and circle talk
    Unfortunately, the drivers license is a contract. You have to consent to a wide variety of things to obtain one, including intrusive DUI laws.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #468
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,770

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There has not been an argument against same sex marriage under the Marriage License which has supported the rights and liberties of the individual. Without that, you can have no just argument.
    among other reasons this is true, there are no sound, reasonable, logical, non-bias, non-selfish, non-arrogant, non-hypercritical, non anti-american non-discriminative reasons are there to "Stop" gay marriage.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #469
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    really. your drivers license is contract?
    Yes, a driver's license is a contract.

    In exchange for paying a token fee and agreeing to certain rules, I can use the roads.

    People tend to forget that Marriage is not a private contract, however, even though it can be confidential. A marriage license is not like drawing up an agreement between 2 people and having it notarized at Kinko's. That would be a strictly private legal contract. With marriage, the State is very much involved, and through the State, the voting public.

  10. #470
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    With marriage, the State is very much involved, and through the State, the voting public.
    Aye, and the State is forbidden from discrimination. If it were private contract, it could be restricted as anyone feels fit. But since it's not, it MUST be open to all; including same-sex couples.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •