View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 45 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #441
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    government is a tool by which society crafts legal institutions that recognize the preexistant social institution of marriage. however, tools are not one and the same as yourself; especially tools that are self-automated, such as government. that's hardly self-contraditory.

  2. #442
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is not nearly the whole reason. It isn't even the biggest reason.
    I'd love to know the biggest reason.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #443
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I set you up

    Don't troll a troll
    HAHAHAHAHA
    funny post!

    But im not buying that ****!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #444
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Municipally issued license, specifically.
    Which is a legal contract
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #445
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Considering the poll options, it would be about marriage as a legal construct. Rights in this country are recognized and protected by the laws of this country. Government is a tool of society and works as society directs, therefore your last sentence is meaningless. It's like saying the body changes where the hand goes, the hand is not free to change where the body goes. It's nonsense, they are both part of the same whole.

    More common sense
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #446
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That was true up until the point in which the Marriage License came into existence. At that point, it left social institution behind and became contract. And the individual has right to contract.


    good now I dont have to say the obvious
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #447
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No you're correct, you caught me. I, and the American Psychological Association, were wrong.

    I promise to use more credible sources like NARTH in the future.
    Well, your first attempt was an utter failure...you're second is better, from a medical stand point. However, neither really touch on legal definition which is the only one that would truly matter.

    However, even assuming your point is true legally...

    Please explain how it is NOT gender discrimination even given your cherry picking of what definition you wish to take.

    It may be sex discrimination, but discrimination can be multi-folded. IE, someone discriminating against black teenagers would be discriminating based on race and based on age.

    Also, please explain how marriage would be sex discrimination, not gender discrimination in your mind.

  8. #448
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    except that substantive right to contract hasn't existed (thank you supreme court!) since the 1930's. your argument is 80 years out of date.

  9. #449
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    except that substantive right to contract hasn't existed (thank you supreme court!) since the 1930's. your argument is 80 years out of date.
    Better than being rooted in the Dark Ages. Yet the right to contract does exist, and so long as the Marriage License exists; there is no rational and just argument against same sex marriage.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #450
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, your first attempt was an utter failure...you're second is better, from a medical stand point. However, neither really touch on legal definition which is the only one that would truly matter.
    My first "attempt" was fine, it gave the information needed. Despite how many times you've been in threads like these you somehow never learned that there's a difference between sex and gender. Not sure how that happened but it was pointed out to me by Capt'n Courtesy a few years ago, so there was a point in time I didn't know either.

    Only accounting for legal terms is just another silly game on your part, and I know this because your gender doesn't matter in determining what part of a jail you can use; that's determined by your sex. If you're a pre-op transsexual male to female, despite having always identified as a woman you will be placed with men.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Please explain how it is NOT gender discrimination even given your cherry picking of what definition you wish to take.
    More silly games and trolling. I expected no better from a mod. Good to see you come down to our level. You know that I haven't cherry picked anything in years, you just like accusing people of random **** to get a rise out of them.

    Anyway, I don't think I ever claimed that a gay-marriage ban discriminated against gender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It may be sex discrimination, but discrimination can be multi-folded. IE, someone discriminating against black teenagers would be discriminating based on race and based on age.
    I don't care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Also, please explain how marriage would be sex discrimination, not gender discrimination in your mind.
    The law does not require one person to identify as a man and the other to identify as a woman. The law only requires one person to have a penis and the other have a vagina. Today, a regular lesbian woman could marry a pre-op male-to-female transsexual man who identifies as a woman. No problem. Their genders are both female, but because their sexes are different they could marry.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-05-11 at 12:18 PM.

Page 45 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •