View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #411
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Sure I'd be happy to give you my personal religious belief on what "sex" and "gender" are.

    The Book of Webster, 16: 9-14:



    Also, from the Book of Merriam: 12:3-8:
    uhm I only see your definition of sex? not gender?

    go to another pager of thou great book of websters and look up gender

    notice, definition 2 says <big dramatic pause>





    SEX




    Gender - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #412
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You probably won't want to look into that too much. hehehe
    :p probably not. there are people on this forum whom i've been talking with for.... yeesh, 7 years now? they could definitely out me - no doubt at one point i, too, thought that merely typing something constituted a 'response'. how time does fly...

    Marriage itself is a commitment between two people, legally it is a contract as the Marriage License is a government issued and recognized contract. Nothing he said was incorrect. Legaly marriage is in fact, no matter how much you wish it wasn't, a contract.
    it strikes me that whether or not the licenses predate the social institution is a bit of an a priori argument here.

    i'd like to hear your argument for it.

  3. #413
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Sure I'd be happy to give you my personal religious belief on what "sex" and "gender" are.

    The Book of Webster, 16: 9-14:



    Also, from the Book of Merriam: 12:3-8:
    so they are the same just like Zyphlin said and you did not, thanks
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #414
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Marriage has thousands(literally) of benefits and privileges written into US law. To claim it is just a social institution is incredibly false.
    i didn't claim "just" a social institution, i claimed it was a social institution, upon which we have built (among other things) a licensing system. but that system does not preexist the institution upon which it was built, anymore than a church's tax-exempt status predates Christianity.

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    uhm I only see your definition of sex? not gender?

    go to another pager of thou great book of websters and look up gender

    notice, definition 2 says <big dramatic pause>





    SEX




    Gender - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    You have to already believe in science in order to properly interpret technical scientific definitions. If you don't first have faith, then you will not understand.

  6. #416
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    it strikes me that whether or not the licenses predate the social institution is a bit of an a priori argument here.

    i'd like to hear your argument for it.
    For what? The license predating the social institution? It doesn't. The founding fathers did not have to ask government's permission to get married (which is what the Marriage License really is, and what it was originally intended to be). I don't know what you want me to argue for. But whether the chicken came first or not is inconsequential to the current debate on hand. What does matter is that the government did usurp marriage for its own. What does matter is that the Marriage License is real, and it really is a government issued and recognized contract. Once government took it, it left all other realms and exists now in any legal sense only as a legal contract.

    None of the arguments are to make society accept same sex marriage. The arguments are along the line of free exercise of one's right to contract.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #417
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You have to already believe in science in order to properly interpret technical scientific definitions. If you don't first have faith, then you will not understand.
    translation: you were wrong and misspoke, thanks
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #418
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    For what? The license predating the social institution? It doesn't. The founding fathers did not have to ask government's permission to get married (which is what the Marriage License really is, and what it was originally intended to be). I don't know what you want me to argue for. But whether the chicken came first or not is inconsequential to the current debate on hand. What does matter is that the government did usurp marriage for its own. What does matter is that the Marriage License is real, and it really is a government issued and recognized contract. Once government took it, it left all other realms and exists now in any legal sense only as a legal contract.

    None of the arguments are to make society accept same sex marriage. The arguments are along the line of free exercise of one's right to contract.
    dont get involved in his double talk its a waste of time, he will dodge and beat around the bush all day while logic common sense and reality just go right over his head. Its a tatic to get off topic thats all, its none sense, thats why I told him stay on topic of im done. The topic is equality or special right or other.

    It is in fact a fight for equality and its about discrimination and how in this case theres no good reason to discriminate.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #419
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    :p probably not. there are people on this forum whom i've been talking with for.... yeesh, 7 years now? they could definitely out me - no doubt at one point i, too, thought that merely typing something constituted a 'response'. how time does fly...



    it strikes me that whether or not the licenses predate the social institution is a bit of an a priori argument here.

    i'd like to hear your argument for it.
    The "social institution" predates the actual, physical contract (the license), but the institution itself is not the same as the way we see it today. It has only been recently that most marriages were based on love between the two involved. In fact, especially for the more affluent of society, marriage was an unwritten contract between families. The woman was the property of the man. There are even marriages today that are prearranged, even in our own country. There are many parents who will not support a marriage between their son or daughter to a woman or man who is not of the "proper" class or upbringing.

    The only difference in today's legal marriage and what marriage originally was is that today there is written proof that both parties agree to the marriage and the wife is no longer the property of the husband. The personal marriage is very different than what it originally was. Generally, love developed between the couple after the wedding vows, if it developed at all, except for a small minority of people in many cultures worldwide.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #420
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If civil unions are different from marriage, then this is an entirely unacceptable solution. If it is the same as marriage, then it is a stupid solution since there is no point in calling two of the same thing different names to appease a few people.
    Husband and wife are typically defined by gender, but less and less so and it is not necessary.
    That would be the majority of the american people at present.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •