View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 35 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #341
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Look at any poll, and it will say that young people are for SSM. And just because someone gets older, doesn't mean that they will suddenly change against it. Just like people for the Civil rights movement didn't suddenly become racist, and against it when they got older. Society changes, and our society has become more, and more socially liberal for years. You can't deny that.
    and yet people have become more pro-life. i agree it will be interesting to see which one of those trends dominates the homosexual-marriage bit. i tend to suspect you are right but for reasons you fail to identify; marriage as a whole has been discredited for our generation.

  2. #342
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Majority vote, if people voted on integration of schools when the SCOTUS voted on it, then it would have failed miserably.
    majority of WHOM. the early late 19th Century, for example, contained plenty of evidence that the SuperMajority of Americans who voted for the 14th Amendment saw it as desegregating government institutions.

  3. #343
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and yet people have become more pro-life. i agree it will be interesting to see which one of those trends dominates the homosexual-marriage bit. i tend to suspect you are right but for reasons you fail to identify; marriage as a whole has been discredited for our generation.
    Link? And generally the new generation is more socially liberal than the last. That encompasses all social issues.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #344
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    majority of WHOM. the early late 19th Century, for example, contained plenty of evidence that the SuperMajority of Americans who voted for the 14th Amendment saw it as desegregating government institutions.
    Majority of the people when the ruling was made.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #345
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually i have a degree in history.
    well thats embrassing for you then



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually the vast majority of humanity is against all those things; and has been generally since the beginning of time. the 19th Century West was the first major culture in human history - for example - to do away with Slavery. the exceptions are the story, and always we seem to find Christianity at the forefront of the push for human freedom and dignity. Christians owned slaves? everyone owned slaves; only Christians ever gave them up. Christians mistreated non socially dominant groups? Everyone mistreated non socially doiminant groups; only Christians have ever faced beatings and worse to stand with them. The genders were considered as unequal as the ethnicities? Always the genders have been as inequal as the ethnicities, only the Christians ever argued that in the truest sense of our being there was no difference between male or female, jew or greek. it is no coincidence that the abolition and civil rights movements both came out of the churches.
    ho hum more of nothing




    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    you are supposed to be one? you are? you are not?
    well my church is



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    :sighs: since i don't believe that there is such a thing as the positive right to force the people to issue you a marriage license irrespective of whether or not you meet the qualifications, your point remains based upon a fallacious assumption. if i argued that homosexuals (for example) did not have the right to petition or argue in the public square to have the qualifications changed - THAT would be hypocritical.
    Translation: You have a BS hollow excuse for your hypocrisy.
    Heres a question if you hade to vote for gay rights tomorrow and gay marriage would you vote to allow it or disallow it.



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    odd, then, isn't it, that you are the one who feels the need to be abusive.
    abusive? LMAO hahahahahahahahaha

    why cause I dont let you question dodge, call BS on you, point out you inaccuracies in your logic and dont buy your spin?

    then yes im abusive to you



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    in fact i do not. you are a most disagreeable person to discuss this with. Your Star disagrees with me easily as strongly as yourself (perhaps more) but at least she keeps it civil and feels no need to engage in personal attacks; despite the fact that this issue undoubtedly cuts to that which is extremely important to her.
    Oh yes I personally attacked you tons, my apologies if your that thin skinned for someone that wants to discriminate against people, deny them equal rights and act like they have no right to say anything about it.

    Its also very important to me and should be to everyone who is against discrimination.

    By the way you don't want to answer the questions because you cant and know you will be further exposed.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #346
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and yet people have become more pro-life. i agree it will be interesting to see which one of those trends dominates the homosexual-marriage bit. i tend to suspect you are right but for reasons you fail to identify; marriage as a whole has been discredited for our generation.
    I don't think the pro-life comparison really works. One of the things I believe works toward gay acceptance is more exposure to gays. Back in the 70's, almost no one knew any one who was openly gay, so it was easy to think the worst about them. Now, most people know gay people, and it is harder to make those same faulty assumptions.

    Younger people are more open to new ideas, and have been around gays more, and as such are more accepting of gays and I don't see that changing. It's not a political philosophy that is up to re-evaluation with age, it's about whether people are comfortable with gays.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #347
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Majority of the people when the ruling was made.
    people of what? the nation? the state? there is room to argue that the supermajority of the nation meant to desegregate government facilities (which would include public schools) as part and parcel of the 14th Amendment; as that is what they set about to doing before the Supreme Court ruling reversed them.
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-04-11 at 12:43 AM.

  8. #348
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Link?
    More Americans Pro Life than Pro Choice for the First Time

    Younger Voters Trend More Pro-Life

    what i found interesting in that last one was that the 18-29 age group was the most likely of all the cohorts to say that Abortion should be illegal in any circumstance. I think much of our generation will include a general rejection of the Boomers.
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-04-11 at 12:30 AM.

  9. #349
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    well thats embrassing for you then
    not really. it was from a fairly decent college and has served me well; though admittedly it prepared me better for my masters' program than for most professions (though I was fortunate to find one where it did).

    ho hum more of nothing
    is that sort of your way of saying you have no response?

    well my church is
    which means nothing. you said you were "supposed" to be a Christian. is this your parents church and you are obligated to go? did you put this duty on yourself?

    Translation: You have a BS hollow excuse for your hypocrisy.
    do you support the right of children to marry? why? do you hate children? why do you support the right of gays to marry, but not children? your hypocracy rings so hollow.....

    Heres a question if you hade to vote for gay rights tomorrow and gay marriage would you vote to allow it or disallow it.
    full gay rights. every American should have equal treatment before the law. keep marriage defined as it is.

    abusive?
    yes. you seek to belittle presumably because you haven't actually thought very deeply about this issue, and need to cover. unfortunately, it sort of just makes you look.... childish.

    Its also very important to me and should be to everyone who is against discrimination.
    says the person who hates children.

    did it ever occur to you that perhaps well meaning men and women might actually disagree?

    By the way you don't want to answer the questions because you cant and know you will be further exposed.
    alright, what question am i so afraid of?
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-04-11 at 12:39 AM.

  10. #350
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,109

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I don't think the pro-life comparison really works. One of the things I believe works toward gay acceptance is more exposure to gays. Back in the 70's, almost no one knew any one who was openly gay, so it was easy to think the worst about them. Now, most people know gay people, and it is harder to make those same faulty assumptions.
    perhaps our differing predictions here stem also from our differing assumptions of the issue at hand; with you seeking out the "civil rights" parallel and myself seeking out the "sexual issue" parallel. i think in particular, though, when people marry and have children they tend to lose their tendency towards support of homosexual marriage; though I admit off hand I have no data to back up my presumption.

    does anyone have a good breakdown of the voting records from the States that have put Homosexual Marriage on the ballot?

Page 35 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •