View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 34 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #331
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    that's how it's been since at least Mondale. as people age, get married, and have children, they tend to become more conservative.
    Economically, I would probably say so, but socially no. People who supported social issues such as integration, and the Civil Rights movement, didn't change their ways, and become against those things once they became older. The same will happen with SSM, my generation supports it, and once we become an important influence in the political scene, it will become law, (if not sooner than that), and it will not be a liberal, conservative issue, it will just be a fact of life. Just like integration is today.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #332
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yep, the rights of minorities would be a lost cause if left up to the majority.
    majority where? of what? you realize that that Bill of Rights (and all subsequent Amendments) is, in fact, something that was left up to a (super)majority?

  3. #333
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually Chrisitan were at the forefront of all these things. particuarly Civil Rights. which makes sense; as the notion of the fundamental equality of man is a Christian concept.
    Do you have selective memory or something? What fantasy world are you from.
    Yes the Christians that you CHOOSE to remember LMAO

    There were also PLENTY of Christians AGAINST all those things and used the same bible for their reasons.

    Now unlike irrational people I dont blame Christians or GROUP them all together, hell im supposed to be one Im just saying your statement is only HALF true because many Christians were not so you point is MOOT and still does NOT address any questions, its merely a deflection.



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    odd, isn't it, that that is precisely what the "anti" homosexual movement people also say. what wonderful Founding Ideals we have that everyone seeks to claim them while denying them to their opponents.

    mind you, that's also part and parcel of the Fundamental Assumption fallacy....but hey , it's common enough.

    you might get a kick out of reading something posted elsewhere (i entitled it my resignation from the Religious Right)
    more of NOTHING that address the questions and realities you choose to dodge and ignore




    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    indeed i might not; as many Christians around the world are not. i wouldn't even say that we are lucky, I would say that we are blessed and that with that comes responsibility to A) use those freedoms wisely and B) see to it that others come to gain the freedoms that we have been given.
    WOW?????????
    except gays obviously LMAO wow you are blind to you own hypocrisy


    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    if either of our rights were being attacked that would indeed be very different from the homosexual marriage debate.
    Wake up! "OUR" rights are being attacked, "our" AMERICAN rights, gays are AMERICANS and I fight the good fight with them, you obviously choose not to and would let others repress and discriminate against them.

    Im sorry but thats the REALITY no matter what spin you choose to put on it.

    Now, you want to answer my questions or not
    Last edited by AGENT J; 01-03-11 at 10:58 PM. Reason: HORRENDOUS TYPING ERRORS :D
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #334
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Economically, I would probably say so, but socially no.
    socially as well. the abortion issue, for example, has been trending the pro-life movement's way for a few years, now. whether gay marriage follows the same path i don't know; i only know that the trend is against it rather than for it.

  5. #335
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    majority where? of what? you realize that that Bill of Rights (and all subsequent Amendments) is, in fact, something that was left up to a (super)majority?
    Majority vote, if people voted on integration of schools when the SCOTUS voted on it, then it would have failed miserably.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #336
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    socially as well. the abortion issue, for example, has been trending the pro-life movement's way for a few years, now. whether gay marriage follows the same path i don't know; i only know that the trend is against it rather than for it.
    Look at any poll, and it will say that young people are for SSM. And just because someone gets older, doesn't mean that they will suddenly change against it. Just like people for the Civil rights movement didn't suddenly become racist, and against it when they got older. Society changes, and our society has become more, and more socially liberal for years. You can't deny that.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #337
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    if i was hiding i wouldn't exactly be in the thread, nor have let your star pull me into this side debate that detracts from the actual OP.
    Talk all you want yet you kep dodging the questions



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no, you are confusing what was acually done through Constitutional amendment, legal statutory issuance, and Supreme Court ruling. the three are in no way all representative of a supermajority of the people expressed as such via the Constitution.
    WRONG, what that is, is YOU trying to back pedal and reformat and restate you blanket statement of the constitution if for the people and for the super majority of them which you are in fact wrong, it does not have to be



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no, merely a flaw in your approach. you seem to have a race = sexuality assumption, and your arguments stem from the apparent belief that i do, too.
    WRONG that would you ASSuming. I see race and gender and sexuality has what the in fact are, EQUAL rights, You are free to see them each how you want, I have no belief or care how YOU see them because I know what they are.
    Last edited by AGENT J; 01-03-11 at 11:00 PM. Reason: more of the same
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #338
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Majority vote, if people voted on integration of schools when the SCOTUS voted on it, then it would have failed miserably.
    same with interracial marriage

    dont have stats on minority rights or women rights but my GUESS is they follow suit
    Last edited by AGENT J; 01-03-11 at 10:59 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #339
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Do you have selective memory or something? What fantsy world are you from.
    actually i have a degree in history.

    There were also PLENTY of christians AGAINST all those things and used the same bible for their reasons.
    actually the vast majority of humanity is against all those things; and has been generally since the beginning of time. the 19th Century West was the first major culture in human history - for example - to do away with Slavery. the exceptions are the story, and always we seem to find Christianity at the forefront of the push for human freedom and dignity. Christians owned slaves? everyone owned slaves; only Christians ever gave them up. Christians mistreated non socially dominant groups? Everyone mistreated non socially doiminant groups; only Christians have ever faced beatings and worse to stand with them. The genders were considered as unequal as the ethnicities? Always the genders have been as inequal as the ethnicities, only the Christians ever argued that in the truest sense of our being there was no difference between male or female, jew or greek. it is no coincidence that the abolition and civil rights movements both came out of the churches.

    Now unlike irratinoal people I dont blame chrsitians or GROUP them all together, hell im supposed to be one
    you are supposed to be one? you are? you are not?

    more of NOTHING that adress the questions and relities you choose to dodge and ignore

    WOW?????????
    except gays obviously LMAO wow you are blind to you own hypocrisy
    :sighs: since i don't believe that there is such a thing as the positive right to force the people to issue you a marriage license irrespective of whether or not you meet the qualifications, your point remains based upon a fallacious assumption. if i argued that homosexuals (for example) did not have the right to petition or argue in the public square to have the qualifications changed - THAT would be hypocritical.

    Wake up! "OUR" rights are bieing attacked, "our" AMERICAN rights, gays are AMERICANS and I fight the good fight with them, you obviously choose not to and would let others repress and discriminate against them.
    odd, then, isn't it, that you are the one who feels the need to be abusive.

    Im sorry but thats the REALITY no matter what spin you choose to put on it.

    Now, you want to answer my questions or not
    in fact i do not. you are a most disagreeable person to discuss this with. Your Star disagrees with me easily as strongly as yourself (perhaps more) but at least she keeps it civil and feels no need to engage in personal attacks; despite the fact that this issue undoubtedly cuts to that which is extremely important to her.

  10. #340
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Majority vote, if people voted on integration of schools when the SCOTUS voted on it, then it would have failed miserably.
    as i said, they made the wrong decision for the right reasons. with the exception of the doll research; which generally did not say at what SCOTUS drew from it.

Page 34 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •