View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 30 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #291
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    again this is pure dishonest rubish, we send people that break the law to jail, techinincally thats discriminating against criminals
    indeed it is. we discriminate, for example, in that we do not grant the same freedom of movement to people who steal cars as we do to people who do not steal cars.

    guess we should let them all free huh?
    when have i ever said that discrimination is bad? as your example of the criminal ably highligts; discrimination is, in fact, necessary to the functioning of society.

    I am fine with the definition of marriage being between Human consenting adults, that include polygamy if they can figure out how to regulate it and to be honest if a group of SCIENTISTS proved that there arent any dangers to incest then it that wouldnt bother me either BUT the reality is it DOES do harm. Amish here in PA are having a real issue with it.
    interesting. so you are willing to remove marriage from a man who is cousin to his female fiance based on what their children and grandchildren theoretically might do? you are willing to ground the proper definition (limits) of marriage this solidly in the ability to have healthy children through sexual reproduction?

  2. #292
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Social acceptance cannot be forced by any law.
    that is correct. adultery, for example, remains rather publicly taboo despite the fact that it is legal. and it's why I think - should they ever succeed - that homosexual marriage advocates are in for some disappointment.

  3. #293
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    equality before the law is already here. social equality... well it's coming along slowly; but most aren't yet willing to translate that into altering the definition of marriage to include homosexual couples as the 'equal' in that social institution to heterosexual ones. and that is true in every single state thus far (even blue california) that the matter has been put to the people.



    well that's a rather different discussion; but i would posit that it is likely because the death row inmate has chosen in this instance to follow the law and submit an application that meets the state requirements for receiving a marriage license, whereas a homosexual couple (assuming two members of the same gender) has not.
    Equality under the law is not here, if that were so, then I could get married to the person I want. But I can't. And that is discrimination. And like I said, it is the older generation that is uncomfortable with homosexuality, but my generation isn't, and if we voted in larger numbers this battle would be over in the next election cycle.

    So a death row inmates right to marriage surpasses my right to marriage?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #294
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    that is correct. adultery, for example, remains rather publicly taboo despite the fact that it is legal. and it's why I think - should they ever succeed - that homosexual marriage advocates are in for some disappointment.
    Why would I be disappointed when SSM becomes law. In fact, it will be a celebratory moment.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #295
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Social acceptance cannot be forced by any law. It took decades for interracial marriages to become socially acceptable by most people even after Loving v. VA made all interracial marriage legal in all states. What is legal is not always popular, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be legal.
    Sadly this is true, the majority of America didnt accept interracial marriage until 1992!!!!
    I find this sad and those so called Americans should be embarrassed of themselves.

    California made it legal in 1948, the whole country was on board 1967 (72% of the US was still against it)
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #296
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    so are powers of attorney
    That it is, and you wouldn't say that a dude can't pick another dude to hold his power of attorney, now would you? No, because right to contract is right to contract; and that's the end all be all of it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #297
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Equality under the law is not here, if that were so, then I could get married to the person I want. But I can't. And that is discrimination. And like I said, it is the older generation that is uncomfortable with homosexuality, but my generation isn't, and if we voted in larger numbers this battle would be over in the next election cycle.

    So a death row inmates right to marriage surpasses my right to marriage?
    both of you have equal 'right to marriage'. so long as you follow the law when applying for a marriage license.

    it seems that all you know how (or wish) to have here is the "gays should or should not have the ability to recieve marriage licenses for their relationships' argument. do you have an actual reply to the original question that i have missed?

  8. #298
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    indeed it is. we discriminate, for example, in that we do not grant the same freedom of movement to people who steal cars as we do to people who do not steal cars.
    correct something that has no merrit in this debate



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    when have i ever said that discrimination is bad? as your example of the criminal ably highligts; discrimination is, in fact, necessary to the functioning of society.
    agreed but no merrit to topic at hand its a strawman
    next



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    interesting. so you are willing to remove marriage from a man who is cousin to his female fiance based on what their children and grandchildren theoretically might do? you are willing to ground the proper definition (limits) of marriage this solidly in the ability to have healthy children through sexual reproduction?
    no the answer is I dont know, because scientifically I dont know the affects, at one time it was legal and the american way, laws changed it for reasons they deemed to be unsafe, and the amish who still do it are having MAJOR problems because of it

    so unless you know the sciences on it and YOU dont, thats an entirely DIFFERENT debate LMAO

    not allowing gay marriage is still discrimination and a WRONG one because its an equal rights issues and theres no victim like I said.

    so you gonna man up and answer my questions or keep dodging
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #299
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    that is correct. adultery, for example, remains rather publicly taboo despite the fact that it is legal. and it's why I think - should they ever succeed - that homosexual marriage advocates are in for some disappointment.
    We're equal rights advocates and I wont be dissappointed ill be proud that my country made yet another positive step forward and rid our society of yet another unfair discrimination.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #300
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Why would I be disappointed when SSM becomes law. In fact, it will be a celebratory moment.
    because nothing will have really changed (you yourself might be ecstatic, i don't know). society will feel exactly the same way it did the day before-hand; if anything there may be backlash (one of the downsides of representative government; you can't run roughshod over the expressed will of the people without them getting all uppity about it).

    my (adoptive) sister, for example, lives in the world where she will be married one day. except that she also sees her mom helping her pick a dress. and her dad walking her down the aisle. and getting married by my dad (who is a methodist minister). and getting married in the church where we were children. but if her marriage is a lesbian one, then none of these things will happen, irrespective of whether or not the Supreme Court (or whomever) has altered the definition of marriage... but that's something she has no desire to face and so she chooses not to. until she has to. and that will be a series of disappointing days for her when she realizes that "gay marriage" isn't some kind of "easy" fix-all button.

Page 30 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •