View Poll Results: What is same sex marriage?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • A special right

    109 56.77%
  • Equal protection

    62 32.29%
  • Other

    21 10.94%
Page 26 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 976

Thread: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

  1. #251
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    aye aye capn crunch.




    {sigh} opinion.







    Fine, how bout a little linky. Your star tricked me into watching rachel maddow on youtube. {sigh}



    Once again, how bout a link capn linkless. and if I see one more rachel maddow video...........I'm outta there.
    *waits for ban hammer for ignoring a moderators command*
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #252
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    He uses "biological" as a synonym for "intact" just as you do. I've seen countless articles like these. They prove that single parents, divorced families, and step families generally have more problems. They don't prove a thing about whether being biologically related to the parents has anything to do with the adjustment of children. In fact, I bet there wasn't a single gay couple even involved in any of the research the author reviewed. Once again you demonstrate your inability to critically review literature.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-03-11 at 01:36 AM.

  3. #253
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Thank you. I appreciate that. I'll set aside some time this week to read them. I'm interested in their findings.
    Why would you waste your time? You have already admitted that you refuse to accept marriage equality because of your ethnocentrism.

  4. #254
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,698

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    aye aye capn crunch.
    Poor choice.

    {sigh} opinion.
    Wrong. Fact. As I said, nothing you want to hear. Doesn't alter that it's fact.



    Fine, how bout a little linky. Your star tricked me into watching rachel maddow on youtube. {sigh}
    Here's the link to the thread:
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...-children.html

    Your Star posted it correctly. Go to post #265. That's where I start discussing the Schumm study.



    Once again, how bout a link capn linkless. and if I see one more rachel maddow video...........I'm outta there.
    Use the forum correctly. The Maddow video is the first post... that's all. Go to post #265.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #255
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Poor choice.
    Did you ban Dutch?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  6. #256
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,698

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Consistancy is one thing but virtually identical results is something else. here, contrast the results of your studies with these concerning the length of homosexual relationships. These are very similar findings from different studies, but there are variances among them. That is exactly what one expects from different studies from different researchers in differents countries. One would expect to see variations in studies especially those concerning human behavior. I'm not getting that from many of your studies or the ones I'm familiar with. Just why is that and just why aren't you concerned about that too?
    I would be if there were major methodological flaws. There aren't from what I see. One can expect similar results with minimal variance if a hypothesis is correct. This repeatablity indicates validity. It seems to me that the only reason you are questioning this is because it proves your position incorrect.

    Irrelevant. Find me a study that compares gays who are married to straights who are married and then we can talk,

    I'd say the vast majority. You understand that point too. Yet for some reason you don't see a problem. and this after making the same point in an earlier article I offered concerning gays in large cities.
    I don't see a huge issue with this. Firstly, because the studies that DO look at gay men show similar results. And secondly, because if the issue is concerns about single sex parenting, the studies address that.

    Once again, I don't as yet have those links. I agree further research is seriously needed but some of these issues already constitute red flags for sceptics such as myself.
    I'd go FAR beyond the word "skeptic" to describe your concerns.




    Gosh, not according to this article from slate.
    source
    And slate proves me right. I do not believe that any of the studies I presented are from the 1980's... which were the ones that slate indicated were problematic because of divorce. So, again, you are incorrect.

    Well, is this "fact" or "opinion" on your part. If it is a "fact" shouldn't you provide something to support your position or am I to simply accept it as fact......because you say it's so. By the way one or two studies don't constitute "a lot." (that would be an opinion)
    It's fact. But now you are asking me to provide information/links that demonstrate that there is no link between homosexuality and child molestation. This is a pretty big topic... in fact, big enough for an entire new thread. I haven't quite finished schooling you on THIS topic yet, so why don't we just stick to gay parenting for now.

    And two longitudinal studies may not be a lot, but it's two more than the opposition.




    Yes, about all those findings that indicate lesbian couples raise children who are better adjusted than those raised in homes with a mother and a father. This article suggests the "repeatability" of many of these studies exist for a reason....bias on the part of the researchers themselves. Of course we both know that could never happen. (that sarcasm on my part not fact)

    source
    I always love it when people quote Stacy and try to misuse her comments against research that demonstrates that children of gay parents do as well as those of straight parents. Like you... and Slate did above, her comments are misrepresented. Now, I could spend time demonstrating this, but I think it would be MUCH better for you to hear it from the source. Stacey herself:



    And THAT'S for anyone else that tries to misuse Stacey's words.

    Mostly not?? Is that "fact" or your "opinion?" Could you quantify the term "mostly?" Is there any way we can determine the exact figures? Are there large populations of child rearing lesbians out here in the rural areas of the country?
    Firstly, if you look at the studies, demographics are indicated. Secondly, I'm not sure why it matters to you.

    No, I do agree with you on the subject of repeatability. What I do question is that these findings "lesbians raise better behaved children, better adjusted children" without men. This alone puts to question all of those studies over the last 100 years or so that indicated children from homes with a mother and father raised better adjusted and better adapted children. This article references a study by norma radin that supports the idea of the positive influences of males in raising children and suggests one mom is just fine, a second mom could be redundant. Just which set of studies is more valid? They would seem to contradict each other. (that would be me pointing out something you already understand)
    source "]source [/URL]
    Firstly, show me one study over those 100 years that compared two-single-sex parenting to two-opposite-sex parenting. When you do, we can discuss it. Secondly, I read the article and the sources therein. The first example it gives is of from Patricia Morgan who did a study and published it under the name "Children as Trophies". Here is the FIRST line from the forward of her paper:

    Im not in favour of gay couples seeking to adopt children because I
    question whether that is the right start in life.
    That's what you call bias in research. She has already stated her conclusion. Therefore, without any objectivity, I reject her findings. I would expect you would, too. Also, as an aside, her paper was published by The Christian Institute, a British Evangelical pressure group. She cites Cameron () who has been shown to be a liar and have no methodological integrity, she also misrepresents many of the other sources (at least the ones I checked) she cites in a completely biased way, distorting information and data to fit her agenda. Her paper is completely worthless. If anyone wants to waste their time, here is the link:
    http://www.christian.org.uk/pdfpubli...astrophies.pdf

    I haven't gone through all of it. I think it would be an excellent exercise in demonstrating how NOT to do research.

    The next section continues with the misrepresentation of Stacey and Bilbartz. STACEY has already helped me destroy that argument, so moving along...

    Other than that, we have sources that outright state that they reject same-sex marriage and parenting, or distort comparisons. All in all, your source is worthless.
    Well, I don't know about your four factors but this article referenced a study that suggested some researchers have their own ideas about what constitutes "well adjusted."

    source
    Same source. Same worthlessness.

    So......according to your statement fathers aren't needed in rearing children. I disagree (my opinion, not fact) This article references another article that make this point;

    source
    Firstly, I never said that. Secondly, same source, same worthlessness.

    I agree with this one. I believe children need both men and women in order to develop properly. But that's just me, and my opinion.
    And you are entitled to it. I've already told you what I think of your source, and have given you plenty of information to substantiate that. See, Dutch, this is what is known as demonstrating the invalidity of a source through examination. I do not denigrate sources without cause. Your source is meaningless because of how it presents evidence.




    Provided.
    Not provided. You presented two sources, one that made misrepresentations of Stacey's work, and the other that presented faulty research and distortions. These are not sources. Show me STUDIES.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 01-03-11 at 04:06 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #257
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Hey CC, how long did it take for this poll to get messed with?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #258
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,698

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    CC has consistently given many links to studies on homosexuality and homosexuals raising kids through out the time that I have been around DP. If you don't want to look for the ones in the previously provided link just because you wish to throw a hissy fit about watching Maddow then it is your fault.

    BTW, why did you even watch Maddow? Did you seriously think that CC would use her as a frame of reference for this topic? CC might be a lot of things but stupid is not one of them.
    The Maddow video was in the first post of the thread. Dutch didn't bother to scroll.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #259
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,698

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I never suggested it was anything but my opinion. BTW just for grins and giggles you could supply some of that good old fashioned research you keep telling me about. Or am I simply required to accept your word such research is in point of fact firmly on your side of the argument and is incontravertable.







    This isn't a study but is an article that supports my contention fathers and mothers are important in the developement of children. I know, call me crazy to actually put forth the idea that boys and girls need positive role models from both genders in order to develop and become well adjusted adults.






    Those numbers were from the new york times article so many of you objected to. So, I'll give you some wholly new figures to complain about. (you won't like them or the source either but the article refrences all the needed studies)
    source
    Blah, blah, blah. Show a study that compares married straights and married gays. Then we can discuss.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #260
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,698

    Re: Same sex marriage: what is it really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You don't like my source, ok. That source did reference studies that support my contentions. Better yet just what is your premis? I mean other than complaining of my sources. Then provide sources that support your contentions. That would be nice.
    And the studies were meanlingless as I demonstrated. Find some valid ones, please. If you can.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 26 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •