View Poll Results: Is this insane to you?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 2.27%
  • No

    38 86.36%
  • Other

    1 2.27%
  • Rootabega.

    4 9.09%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Being your own person.

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Being your own person.

    I'm pretty conservative, financially. I could probably be driving a newer car and living in a bigger house, but I prefer the idea of paying off my house in the next five years and having zero debt.

    I prefer to live in my own way, on my own resources. I don't think that's a liberal/conservative dichotomy. There are a ton of liberals out there who live very non-materialistic minimalistic lives and are self-supporting.

  2. #12
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    There are many ways to do that when dealing with groups. If the group as a whole is successful, then it has achieved those things you are asking about.
    really? so if you have a group of 10 and 9 of them sponge off of the one, that is a successful group?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #13
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    really? so if you have a group of 10 and 9 of them sponge off of the one, that is a successful group?
    It depends on whether the group maintains cohesion over time on its own power (meaning nobody is forcing the people to stay as a group) and achieves the purpose for which it is created. If it does, then yes it is successful. If not, it is not successful.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 12-30-10 at 12:53 PM.

  4. #14
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I'm pretty conservative, financially. I could probably be driving a newer car and living in a bigger house, but I prefer the idea of paying off my house in the next five years and having zero debt.

    I prefer to live in my own way, on my own resources. I don't think that's a liberal/conservative dichotomy. There are a ton of liberals out there who live very non-materialistic minimalistic lives and are self-supporting.
    a couple of years ago, I refinanced my house almost doubling my mortgage in order to pay it off in 5 years instead of 15. have had to cut back on other things, but in the long run it will be worth it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    a couple of years ago, I refinanced my house almost doubling my mortgage in order to pay it off in 5 years instead of 15. have had to cut back on other things, but in the long run it will be worth it.
    Yep. I drive a 2001 Camry. It looks like crap, but it runs just fine. My goal is to owe no money and travel the world, once my kids are raised and educated.

  6. #16
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yep. I drive a 2001 Camry. It looks like crap, but it runs just fine. My goal is to owe no money and travel the world, once my kids are raised and educated.
    I haven't gotten that far yet. I am still paying off my student loans. The house is next. Good job.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yep. I drive a 2001 Camry. It looks like crap, but it runs just fine. My goal is to owe no money and travel the world, once my kids are raised and educated.
    I supect that if we all revealed our hands, we would discover that some folks who are political liberals do indeed adopt rather conservative life styles and make conservative economic choices. And we would discover that some who are political conservatives have personal habits and economic choices which are not at all conservative.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #18
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I supect that if we all revealed our hands, we would discover that some folks who are political liberals do indeed adopt rather conservative life styles and make conservative economic choices. And we would discover that some who are political conservatives have personal habits and economic choices which are not at all conservative.
    Pretty much, this is why stereotypes often do not work.

  9. #19
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I supect that if we all revealed our hands, we would discover that some folks who are political liberals do indeed adopt rather conservative life styles and make conservative economic choices. And we would discover that some who are political conservatives have personal habits and economic choices which are not at all conservative.


    How insightful.......
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #20
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Being your own person.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    How insightful.......
    Having trouble parsing your post. Do you disagree or do you think he stated the obvious?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •