View Poll Results: Is founding fatherism a religion?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    34 61.82%
  • Yes

    13 23.64%
  • What you say?!

    8 14.55%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 168

Thread: Is founding fatherism a religion?

  1. #151
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    In the name of the founding father, the son and the holy spirit. Amen.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #152
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    But at what cost in the interim?
    Hard to say. Every soceital configuration has a cost as no society can do everything right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    It is also for this very reason that we should stick to what the FF's said about the things that they passed in the Constitution. It provides a way in which reinterpretation cannot be made so that it "fits" a person/group of persons beliefs.
    But there is no objective way to say that any interpretation is best, including the FF's (and individually they had lots of different and often imcompatible ideas anyway, human like the rest of us)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    As the Constitution is based on individual freedoms then no, it should not be the direction that the majority of civilization should go. Other wise you just have mob rule.
    What greater freedom is there than the ability to shape your destiny?

  3. #153
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Hard to say. Every soceital configuration has a cost as no society can do everything right.



    But there is no objective way to say that any interpretation is best, including the FF's (and individually they had lots of different and often imcompatible ideas anyway, human like the rest of us)

    What greater freedom is there than the ability to shape your destiny?

    Actually I think we can easily come up with an objective measure.

    The USA is the wealthiest and most powerful nation on the planet. 2 points for the Founders.
    Citizens of the USA enjoy greater income and more freedom than almost any other nation on the planet. 2 more points for the FF's.
    Most of the problems were are having today can be traced to actions that were taken by 20th-21st c. politicians whose Constitutionality is debateable, such as a massive Fedgov that spends $3 for every $2 it takes in.... game, set and match.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #154
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Actually I think we can easily come up with an objective measure.

    The USA is the wealthiest and most powerful nation on the planet. 2 points for the Founders.
    Citizens of the USA enjoy greater income and more freedom than almost any other nation on the planet. 2 more points for the FF's.
    Most of the problems were are having today can be traced to actions that were taken by 20th-21st c. politicians whose Constitutionality is debateable, such as a massive Fedgov that spends $3 for every $2 it takes in.... game, set and match.
    Except most of these things didn't happen until the late 40s and 50s or later and our budget problems didn't really start until the 80s...

  5. #155
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The USA is the wealthiest and most powerful nation on the planet. 2 points for the Founders.
    The problem is, the founding fathers really had nothing to do with that. The reason we're wealthy and powerful is because we were largely untouched by WWII. Most of the rest of the planet had to rebuild following the war, we didn't. Plus, we had geared our industrial base up during the war and once wartime production stopped, we turned that massive industrial might toward commercial production. We grew, but something that happened in the 1940s and 1950s can hardly be blamed on the founding fathers. Unfortunately, we also squandered that head start that we had, other nations not only caught up to us but surpassed us through the 70s and 80s. There was a time when we were the unsurpassed producer of high-tech products and places like Japan were seen as producing junk electronics. Now... they are the innovators. The same can be said of the automotive market. We had the best cars on the planet. Now, our manufacturers are going out of business or getting massive loans from the government. We don't produce the products we use today. We are not #1. We are not superior. We are no longer a producer economy, but a consumer economy. We buy from everyone else and we borrow money from everyone else.

    How is that wealthy or powerful?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #156
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    It's not so much that I think it needs to be changed (though I could probably come up with things that I think should be changed). It's that I don't think we need to slavishly interpret it the same way that the founding fathers would have. We should interpret it in the way that benefits us as a country most. Here's an example.

    Quite awhile ago, I got into a debate on nationalized healthcare. Whoever I was debating with (I don't remember who it was now) argued that nationalized healthcare because was unconstitutional. I brought up the general welfare clause, and their counter-argument was that the founding fathers intent was not for the general welfare clause to be used that way.

    That's the kind of thing that I have issues with. I don't believe that the founding fathers' intent should trump our intent in cases like that. We should debate an issue on its own merits, and if it turns out to be beneficial to us as a country, then we should do it, regardless of whether or not the founding fathers would have approved.
    Of course, that is why the writers left some of the language so nebulous, so that it could be interpreted to best fit the needs of the people in the future. The General Welfare clause you brought up is an excellent example.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Pardon my tardiness. As you requested....
    Yes thats what Thomas Jefferson said, however they are other founding fathers like Alexander Hamilton, who had more to do with writing the Constitution than Jefferson did by the way, who disagrees. So by saying you want to follow the interpretation of the Founding Fathers you have to be disagreeing with yourself, because they disagreed with themselves, or you have to pick and choose which Founding Father's opinion you want to support. In that case you clearly cannot say you are following the Founder Fathers' opinions because you're leaving some out. Its a simple fact that you cannot follow every Founding Father's opinion and Constitutional interpretation because they contradict each other.

    For example, again, we have Alexander Hamilton who helped write the Constitution and Thomas Jefferson who helped write the Declaration of Independence, both Founding Fathers, and both in disagreement over who should have the authority to interpret it. You cannot have it both ways.

  8. #158
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Yes thats what Thomas Jefferson said, however they are other founding fathers like Alexander Hamilton, who had more to do with writing the Constitution than Jefferson did by the way, who disagrees. So by saying you want to follow the interpretation of the Founding Fathers you have to be disagreeing with yourself, because they disagreed with themselves, or you have to pick and choose which Founding Father's opinion you want to support. In that case you clearly cannot say you are following the Founder Fathers' opinions because you're leaving some out. Its a simple fact that you cannot follow every Founding Father's opinion and Constitutional interpretation because they contradict each other.

    For example, again, we have Alexander Hamilton who helped write the Constitution and Thomas Jefferson who helped write the Declaration of Independence, both Founding Fathers, and both in disagreement over who should have the authority to interpret it. You cannot have it both ways.
    Madison had more to do with writing the constitution than Hamilton did and he alligned with Jefferson.

    In fact, the main differences today regarding constitutional interpretation can really be traced directly back to the disagreements between the Jefferson/Madison school of thought and the Hamilton/Adams school of thought.

    Unfortunately, back then they were consistent in their views, while the modern politicalparties will pick and choose when to be Jeffersonian and when to be Hamiltonian based solely on how these interpretations will assist their own personal views on specific issues. There is a distinct lack of philosophical consistency for many.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #159
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Unfortunately, back then they were consistent in their views, while the modern politicalparties will pick and choose when to be Jeffersonian and when to be Hamiltonian based solely on how these interpretations will assist their own personal views on specific issues. There is a distinct lack of philosophical consistency for many.
    I think that in certain cases it can be argued that while there is little historical consistency, if there is internal consistency for the modern thinker, they are still on better ground than they would be otherwise. There is no rule that one should build their views solely based on the thoughts of historical figures.

  10. #160
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Is founding fatherism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    1- I love the Constitution.
    not buying it.

    2- Statism? So you are now a converted anarchist? The last time I looked we both valued both a society with a government and citizens with freedom. I hope you have not changed into an anarchist.
    Nonsense.


    3- Abortion????? And what did I say about that????
    So I',m wrong?

    4- You sound like an 9th grade girl in school lunch room screaming "I love him more than you do and he's mine"
    [/quote]


    there you go again....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •